Just downloaded 5.0 64 Bit Install - ERROR

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am a hardware person, and have been working with integrating software/hardware for the past 35 years. Problems are to be expected, it ALWAYS happens because of all the different hardware configurations everyone has, let alone the typical software bugs. Just be patient and WAIT til it is "safe" to come out and play. Typically you want to release a beta version to people, so things can be shaken out and fixed behind the scene.

Last edited:

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Formatted pc, installed legacy version 4 downloaded from official site and gives an error!
The only way to use again bi is install 4.8.5.0 and upgrade to latest 4.8.6.3 via upgrade button.

All these problems also locked my license

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I strongly suggest anyone to THINK first before you upgrade a existing BI4 to BI5. The installer and BI5 importer are having issues with importing your old settings correctly. I managed to get my test install to upgrade but not without deleting ALL BI entries in registry and changing permissions to even get that done. That among many other bugs....which so far you can fix but not if you are not VERY familiar with registry editing....I would not even attempt to use this on a system in which you rely on yet. BI5 itself seems to run very well and less CPU usage is showing on my install....just need to get the upgrade bugs out. If you are starting fresh with BI5 then go for it, should be fine.

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So...
formatted pc and installed an old setup (4.8.5.0) then upgraded to latest v4 version. The license is locked and already asked to support for a reset.

By the way...please can someone try to install legacy v4 version from download page? after the install tells that's non possible to start application correctly and all crashes. Tested on 3 different pc W10x64

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So...
formatted pc and installed an old setup (4.8.5.0) then upgraded to latest v4 version. The license is locked and already asked to support for a reset.

By the way...please can someone try to install legacy v4 version from download page? after the install tells that's non possible to start application correctly and all crashes. Tested on 3 different pc W10x64
[SOLVED] New BI Install, Fails to Run First

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
very interesting, but I had the same issue also before formatting the pc

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
was impossible. After the upgrade I just saw missing zones and synced profiles, then uninstalled V5 and nothing worked anymore.
So tried unistalling and reinstalling 4.8.6.3, 6.2, 6.1 with no success. Was impossible also see the initial splashscreen. So tried also 4.8.5.0 version and discovered that license was blocked.

Now I imported settings in the evaluation version 4.8.6.3 (clean W10 Pro x64 installation) waiting for the license reset

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And after reading all of these comments, I, for one, am most certainly going to give it a week or two before upgrading.
That is a smart move. The folks with the upgrade itch always suffer.

Reactions: Wen

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is a smart move. The folks with the upgrade itch always suffer.
I want to thank all the beta testers for their anxious feedback and helping to shake the bugs out of ver 5. Unfortunately, some are the more novice users and it only adds to their anxiety and tends to piss them off.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to thank all the beta testers for their anxious feedback and helping to shake the bugs out of ver 5. Unfortunately, some are the more novice users and it only adds to their anxiety and tends to piss them off.
They have themselves to blame.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You have to take into account that the software is maintained and developed by one person so there was no way things were going to be smooth.

MIcrosoft have a cast of thousands with thousands doing beta testing and they still manage to get it wrong.

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Guys...i'm not a beta tester.
Beta testers are those users that tested it in the last 5 weeks.

1st June release is the OFFICIAL bi v5 version published on the official website.
IMHO the official release should be published later...or beta tested better.
As you can understand, the blame is somewhere else

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys...i'm not a beta tester.
Beta testers are those users that tested it in the last 5 weeks.

1st June release is the OFFICIAL bi v5 version published on the official website.
IMHO the official release should be published later...or beta tested better.
As you can understand, the blame is somewhere else
Yes you are. You should have the common sense not to jump on literally within hours of release. IF you cant grasp that basic concept then its on you. I have yelled from the bell towers how you should not update BI immediately with ANY release even minor release, you can lead a horse to water....
Just for perspective, I upgraded two my test systems with no issue. He simply cannot test every scenario. The developer could either put updates out frequently with some users having issues or do intensive beta testing for many months. I choose the former that gives users OPTIONS and that is what BI is all about. This way he implements new features and bug fixes FASTER. He pushes new features once a month or more. YOU are in total control. This time YOU made the wrong decision.

The developer doesnt care where you decide to cast blame. Go ahead and move to another product - we know none of those have any issues on new releases:rolleyes:. Let us know how it works out for you. If we dont already have a subforum for that VMS we will create one so you can tell us how good it is.

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I invite you to look on Wikipedia for the difference between beta and official release.

Mine is the most standard scenario. Hp elitedesk 800 g2, i7-6700,16gb ram, w10 x64, 3 cameras.

And yes, you are correct, Those users who trusted the "official" version are guilty.
For the future I suggest to use beta testers more careful before the GO. Zones and profiles are quite important...

I believe you are not making good publicity to developers by continuing to argue and blame users. Fan boys are not useful for development

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I invite you to look on Wikipedia for the difference between beta and official release.

Mine is the most standard scenario. Hp elitedesk 800 g2, i7-6700,16gb ram, w10 x64, 3 cameras.

And yes, you are correct, Those users who trusted the "official" version are guilty.
For the future I suggest to use beta testers more careful before the GO. Zones and profiles are quite important...
Ah, wikipedia, the be all and end all. We are not talking about dictionary definitions here.
I guarantee you that the hp elitedesk is NOT the most standard design, more importantly, its not the the system hardware itself, there are many variables.
Once again, waiting for a week before installing even minor updates is STANDARD and even then only if you need a new feature. You have an OCD issue that requires you to update within minuets of a release. Only a qualified physician can assist with that.
Your suggestion falls on deaf ears as the developer does not read this forum. You can email your suggestions to him, he wont care. Use your common sense. More beta testing is not a replacement for your common sense. I have over 20 BI systems that I manage with no issues by following that simply rule of thumb. If you would have waited more than 10 minuets you would have seen the posts from others with issues. Problem solved.

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The problem is not the dictionary definition, but the time.
The software house already passed the beta testing phase. Publishing the 5 version now means using users as guinea pigs.

The solution is not wait for other users with more complex configurations in troubles!

The link should be removed