Lack of decent wifi cameras?

bob.m

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a camera back at my pond, about 40 feet from an access point and it's in the weather so every couple of years the camera dies.

I've been looking for a decent replacement camera and even contacted Andy (thanks Andy for the quick response) but it seems that wifi cameras are pretty lame (i.e. no starlight, etc).

What's everyone using for a wifi camera these days? I'll be using Blue Iris to host it.

Thx,
Bob

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How are you powering the camera ? Have you looked at ethernet powerline adapter, Not my favorite solution put will work in some cases.

WIFI cameras are not meant for security use. WIFI can be easily jammed. WIFI is very unreliable. Wifi is ok for watching deer or the ducks, but not security.

bob.m

n3wb
Reaction score
How are you powering the camera ? Have you looked at ethernet powerline adapter, Not my favorite solution put will work in some cases.

WIFI cameras are not meant for security use. WIFI can be easily jammed. WIFI is very unreliable. Wifi is ok for watching deer or the ducks, but not security.
This camera is basically to try to catch the critters that are eating my 25 cent gold fish as well as monitor the water level in the pond. Most of my house is POE but it's nice to be able to see what the pond is doing.

I'll take a look at the Ubiquiti cameras.

Thx all

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This camera is basically to try to catch the critters that are eating my 25 cent gold fish as well as monitor the water level in the pond. Most of my house is POE but it's nice to be able to see what the pond is doing.

I'll take a look at the Ubiquiti cameras.

Thx all
No not ubiquiti cameras, ubiquiti point to point wireless.
But you can use a cheap 10 dollar wifi bridge if this is for watching critters.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you do decide to look into that product look for a better price.
That price in the link for the Ubiquiti is pumped way up.($250)
Looking at my order, I paid $136.31 w/tax.