Laptop with 2 x IP Camera CVR + 8CH DVR Motion?

OfficerD00fy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

I currently have a 8 Channel Kguard Analog CCTV system.

I have a i7 4510U laptop with 8 GB ram that I am trialing Blue Iris at the moment.

I plan to invest to purchase two Dahua Cameras.

I am currently looking at purchasing a Dahua 4MP IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS
from ebay below
Dahua 4MP IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS 2.7-12mm Motorized Lens Security Dome PoE IP Camera 614024253788 | eBay

and/or

a Dahua HD 4MP IPC-HDW4433C-A
from ebay below
Dahua HD 4MP IPC-HDW4433C-A Built-in MIC Home Security CCTV PoE IP Camera Dome | eBay

My concerns with these two cameras are that the firmware cannot be upgraded. Are these decent cameras for me to run on the Laptop 24/7 CVR with the analog system as motion detection.

I will be investing in a new dedicated PC for blue Iris when the deal comes around again. The laptop is only a temporary measure until I find a decent $150-$300 PC.

The PC I am waiting for is a
Dell Optiplex 9010 SFF
Core i5 3470 3.2GHz (4C)
4GB RAM
[REFURB] Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF i5 3rd Gen 4GB Ram 256GB SSD Win 10 Pro $179.10 Delivered @ BNEACTTRADER eBay
Would this PC be sufficient to run approximately 8 IP cameras.
I only need 3 high quality.

My other question is can I use the old Analog camera cords to power up the POE camera and then just connect a Ethernet cable to the camera through just a regular switch with no POE?

Thanks
Mark

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Mark,

I would also avoid those Chinese region cameras and instead look at the Dahua international models.

Maybe useful to just go to a 8 port PoE switch since you're already looking at 2 IP POE cameras.

OfficerD00fy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Any recommendations for a 8 Port POE Switch?
I assume everyone here buys from EMPIRE TEC Aliexpress because it's cheaper than ebay and Amazon?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Any recommendations for a 8 Port POE Switch?
I assume everyone here buys from EMPIRE TEC Aliexpress because it's cheaper than ebay and Amazon?
Hi Mark,

I typically pick up the switches from deals I see from various US based vendors ( I am in the US ), thus I would think you can find some good deals also from Australian vendors.

Do take a look at the switch list ( cliff notes in the wiki will have a link if you can not find it otherwise here ), I would think you can find a good switch at a good price on something listed on that list.