Latest new IPC-HDW5231R-ZE IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000018.0.R.210707

Denyskhud

n3wb
Reaction score
Can't update IPC-HDBW5431EP-Z, which seems to be the same family camera.
Below is current firmware details. Tried through IE and Configtool, getting error that the firmware does not correspond the camera
Can someone advise what I do wrong? Thanks!

Attachments

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this Firmware for Camera model IPC-HFW5831E-ZE ? Seems to be the same firmware series as before just a newer generation.

Will this solve the every 33 Hours Camera rebooting problem? From Firmware Version Rhea V2.800.0000016.0.R.200430

Any release notes?

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interestingly this is the first time - ever! - that a Dahua IP Camera “Upgrade” page actually found an “Online Upgrade” by pressing “Manual Check” button did NOT use the “Upgrade Now” button as wanted to go back to PN Firmware from current (unofficial) v16 NP Firmware – have used both versions in the past on the same camera but seeing (unofficial) v16 NP caused such terrible uncontrollable re-booting problems will go back to PN on (official) v18 – trying to solve problems here not create them.

Can download direct from Dahua here – top right pick “International – English” and search input “5831” to find both versions of this Official Release v18 Firmware - ZiP file (extract / decompress before use) with a couple of extra files inside both versions available to download PN and NP
Download Center

Dahua Upgrade (2).png

Have updated two uncontrollably re-booting cameras from v16 NP to v18 PN using Formal / Official Firmware release directly downloaded from Dahua International website – initial impressions of this official v18 PN firmware are good (but the v16 NP unofficial release - the Firmware from hell - also gave a very good first impression and then several months later all hell broke loose) – on Official v18 PN Firmware WDR / Night Vision performance has improved yet again [incrementally every single Firmware update has constantly improved WDR performance originally WDR left at 50% default for only a marginal improvement in low-light performance but now for past few Firmware's WDR has to be turned down to 21% - that is how much low light capability has been added to WDR probably by updating a microchip manufacturer supplied chip driver file] – Zoom and Autofocus have become quick and sharp again – am hoping this puts right all the problems introduced by unofficial v16 - especially the uncontrollable re-booting.

Found the 05 November 2020 article about HP Printer Firmware called “Ink-Stained Wretches” - quite long – see paragraphs 16 and 17 about Hewlett Packard using a 5 month delay programmed into their printer security firmware update to force people back to using only original HP ink cartridges very cynically timed to coincide with the School year

Ink-Stained Wretches: The Battle for the Soul of Digital Freedom Taking Place Inside Your Printer

- you never really know what is in any Firmware – thus Dahua Cameras should be taken open source like the DDWRT Router project or Enigma 2 Satellite TV Receivers – it would also give access to newer drivers (with extra features) from the microchip manufactures of the Chips inside the cameras after all Dahua do not make microchips they just assemble and bring together other peoples microchips.

guho

n3wb
Reaction score
In the zip archive DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.0000018.0.R.210707.zip, I found files DH_IPC-HEAT_MCU_V2.800.0000018.0.R.210707.bin and web-x.squashfs.bin in addition to the firmware file. What are we supposed to do with these additional bin files? This new firmware version installed successfully on my Amcrest version of the IP8m-t2499e. Many thanks for posting the firmware.

Last edited:

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good question - cannot find the answer so far - re "HEAT_MCU" and "squashfs" - "MCU" Micro Code Update? Micro Controller Unit? - "squashfs" fs file system?

The Heat file (DH_IPC-HEAT_MCU_V2.800.0000018.0.R.210707.bin) does have the same date as the firmware update - which implies that it should also be applied to upgrade the camera - but how to apply it - has anyone tried pointing the camera to the official compressed ZiP file archive from Dahua International and telling it to update using that?

But consider that the Firmware file is itself a compressed file (containing 13 more files) that you can decompress with 7-Zip meaning that the camera can actually unpack and decompress files - compressed files supplied to the Camera for Upgrade.

Therefore have we all been updating cameras the wrong way? By following Empiretec Andy who only gives the one unofficial upgrade / update file instead of giving the camera the entire official v18 upgrade ZiP file (that contains 4 separate files & one of those 4 contains 13 further files) from Dahua International website.

What is the Motive behind Dahua International Website supplying official upgrade file also with the additional files HEAT and SQUASH compared to the Motive of Andy unofficially only supplying the one file? Which one has an interest in Cameras working well? It could be said that - Malfunctioning Cameras would drive more replacement camera sales to Andy - While Cameras working well would instead improve Dahua brand loyalty and maintain installed camera base numbers but lessen sales of replacement cameras in the short term.

Who is going to be the one to point their camera to the Dahua International Official downloaded ZiP file and tell it to upgrade using all four files in the Official Dahua ZiP? What would the camera do? Nothing? Just say file mismatch? Or successfully apply the updated HEAT file as well?

Anyone who is experienced with TFTP or Serial Camera recovery know what those files do? Or have actually upgraded those files?

Official v18 Upgrade from Dahua supplies those EXTRA files thus implying they should be updated as well as the firmware file so all the file dates and versions match.

Having looked in the firmware file with 7-Zip there are 13 files inside - there is a "web-x.squashfs.img" but not a "web-xsquashfs.bin" and the file size is different - there is no file similar to the HEAT file in the official v18 Dahua International upgrade ZiP file.

Looking in the HEAT file with 7-Zip there are 3 more files compressed in there as well - Install - mcu.bin.img - sign.img

There is a command you can fire at a camera from the address bar of an internet browser that among other things gives a H/W (Hardware) Revision number - in my experience all it has ever replied was hardware version 1.0 - so what is Andy talking about re old vs new hardware being supplied for the same camera model numbers - which means that the only possibilities left for differing results are:-

1. Aging camera hardware that is developing a fault so is not fully / correctly applying (uncorrupted by hardware fault) firmware OR

2. The HEAT file is mismatched in version and age with the new firmware file and that mismatch / clash between the upgraded and non-upgraded HEAT file is causing a problem that Andy mistakenly calls an old hardware version / older design of same camera model - will go and try and find the command mentioned.

In the zip archive DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.0000018.0.R.210707.zip, I found files DH_IPC-HEAT_MCU_V2.800.0000018.0.R.210707.bin and web-x.squashfs.bin in addition to the firmware file. What are we supposed to do with these additional bin files? This new firmware version installed successfully on my Amcrest version of the IP8m-t2499e. Many thanks for posting the firmware.
Right now just use back old firmware and check if this still happen.
I will report this firmware's bug to dahua. When you bought these cameras from us, sometimes if too old the camera may not work well to the latest new firmware. Hardware will have a little difference because these cams are on the market for 4-5 years.

Last edited:

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Upgraded 3 of my 5231's. One didn't like it and I had to do a TFTP recovery on it (which was interesting as it was giving "no dr command found"). But it is all good now.

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Calm down IAmATeaf - Stop pretending that you don’t understand any of it especially considering all the problems you were also having with unofficial v16 firmware from Andy - there is none so blind as he who will not see
What the hell are you in about?
For me personally, v16 is the best of a bad bunch for me with IVS enabled. I’ve tested and compared the last 3 releases on my cams.
@Dramus a few users have reported restart issues with v16.
How many cams do you have that are randomly restarting? None of mine restart, I did reset them to default a number of times after applying the firmware.

The substream resetting I have with all of my cams, so substream 1 resets to default and substream 2 becomes disabled.
For me with v16 if you change any of the properties on substream1 or enable substream 2, after a restart, substream 1 has reset back to default values and substream 2 is disabled.

All 6 of my 5231-ze cams do this as I’ve tested this on all. I used to use the 720p substream on substream 2 but now have set BI to just use substream 1 in case the cam ever reboots by itself.
If they are going to fix this then also substream 2 being disabled on restart, if that could also be fixed

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All the problems you describe having IAmATeaf - you can't have already forgotten.....

I always use IE when managing the cams as that seems to work the best.

Have to admit this for me has been the best firmware with all the annoying issues that I had with previous versions fixed.
I just upgraded 2 of my 5231-ze cams, things to note:

1) For both of the cams that I tested this on, the first time I tried the upgrade, it seemed to go through the steps but then within 10-15 seconds it rebooted the cam. On logging on to the cam the firmware was still the old version. So I did it again and this time I saw the upgrade progress bar and the cam updated as expected. No idea why it seemed to not perform the update on the first attempt, can only surmise that maybe it was preparing the cam for the upgrade?
2) Substream 1 and 2 settings are maintained after a restart, on the previous version of the firmware, substream 2 would always be disabled and substream 1 would always be set back to default values.
3) On some versions of the previous firmware the Video Detection option would get re-enabled after a restart which would cause havoc with my IVS rules as it would trigger the cams on any motion. With this version of the firmware the Video Detection setting is also maintain after a restart.

All in all I'm very happy with this version of the firmware and all the bugs that I had previously reported have been fixed :)

Going to leave this running on the 2 cams for a few days before committing to updating my other 5231-ze cams.

EDIT: Forgot to thank Andy for the update :)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@Panopticon
I am a little shocked for your posting about this, till now no one buy from me report his camera dead because using my fw, why i kill my customers cameras and sell new ones again? The hardware update is the main reason for updating their systems Not they kill their cams because of update my fw, i have lots of clients use our cams for 4-5 years and still can get the update service from me, sometimes NVR/ptz is easy to brick if use the wrong fw, I am trying my best to help them out.
If you don't trust our firmware, just go to find official dahua or your cams supplier.

I also can tell you i have the authorize to get the latest new firmware even they are still at Beta.

I also tell you, some guys try to replace their HDW5231R-ZE to IPC-T5442T-ZE ones, i ask them to wait 1-2 years because those cams still work great, not easy to earn money at covid days.

Sharing the firmware here also try to help more guys to get the latest new fw no matter where you buy from. Sure talking the bugs always welcome!

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Right now the 20210710 is the only fw for this series, and others all Abandoned. If your camera keep booting may have to ask for warranty.

1628087563926.png

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy why exactly are you "shocked"? When you just said "Sure talking the bugs always welcome!" - This is definitely talking about a re-boot bug (among many other bugs) that your unofficial v16 firmware caused - firmware that is applicable for 70 different models of Camera.

Now you are talking about "If your camera keep booting may have to ask for warranty." as you have also said how old the affected cameras are and they are end of life etc. so how long is the warranty (that you are referring to) exactly? Everyone will really (NOT) thank you for that one.

Surely the people with cameras that suddenly have problems since your unofficial v16 firmware should be "shocked" - not you - as you alone were the supplier of their camera problems and their extra needless work trying to resolve / control the problems you supplied via your unofficial v16 firmware - that you said was "an important update Please try to update ASAP" - so everybody acted in good faith and updated because of what you wrote - and then several months later the problems started - just like HP did with their printer firmware update that only took full effect 5 months later in the article that I linked to.

Andy are you seriously saying that people should thank you for your unofficial v16 firmware causing many different problems / warranty claims on their cameras?

Andy - Why do you withhold the rest of the extra Upgrade files ("HEAT_MCU" and "squashfs") that Dahua International website supplies for the same(?) (but from official manufacturer source) v18 Upgrade? And what do those extra files (only with the officially supplied v18 upgrade) that you deliberately hold back - do exactly?

What shocks me is that you just now replied the same day - when before it took you over two and a half months to reply to even acknowledge the problems your unofficial v16 caused.

Re your Beta comment you have never said your unofficial Firmware is Beta before - all you said was that v16 was an important upgrade and to upgrade - so we are unpaid Research and Development for firmware and if it goes horribly wrong then guess what Andy can sell the unpaid R&D department replacement cameras - as Andy just said "why i kill my customers cameras and sell new ones again?" the oldest motive in the world - profit.

Here is the latest new firmware for these models
This new firmware is a important update, Please try to update asap.

Models support.

IPC-HDW5231R-Z/ZE
IPC-HFW5231E-Z/Z5/Z12/ZE/Z5E/Z12E
IPC-HDBW5231R-Z/ZE
IPC-HDBW5231E-Z/ZE
IPC-HDW4231EM-AS/ASE, IPC-HDBW4231F-AS, IPC-HDBW4231E-AS/ASE , IPC-HFW4231S,IPC-HFW4231E-S/SE.
IPC-HDBW4431F-AS
IPC-HDW4XXX-ASE
IPC-HDW5XX-ZE
IPC-HFW5XXX-ZE, IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E, IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-HDBW4239R-ASE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-HDW5831R-ZE
IPC-HDW5631R-ZE
IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE
IPC-HDBW4831E-ASE
Out of no-where, the reboot bug has hit me!! Heck, even changing firmware is going to be risky as I can't keep the camera stable.

Update: Powered down the camera for a while, and as soon as it was up I performed the update (downgrade) to V2.800.0000013.0.R, Build Date: 2019-12-02 as I didn't have v15 handy.

@EMPIRETECANDY, appreciate the effort, but you need to pull the link to this firmware down before someones cams get bricked.

Here were the Abort\reboot logs running v16. Strange this is the camera was operating fine for days then it just kicked it "wham" and was down more than a pair of honeymooners knickers.

12021-01-21 12:57:01SystemStart up
22021-01-21 12:57:01SystemAbort
32021-01-21 12:55:40SystemReboot
42021-01-21 12:48:57SystemStart up
52021-01-21 12:48:57SystemAbort
62021-01-21 11:51:16SystemStart up
72021-01-21 11:51:16SystemAbort
82021-01-21 05:44:44SystemStart up
92021-01-21 05:44:44SystemAbort
102021-01-21 05:43:22SystemReboot
112021-01-21 05:14:22SystemStart up
122021-01-21 05:14:22SystemAbort

@Panopticon
I am a little shocked for your posting about this, till now no one buy from me report his camera dead because using my fw, why i kill my customers cameras and sell new ones again? The hardware update is the main reason for updating their systems Not they kill their cams because of update my fw, i have lots of clients use our cams for 4-5 years and still can get the update service from me, sometimes NVR/ptz is easy to brick if use the wrong fw, I am trying my best to help them out.
If you don't trust our firmware, just go to find official dahua or your cams supplier.

I also can tell you i have the authorize to get the latest new firmware even they are still at Beta.

I also tell you, some guys try to replace their HDW5231R-ZE to IPC-T5442T-ZE ones, i ask them to wait 1-2 years because those cams still work great, not easy to earn money at covid days.

Sharing the firmware here also try to help more guys to get the latest new fw no matter where you buy from. Sure talking the bugs always welcome!
Right now the 20210710 is the only fw for this series, and others all Abandoned. If your camera keep booting may have to ask for warranty.

View attachment 97334

Last edited:

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Found the command I mentioned to interrogate cameras for Hardware Version via web browser address bar which is http://<IP ADDRESS>/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo - will need to reply with camera log in credentials for a result - with thanks to those quoted

Another little trick to ID rebranded Dahua cameras is to use the web API.

http://<IP ADDRESS>/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo

That will return something like this (in the case of this Amcrest IP4M-1051 PTZ):

appAutoStart=true
deviceType=IP4M-1051
hardwareVersion=1.00
processor=S3LM
serialNumber=AMCXXXXXXXXXXXXX
updateSerial=IPC-AW46W-5G
updateSerialCloudUpgrade=IPC-AW46W-5G:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hoping somebody can help me out with my attempts to flash my Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW to Dahua IPC-HDW2531TP-AS firmware. I am hoping to enable some of the IVS functions but haven't had any luck with changing the firmware.
I tried the "DH_IPC-HX25(8)XX-Molec_MultiLang_NP_V2.800.0000000.19.R.200628" firmware everyone seems to have success with, as well as a number of other firmware bins listed for this camera. None of them worked using the GUI console or the ConfigTool, except for the "Amcrest_IPC-HX25(8)XX-Molec_Eng_N_AMCREST_V2.800.00AC001.0.R.201230" firmware.

I checked the system info and get the following:
appAutoStart=true
deviceType=IP5M-T1179E
hardwareVersion=1.00
processor=SSC328Q
serialNumber=AMC060F2**
updateSerial=IPC-HDW2531TP-AS
updateSerialCloudUpgrade=IPC-HDW2531TP-AS:01:02:02:7C:3D:00:01:10:01:00:04:400:00:00:00:00:00:01:00:00:100

The updateSerialCloudUpgrade is the same as HWID @pozzello posted back on post #84, so I figured it was the same hardware. However after having no luck I turned to the TFTP method and tried to run "printenv" by using the following commands.txt instructions:
printenv
tftp 0x82000000 .FLASHING_DONE_STOP_TFTP_NOW
sleep 5

The console window output is below but it indicates that the "cmd: (printenv) is not support! ". o_O

Ncat: Version 7.40 ( Ncat - Netcat for the 21st Century )
Ncat: Listening on 192.168.254.254:5002
gBootLogPtr:20b80008.
NAND: SPINAND: _MDrv_SPINAND_GET_INFO:error, Found SPINAND INFO
(0xEF) (0xAA) (0x21)
SPINAND: board_nand_init:error, CIS contains part info
128 MiB
partition file version 2
rootfstype squashfs root /dev/mtdblock12
partition file version 2
gParameter[0]:node=bootargs, parameter=mem=260096K console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/mtdblock12 rootfstype=squashfs LX_MEM=0xFE00000 mma_heap=mma_heap_name0,miu=0,sz=0x84B4000.
gParameter[1]:node=upgradeMode, parameter=switchBootPart=1.
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
TEXT_BASE:21000000
Net: fail to load bootargsParameters.txt
fail to load bootargsParameters.txt file
MAC Address 9C:8E:CD:::**
Auto-Negotiation...
Link Status Speed:100 Full-duplex:1
MMC: DGS info:start addr=0x2fd7c000
dgsBufStart:0x2fd7c000
partition file version 2
dgs offset:0x500000 size:0x100000
[DGS]:dgs_BootCreate
[DGS]:readPtrC:0 writePtr:0 covered:0
[DGS]:dgs_BootCreate end
Invalid addr 0x23000000, the fixed default addr is 0x22000000
MDrv_EMAC_start
RBQP_BASE=0x21080000
Using sstar_emac device
TFTP from server 192.168.254.254; our IP address is 192.168.1.251; sending through gateway 192.168.1.1Download Filename 'upgrade_info_7db780a713a4.txt'.Download to address: 0x22000000
Downloading: *
done
Bytes transferred = 126 (7e hex)
disable wdt
string value is 0
The end of file
cmd:(printenv) is not support!
Invalid addr 0x82000000, the fixed default addr is 0x22000000
MDrv_EMAC_start
RBQP_BASE=0x21080000
Using sstar_emac device
TFTP from server 192.168.254.254; our IP address is 192.168.1.251; sending through gateway 192.168.1.1Download Filename '.FLASHING_DONE_STOP_TFTP_NOW'.Download to address: 0x22000000
Downloading: #
done
cmd:(sleep 5) is not support!
partition file version 2
fail to load bootargsParameters.txt
fail to load bootargsParameters.txt file
cmdLine mem=260096K root=/dev/mtdblock12 rootfstype=squashfs LX_MEM=0xFE00000 mma_heap=mma_heap_name0,miu=0,sz=0x84B4000
MDrv_EMAC_start
RBQP_BASE=0x21080000

Does anyone any any ideas as to what the heck is going on? I'm stumped and don't understand if I am doing something wrong or the camera is just locked out somehow. I did a port scan on the camera and only have ports 80, 554, 1935, & 37777 opened, so I can't telnet or SSH into it. With the Amcrest firmware it is working fine, just without the IVS functions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

EDITED: To reduce size using Spoiler.

UPDATE: Problem solved, well at least I was able to flash my camera and update the firmware. Posting this to help anyone else with the same problem.

I realized that I was having problems extracting my .bin files since I was not changing the files to .zip after editing the first two bytes. I was then able to open the Install and HWID files. Confirmed the hardware ID was correct based on my system info data above. Then used the install file to make the following commands.txt.
tftp 0x82000000 partition-x.cramfs.img; flwrite
tftp 0x82000000 kernel.img; flwrite
tftp 0x82000000 romfs-x.squashfs.img; flwrite
tftp 0x82000000 web-x.squashfs.img; flwrite
tftp 0x82000000 .FLASHING_DONE_STOP_TFTP_NOW
sleep 5

After flashing using the TFTP method, I was able to get into the camera but none of the menus would open or display. I then went to the ConfigTool and the able to reflash using the original .bin file. Now the camera is fully operational and updated to Dahua firmware. I used the newest firmware General_IPC-HX25(8)XX-Molec_MultiLang_NP_V2.800.0000000.24.R.201014 found on the Dahua site for the IPC-HDW2531TP-AS camera. Hopefully this can help someone else.

Thank you all for all the great information in this thread and on this site!

Last edited:

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What exactly is mysteriously happening within 4 years? re the below quote

All models within 4 years will have to make upgrade, maybe this is the last time upgrade for all these end of life products.
Priceless - "others (Firmware) all Abandoned" - Andy you make it sound like people wanted to stay on v16! - Andy you must be joking!

Nobody could wait to get away from your defective unofficial v16 firmware fast enough - trouble was there was no newer firmware available to rid people of the plague of your unofficial v16 firmware from 05 June 2020 until v18 from Dahua direct dated 07 July 2021.

That is over an entire year stuck on your problematic unofficial - and now Andy tells us "Beta" v16 firmware.

For some reason it was not possible to downgrade the firmware on the cameras we tried to downgrade - and while everyone warns of the risks of upgrading firmware the same people blithely ignore the even greater risks when having to downgrade defective firmware - they then claim to have downgraded but never say how exactly - therefore stuck on v16 firmware from hell for over a year until this fix / upgrade just came out

View attachment 97334

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You’re commenting on files that you don’t even know what they are for but also at the same time asking Andy why he withheld them?

If you’re looking for the perfect firmware then maybe you should be looking elsewhere?

I reported my finding on the various firmware’s that I tested and reported back here so that forum users and Andy I aware, that’s why I joined the forum, to help me and others.

None of my cams suffered from any random reboot issues on any of the firmwares that I tested including v16 and in fact I ended up using v16 until this latest version came out.

Andy does not write or develop the firmware but he certainly has closer ties with Dahua then any of us here and most importantly they listen to him when he provides user feedback.

Do I trust Andy, off course I do, if you don’t then just avoid using the firmware updates he provides but don’t post here having a bitch at him with your nonsensical claims of hiding things and pushing users to upgrade etc. that’s totally uncalled for.

Everybody here is free to upgrade or not and in fact the mantra here is only upgrade if you are trying to resolve issues. Me, I like to play around but with my liking to play around I accept the risks associated with updating the firmware.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I always run the latest firmware I get from Andy or Dahua but that is me .........

:)

livin-amp-039-on-the-edge_o_5166365.jpg