led floodlights with motion sensing

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What's a quality led floodlight with motion sensing? I'm assuming led is far along enough to be a good replacement for halogen and be more cost efficient. Is that correct? Also, if I have a night camera in the area of the floodlight, should I look for a floodlight that can also put out infrared?

I've asked this in a separate thread, are there any floodlights with a USB or outlet port that one can connect a camera to? Would that be helpful or is it much better to use junction boxes to pull the power from the floodlights?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What's a quality led floodlight with motion sensing? I'm assuming led is far along enough to be a good replacement for halogen and be more cost efficient. Is that correct? Also, if I have a night camera in the area of the floodlight, should I look for a floodlight that can also put out infrared?

I've asked this in a separate thread, are there any floodlights with a USB or outlet port that one can connect a camera to? Would that be helpful or is it much better to use junction boxes to pull the power from the floodlights?
Led has been a reliable suitable solution for many years now. Led bulbs are very efficient and if you are using halogen now, simply swap out the bulbs. I would recommend leaving them on all night. If you have a switch with a neutral wire controlling the lights then install a smart switch and have it turn on/off sunset/sunrise. If you have motion trigger the lights you will miss some footage as the camera adjusts. With white light you can run the camera in day mode. If you insist on an ir flood light you can try this though its crazy overpriced (with this bulb you will not be able to use a motion sensor) LIFX BR30 +

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unless you have a specific need to house the sensor in the light fixture, using separate parts would likely produce a better result.

From my experience, many of the combo units are quite average quality.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not asking about a combo floodlight and camera. I meant if I have a camera near a standard floodlight, would it help if floodlight could do infrared. I see now that it's kind of a dumb question. Anyhow, I ran into these and they seem to have good reviews, but very pricey:
Led has been a reliable suitable solution for many years now. Led bulbs are very efficient and if you are using halogen now, simply swap out the bulbs. I would recommend leaving them on all night. If you have a switch with a neutral wire controlling the lights then install a smart switch and have it turn on/off sunset/sunrise. If you have motion trigger the lights you will miss some footage as the camera adjusts. With white light you can run the camera in day mode. If you insist on an ir flood light you can try this though its crazy overpriced (with this bulb you will not be able to use a motion sensor) LIFX BR30 +
I'm not sure I feel comfortable running the floodlights all night, electricity is pretty pricey where i'm from. Of course I havent done the math for 6 pairs (halogen (150w? or led 25w). I guess I will need to do that first to see if leaving it on all night is doable. Then I'd have to try it and see how I feel about it. Although, maybe its not all or nothing, maybe I can keep my driveway light on all night. Put in leds without motion sense there. And on other sides, put in halogen with motion sensing.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not asking about a combo floodlight and camera. I meant if I have a camera near a standard floodlight, would it help if floodlight could do infrared. I see now that it's kind of a dumb question. Anyhow, I ran into these and they seem to have good reviews, but very pricey:

I'm not sure I feel comfortable running the floodlights all night, electricity is pretty pricey where i'm from. Of course I havent done the math for 6 pairs (halogen (150w? or led 25w). I guess I will need to do that first to see if leaving it on all night is doable. Then I'd have to try it and see how I feel about it. Although, maybe its not all or nothing, maybe I can keep my driveway light on all night. Put in leds without motion sense there. And on other sides, put in halogen with motion sensing.
An 800 or so lumen outdoor led flood will use about 10w. Even if you lived in the priciest location it would cost you about about 6 bux per year per bulb at 8-10 hours a night. Cameras/switches/nvr's alarms etc use power too. You are investing in security.
There is never a good reason to use halogen. Makes zero sense. You can use led bulbs with motion sensors if you wish. Led bulbs will use much less power and last way longer. Ive been using full led in every applications for years now.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
I like me plenty of white light. Allows me to run easilly 5442's in full color @ 1/120 exposure
Could you post a pic of what the garage door area looks like from the street? I am very interested in increasing my white light output.

Also, everyone always says not to use motion activated lights as you will loose footage (when the cameras adjust to the lights coming on?), but your setup does not have this issue. Why?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure I'll get an iphone pic tonight

That rule of thumb is a valid concern when leaving the cameras on normally where they would switch from B&W/IR to Color. The switch from B&W to color and the resulting temporary 1-2 seconds of the camera getting its shit together (changing exposure, IR filter moving, possible refocus) can be the 1-2 seconds of video you needed.

When running forced color like I do, it's a non-issue.

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
An 800 or so lumen outdoor led flood will use about 10w. Even if you lived in the priciest location it would cost you about about 6 bux per year per bulb at 8-10 hours a night. Cameras/switches/nvr's alarms etc use power too. You are investing in security.
There is never a good reason to use halogen. Makes zero sense. You can use led bulbs with motion sensors if you wish. Led bulbs will use much less power and last way longer. Ive been using full led in every applications for years now.
Thanks, I needed this reassurance. According to my calculations, the price between the led and halogen fixtures would take me 8+ years with motions sensing, so price wise I was leaning towards halogen even though it didnt make sense in my head. I used a 25 watt led fixture in my calculations, am I going to powerful? (RAB Lighting SMSBULLET2X12NW Two Adjustable LED Floodlight with 180-Degree Detection Motion Sensor, White, Hardwired - - Amazon.com) Also, I looked at my electric bill and electricity ranges from 18-22 cents a kw depending on the season here.
Sure I'll get an iphone pic tonight

That rule of thumb is a valid concern when leaving the cameras on normally where they would switch from B&W/IR to Color. The switch from B&W to color and the resulting temporary 1-2 seconds of the camera getting its shit together (changing exposure, IR filter moving, possible refocus) can be the 1-2 seconds of video you needed.

When running forced color like I do, it's a non-issue.
Thanks for the pictures! So your floodlights are motion sensing and your coach lights are always on or motion sensing as well? I don't like your hour with the lights on, much prefer the motion sensing!

One thing I forgot to mention is that my floods are one second floor. Not sure if that makes it better for leaving on all night or motion sensing.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The coach lights come on at dusk and stay on until dawn, the floods are motion activated.

I would much rather have good lighting to get great camera captures than worry about a few McDonald's meals worth of $ on the year. The satisfaction of getting scumbags like this one thrown in jail is worth the pocket change to me.

ch2_20170613020421-A.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Having the extra light all night is worth a few dollars per year. You calculations are way off. You can buy led outdoor flood bulbs for 4 bux.

You also have not factored in the replacement cost of halogen which dont last nearly as long as led.

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Having the extra light all night is worth a few dollars per year. You calculations are way off. You can buy led outdoor flood bulbs for 4 bux.

You also have not factored in the replacement cost of halogen which dont last nearly as long as led.
So what your saying is to keep coach lights on dusk to dawn on entry ways and motion sense flood lights, with cameras that are watching entryways set to color mode only. Any cameras for non entryways would be set normally and risk the 1-2 second changeover from night to day vision when flood lights come on?

About my calculations, I did them as follows. 10 halogen bulbs at 100 watts a piece, on for 1 hour a night each as an average. Versus 5 led fixtures at 25 watts each on for 1 hour a night avera. 20 cents per kilowat hour. $50 difference a year. I have to buy all new fixtures and the price is 1k for 5 led fixtures (RAB SMSBULLET) vs $500 for halogen fixtures (RAB) + 10 bulbs($75?). So $475 cheaper for halogen initial cost. So 9.5 years for halogens to come out even with LEDs. Let me know if any glaring issues. I'm working on getting better pricing from local electric store supplier.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
The coach lights come on at dusk and stay on until dawn, the floods are motion activated.

I would much rather have good lighting to get great camera captures than worry about a few McDonald's meals worth of $ on the year. The satisfaction of getting scumbags like this one thrown in jail is worth the pocket change to me.

View attachment 60546
It is amazing that even with the lights and the multiple cameras that someone would attempt to door check your cars. Were you notified of this guys attempt? That had to set off the big flood up top, yes? You have 3 fully visible cameras on the front of your garage right?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just the 2 at the garage and the one at the front door. All 3 stay in color but would switch to B&W in the event lights went out. There are others set back about 15ft on the left/right side of the house watching the fence gates leading to the back. So no real risk of losing anything from a switchover

I get an email and a “ding” alert from the NVR push to idmss.

Yes the floods were triggered, but I knew about him 20ft before he got to the vehicle, see the big bush between the driveways just behind the garbage can? PIR motion alarm (Guardline) unit hiding in the bush shoots across the end of the drive. Sounds an alarm on the receiver 3ft from my noggin in the bedroom.

He was caught the next day as Sheriff knew who he was and where he and the other local druggies were hanging out. He hit quite a few cars that night.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
The set

My set up is similar to the link with the LED flood lights. The set up I have is in the dim mode but if motion is detected it goes to full on bright. Then after 5 minutes if there is no motion detected it dims back down to the lower setting. With my Starlight cameras even the lower light setting gives off plenty of light. By the way going from dim to full light is gradual, not all at once. Same on the dim down. That gives plenty of time for the cameras to adjust if need be.

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The set

My set up is similar to the link with the LED flood lights. The set up I have is in the dim mode but if motion is detected it goes to full on bright. Then after 5 minutes if there is no motion detected it dims back down to the lower setting. With my Starlight cameras even the lower light setting gives off plenty of light. By the way going from dim to full light is gradual, not all at once. Same on the dim down. That gives plenty of time for the cameras to adjust if need be.
I don't see dimming on this flood light's spec sheet. Do you remember which specific ones you got?

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why do you have to buy all new fixtures? If you have coach lights on your house, just replace the bulbs. Same goes for incandescent fixtures like BR40 pot lights, just replace bulbs with LED.
Just moved in and all the fixtures are like 30 years old and don't match. I guess I could just live with it and replace bulbs. But im on borrowed time as I've already had glass panes get moved by the wind and I've just put it back gently. So I think I'd rather replace everything and have them match to boot.