Less Bandwidth?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with [mention]bp2008 [/mention] just pick the least utilized channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
update: all in all, WiFi is wayyyyy better.

The only real issues I'm experiencing are this: The PS4 didn't want to connect to WiFi, so I hardwired it. My laptop is super slow sometimes loading websites. It's very unusual - all other devices working quickly. Any ideas on the laptop? Using Chrome - newer Dell laptop provided to me by work, not cheap at all.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear the new gear is working!

Maybe PS4 is an older wifi tech and was contributing to the slowness (albeit not as much as the router) and the new gear won't recognize it? I have an older phone just used on wifi around the house that wouldn't recognize my new router.

Is work going thru VPN? Is the laptop in same place when loading websites?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad to hear the new gear is working!

Maybe PS4 is an older wifi tech and was contributing to the slowness (albeit not as much as the router) and the new gear won't recognize it? I have an older phone just used on wifi around the house that wouldn't recognize my new router.

Is work going thru VPN? Is the laptop in same place when loading websites?
yes, laptop is stationary - Laptop is rarely through VPN - but sometimes it is required. Speed tests on laptop come back good - and I don't experience any slowness in regards to general usage of the laptop - it is just when loading webpages - sometimes it stops and thinks for 30 seconds before it loads.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, laptop is stationary - Laptop is rarely through VPN - but sometimes it is required. Speed tests on laptop come back good - and I don't experience any slowness in regards to general usage of the laptop - it is just when loading webpages - sometimes it stops and thinks for 30 seconds before it loads.
Sounds like a laptop problem and not WiFi related.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also - here's another thing I see often, my wife doesn't claim any performance issues - but I often see my wifes phone connected to the USG, rather than connected to an AP - I would imagine this is weird behavior? shouldn't it be bouncing between AP's? not stuck at USG?

Loubna Iphone.JPG

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well it has to be connected to an AP because the USG has no radio in it at all.

Just a graphical bug I'd guess. You should probably post that on the Unifi Forums.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Investigate any security software on the laptop (e.g. antivirus) which may be interfering with web page loads. You might also consider running an app like [bp2008/pingtracer] to monitor network quality. Any significant fluctuations in network performance should appear on the graphs as periods of elevated, jittery latency or packet loss.

Damn it @CastleSurveillance, the network visualization in UniFi is so cool it makes me want to replace my router and switches with UniFi gear. Unfortunately that would be quite expensive since I run a lot of switches right now and none of them are Ubiquiti, and some of them have SFP+ (10 Gbps) ports in use.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Damn it @CastleSurveillance, the network visualization in UniFi is so cool it makes me want to replace my router and switches with UniFi gear. Unfortunately that would be quite expensive since I run a lot of switches right now and none of them are Ubiquiti, and some of them have SFP+ (10 Gbps) ports in use.
LOL correct. it is very cool. I'm digging it. I also have it on my phone the same way.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The performance data in UniFi is on a very large timeframe. In contrast, my ping tracer app can collect data 10 times a second, which is much more useful for identifying unstable connections.