Less Bandwidth?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More or different hardware will NOT fix your problem.
You problem is 100% your configuration.
Provide a drawing with most of your equipment. Include Local IP address, manufacture and model number of all equipment, indicate in the drawing if the connection is wireless or wired.

===============================
Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
I have already provided that. Please look back in the thread.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@CastleSurveillance I apologize if we've been over this before, but have you tried multiple different speed test services?

Google has one and then there's fast.com which is run by Netflix, and speedtest.net, speakeasy.net, etc. It is possible that whatever speed test service you are using is intermittently slow.

Whenever you run your speed tests, too, it is helpful to be logged in to your modem or router watching the internet bandwidth usage monitoring page. If you had for example a couple devices downloading software updates at the moment when you did your speed test, the speed test results would look bad even though your internet connection was performing properly.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@CastleSurveillance I apologize if we've been over this before, but have you tried multiple different speed test services?

Google has one and then there's fast.com which is run by Netflix, and speedtest.net, speakeasy.net, etc. It is possible that whatever speed test service you are using is intermittently slow.

Whenever you run your speed tests, too, it is helpful to be logged in to your modem or router watching the internet bandwidth usage monitoring page. If you had for example a couple devices downloading software updates at the moment when you did your speed test, the speed test results would look bad even though your internet connection was performing properly.
All speed tests have been done via speedtest.net or it's app to this point.

Using fast.com, my laptop is at 240MBPS wirelessly, while my cell phone is at 140MBPS wirelessly, basically directly next to the laptop. Keep in mind, I am right on top of my router right now.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, based on your network diagram, your speed problems probably come mainly from the mesh wifi.

If you're interested in testing your wifi speed without relying on an internet service, you could use this this app I wrote last year to do local speed testing. You can connect any modern web browser to the app running on a Windows machine, and test download speed only (transfer from the app to the web browser).

1590178540515.png

The web port the app listens on can be configured by pressing the Web Port button. Then you push "Start Temporary Instance" and you can connect to it with a browser as seen below. You'll need to know the IP address of the PC you are running the app on, noting that wifi and wired network interfaces would have different IP addresses. You also may need to edit Windows firewall settings to allow the incoming connections if you aren't prompted at startup.

1590178614995.png

With two windows PCs, you can click the Duplex Test button within the app use a more advanced speed testing method which offers tests of upload, download, and duplex (both up and down simultaneously).

To do a duplex test, start temporary instance on one of the windows PCs, then use the Duplex Test button on the other. You should see the other machine appear in the Remote Host list and be able to perform tests as seen here:

1590179273566.png

As you can see, duplex test performance can be pretty sucky and this is especially true over wifi (the above is actually wired).

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you looking also at the modem/router speed monitoring page to be completely sure nothing else is using the internet?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently trying to play call of duty on PS4. No other strains on WiFi - lagging so badly I can’t play. Fast.com reporting 12MB WiFi on my phone. Probably 5 feet from router.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch. I hope your Ubiquiti wifi fixes it. If not, at least the Unifi software has a ton of features to help you identify problems, even listing all the other wifi networks it sees so you can figure out which channels would be best.

1590187447711.png

Shame on the local monopoly ISP for configuring their routers so poorly. 2.4 GHz wifi should never be on any channel except 1, 6, or 11. But these guys are only internet providers; it is not like I would expect them to know how to do networking.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you manually change the channels in the router? It is sounding more like capacity issue of the router plus significant interference of the wifi channel

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bp2008

As far as layouts of the unifi’s, what do you think of this below:

1. Unifi PRO on bottom floor mounted on ceiling in hallway
2. Unifi PRO on top floor mounted on ceiling in hallway
3. Unifi Mesh outdoors tucked under the soffit with the antennas aiming down and out towards the yard.

3958D687-08F0-4988-878D-6273CC6A3EE2.jpeg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like the router is a big part of the problem!

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The locations seem reasonable.
It’d be much easier to put the main floor one in the ceiling of the garage.

Keep in mind, we spend the majority of our time on the main floor.

Would it make that much of a difference to move it five feet and one wall?