let my gaurd down - ready to fight back with tech

NetWorker

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This is why I mainly deal with 2gig. Much nicer platform, flexibility and cost effectiveness. For what ADT rips people off with I'd ridiculous! When I show a customer the new system and savings, they are floored!!
blake, check your PM please.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got some actual stickers from ADT but I was thinking some monitored by camera stickers would be good to use a well. I was thinking about getting these : http://www.amazon.com/SECURITY-DECAL-Commercial-Surveillance-Deterrence/dp/B002OY80OI

or are they cheesy and fake looking?
They are both those things, but it is a fact that thieves--not all, because many are idiots and or on smack--will avoid a premises they think to be under surveillance. If you can drive home the fact they are under surveillance, many will go elsewhere.

I've read that many burglars hit the same place twice, but generally it's in a fairly short time frame, like within a week.

I was surprised to read that a sizable number of thieves do cut power, so it's not just an urban myth, so a battery backup is nice if possible with cell, if an alarm system.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

erth64net

n3wb
Reaction score
We purchased a distressed (e.g. former swatter & drug house) about a year ago. The place needed to be gutted, which of-course required extensive followup remodeling: we're the perfect high-visibility target for tweakers looking to nab equipment/tools.

Almost immediately after taking possession, thanks largely to networkcameracritic's reviews, I picked up 7 cameras, and promptly installed them around the perimeter. Until very recently, most of the ethernet cable runs were also sloppy, with many wires exposed.

In the past year, our neighbor on the left had had items stolen from her yard (she even has a fake camera), the neighbor in the back/left had their car broken into, two others reported slashed tires a few months back. The one neighbor on our right has caught strangers wandering around her 1/2 acre back yard (corner lot, with minimal bushes too!) three times now, her son's car was also vandalized in their driveway.

We do use the cameras for motion detection, and I even have some of the house lights turn on in a specific sequence if motion is detected (e.g. as-if someone was walking through the house turning lights on as they approached the back door). Other cameras trigger exterior lights (no PIR, just camera triggers). I've also gone outside when I'm in the mood; it's nice to keep responses somewhat random.

We've caught no trespassers (with exception to a raccoon); had zero incidents with any pesky humans.

On the other hand, I do often wear a UtiliKilt while working, so maybe that spooked the perps.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
holy hot dogs that's funny! Hope you're not a roofer :laugh: