Little Overwhelmed - Swimming Pool PTZ System Advice

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
Wouldn't the reflected sunlight from the pool and lake cause issues log term to the dome?

Mikeee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No just direct sunlight will yellow the dome I have 3 in use and the only issue I have is one has glare from the dealership next doors stadium lights which ever camera I place there has.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could always build a box under the deck and put a recessed ptz with dome. This way people have a hard time seeing where it's pointed just keep the dome out of direct sunlight.
SD52C225U-HNI
You aren't going to want anything near the sides of the dome, make sure the box if you make want is behind it a bit. The night IR lights will bounce off the walls of the box and ruin the image. Watch my night video above when I turn and have the tree to the side. The camera exposure gets confused and the IR lights bounce off.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
You aren't going to want anything near the sides of the dome, make sure the box if you make want is behind it a bit. The night IR lights will bounce off the walls of the box and ruin the image. Watch my night video above when I turn and have the tree to the side. The camera exposure gets confused and the IR lights bounce off.
Good to know, I'll make sure its just a shade and mounted quite far above the camera. Any idea the major differences between the two series besides the zoom level?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do the women and parents of young children feel about having a PTZ installed?

Seriously, association/community consultation is required. Fixed perimeter cameras would be my recommendation for this install situation.

Been watching how this thread was developing and have now had my tuppence worth and bowing out.

EDIT: Just noticed that OP has Skippy as their profile pic. If you are down under, would be worth going walkabout to local cop shop and having a chat with the Sergeant about perving with CCTV beacuse there are State and Federal Legislation you need to be aware of, let alone the cabling and supply of network infrastructure. If you are in Oz you need to enage a professional or be prepared to lose your house and everything you own. I am not shitting you.

However, if you are in the land of the free and home of the brave, knock yourself out buddy.

Last edited:

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
Haha yea I love skippy but not from down under but I've heard such stories. The idea will be to set the PTZ to basically "sleep" towards the wall outside of the pool operating hours and only swivel forward from dusk to dawn when our problems are arising.

That said it was voted on to install the system at the latest meeting and passed so we should be safe there. I'm sure someone will have a problem with it but legally with posting notice, no audio and eliminating as much of the "creep factor" as possible hopefully we're good. I do think that's an often overlooked aspect though that is important for people to look into. The legality of these systems differs fairly significantly in jurisdictions.

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any thought to doing away with the PTZ and going with a multi-sensor camera? Arecont (meh), Axis, Avigilon, etc all have different variations out there that give some really good picture and coverage. If it is pitch black at night, I would definitely recommend going with a separate IR and never having to worry if you have good footage.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
Any thought to doing away with the PTZ and going with a multi-sensor camera? Arecont (meh), Axis, Avigilon, etc all have different variations out there that give some really good picture and coverage. If it is pitch black at night, I would definitely recommend going with a separate IR and never having to worry if you have good footage.
I'm open to the idea I just happened to pick Dahua and rolled with it. Would you be able to give a specific setup that might be applicable? My main concern is accurate face ID at night from about 75ft. I know the Axis camera's I currently utilize at work don't have great low light but that was never their intended purpose.

I should also note the nayr's awesome reviews of the Dahua models steered me more towards them.

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Curious. Is notifying the cops when you see them hop the fence on camera and catching them in the act out of the question? Or do you anticipate a facial ID is going to make all the difference?

If you want to keep it simpler. I'd install 2 cameras with IVS to give me push notifications to my phone. When I they are on property I'd switch apps and activate a very loud siren and strobe lights via a wifi remote plug. No one is going to stay in the pool hearing that. After a few times, they will realize it isn't a place worth hanging out. And call the cops if they stay. Put up a few signs outside the fence where they like to approach, to deter them.

$52

SECO-LARM SL-126Q/R Red Security Strobe Light - Commercial Strobe Lights - Amazon.com
Amazon.com: SECO-LARM SL-126Q/B Blue Strobe Light; For 6- to 12-Volt use; For "informative" general signaling requirements; Incorrect polarity cannot damage circuit or draw current; Easy 2-wire installation, regardless of voltage: Musical Instruments
Ankuoo NEO Smart Plug, Wi-Fi, White - - Amazon.com

This is soo loud! Amazon.com: Honeywell WAVE-2 Two Tone Siren: Home Improvement

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mikeee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Curious. Is notifying the cops when you see them hop the fence on camera and catching them in the act out of the question? Or do you anticipate a facial ID is going to make all the difference?

If you want to keep it simpler. I'd install 2 cameras with IVS to give me push notifications to my phone. When I they are on property I'd switch apps and activate a very loud siren and strobe lights via a wifi remote plug. No one is going to stay in the pool hearing that. After a few times, they will realize it isn't a place worth hanging out. And call the cops if they stay. Put up a few signs outside the fence where they like to approach, to deter them.

$52

SECO-LARM SL-126Q/R Red Security Strobe Light - Commercial Strobe Lights - Amazon.com
Amazon.com: SECO-LARM SL-126Q/B Blue Strobe Light; For 6- to 12-Volt use; For "informative" general signaling requirements; Incorrect polarity cannot damage circuit or draw current; Easy 2-wire installation, regardless of voltage: Musical Instruments
Ankuoo NEO Smart Plug, Wi-Fi, White - - Amazon.com

This is soo loud! Amazon.com: Honeywell WAVE-2 Two Tone Siren: Home Improvement
This is a good idea imo I don't think a ptz is correct for this location unless you are operating it in real time.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
I may start with a simple system with 3x cameras and tripwire defined around the perimeter that just notifies board members and pages the neighbor that would be responsible for reporting it too police. I know the association really wants to I'd them but it might not be nessicary as you've stated and would keep the total cost of ownership down along with the creep factor lol.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay so I have coverage with the following setups but I'm having trouble deciding between a few things:
Common Parts:
Dell i5 6500 8G Ram 250G SSD & 8TB Purple
TP-Link 8-port PoE+
Blue Iris

Overview Cams:
4x IPC-HDW5231R-Z
vs
4x IPC-HFW5231E-Z5
Do the benefits outweigh the $30 difference per camera? My max shot is only about 85 ft on one camera and so should I do a mix and get the better for the one long shot?

PTZ Options:
SD59230U-HNI
SD49212T-HN
I really like the 59230 but besides the zoom (12x is more than enough in my scenario) what is the big difference between the Pro and the Lite? Does it really justify double the cost?

Again I am just trying to cover bases here with people that are better informed and thank you all for the amount of help. It's been a great experience here.
Here are the differences, look at the DORI specs, they give you an idea of what ranges an ID can be made.
The z5 has stronger IR as well.
IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 | Dahua Technology

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdw5231r-z-3651.html

Compare the PTZ's:
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/sd59230u-hni-2941.html

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/sd49212t-hn-11761.html

Then there is this one, that's a little cheaper and has less zoom.
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/sd59225u-hni-2881.html

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
Ended up borrowing a HFW5231E-Z5 and testing it out from a local contact and was able to get about 30% of the deck covered with faces visible just beyond the deck at night. I'm planning on ordering 4x for full coverage and then 3 turrets for building entry points. That said I've already caught one of the vandals faces with the test rig and turned that over to authorities who were quickly able to ID the troublemaker. I appreciate all the help of the forum as there's a ton to sift through when setting up a system anymore!

Mikeee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Probably won't need much more once one kid gets bagged word travels fast.