Local Console Login?

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The service does launch and start without any interaction from the user. The gui does loads as a separate process.
Please see the screenshots I've attached... "BlueIrisService" is does nothing. It 100% does not run core worker code... notice 0% CPU utilization, 0% network util. The only BI code doing work is the old monolithic app which IS the exact same code as when not run 'as a service'. All BI did was create a stub to redirect video output from the monolithic app, which runs in the background - nothing special at all.

I get you know a ton about BI but I dont think you understand how modern, even semi-modern, apps are written... the core does all the processing, and the GUI (windows UI, http interfaces, etc) are an abstraction into separate running service. Thus, if the user-facing services crash (GUI,etc) the core service(s) is 100% unaffected. This also for many other benefits. BI5 is still based on methods used in 1995... as I suspect mode of the code is still from that era.
e.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Please see the screenshots I've attached... "BlueIrisService" is does nothing. It 100% does not run core worker code... notice 0% CPU utilization, 0% network util. The only BI code doing work is the old monolithic app which IS the exact same code as when not run 'as a service'. All BI did was create a stub to redirect video output from the monolithic app, which runs in the background - nothing special at all.

I get you know a ton about BI but I dont think you understand how modern, even semi-modern, apps are written... the core does all the processing, and the GUI (windows UI, http interfaces, etc) are an abstraction into separate running service. Thus, if the user-facing services crash (GUI,etc) the core service(s) is 100% unaffected. This also for many other benefits. BI5 is still based on methods used in 1995... as I suspect mode of the code is still from that era.
e.
The current setup allows the gui to close or crash and the service will keep running. Setting that aside, the issue you encountered occurred because you unchecked run as admin its as simple as that. The affect is intentional to prevent standard users form making deliberate changes to the setup .If you have a suggestion for the developer by all means send him an email.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Kinda a PITA as BIT no longer can restart BI when it goes down for whatever reason. Why would this change be made, to require a login with the admin name exposed and no password required seems a bit odd to me.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should be able to "fix" it by running this reg file to enable that setting.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Options]
"runasadmin"=dword:00000001
I just went into regedit and changed the key. All is good now and it seems the BIT watchdog is doing its thing too. Thanks!

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An easier way is to make sure your "require run as admin" and "run as a windows service" is checked as mentioned earlier in the thread...

View attachment 57264
IDK if the registry change made that setting but it is set like that except that I don't run it as a service. I've often pondered doing that but am not sure why I'd want to do that, considering there's no console without having to run the program twice.. CPU usage for BI on a Ryzen 3700x with a GTX 1060 6Gb is about 7% with 5 cameras running, along with a lot of stuff for my Media Server such as Handbrake for compressing video files which puts total usage at about 60% so there's lot's of overhead still.

TXDego

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is my problem, how do you get to the Blue Iris Settings section to make to even check to see if you have these boxes checked? See picture below. If you hit cancel, everything just closes out. I have 3 BI systems set up and working, some have been working for gawd knows how many years, not a single system has a Windows password on them, and all are just stand alone systems strictly for BI only. To make things even worse, the system where the pic I attached is from is at my son's house, he is a college student who was leaving for spring break and decided to check his system before he left, he called it a panic, now he all freaked out that he going out of town for 10 days and his camera's are down.

If anyone has some advice on how to fix this, please advise, and remember, I have to explain your advice to a non-tech savvy millennial college student.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The posts immediately above yours are two ways to fix this.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't know how Ken did not see this coming.

I have been using Blue Iris for years across many PCs and I don't even know the password for "local_console". It is probably just empty, or "password" or something, but still. Crappy user experience when this starts popping up out of the blue.

TXDego

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry Sammy, the post immediately above mine does not fix it, I can't get to the setting page of Blue Iris, Blue Iris wont even open.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't know how Ken did not see this coming.

I have been using Blue Iris for years across many PCs and I don't even know the password for "local_console".
The password is blank by default. You can also use any other username or password.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry Sammy, the post immediately above mine does not fix it, I can't get to the setting page of Blue Iris, Blue Iris wont even open.
Edit the registry key as indicated above and the credential pop up will not present itself. Go to Universal Search in Win10 or Run in Win7, type in "regedit", find this key and change it.

MeauxJeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
You should be able to "fix" it by running this reg file to enable that setting.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Thank you so much. :headbang:

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am struggling with getting my newly purchased and installed Blue Iris (ver 5.5.4.2) configured. [I had installed ver 4 a few years ago, but never got off my ass and used it.]
When selecting "Run as a Windows service" under Settings/Startup, I immediately get a password pop up with the user name of "Blue Iris" already populated. What is this password supposed to be? Blank does not work.

I checked the registry key location for the data mentioned by @bp2008 ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Options]). There is no "runasadmin" value listed there. I ran the reg editor and added a reg_dword with a value of 1 and restarted BI, but got the same password popup window problem when selecting for run as service in Settings/Startup.

What am i doing wrong? Why does this service need a password? Is running as a service not recommended?
post run as servie pop up for password.PNGpost check run as service error.PNGregestry add reg_dword runasadmin.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^+1 and running as a service is advised to if the program quits for any reason, it will restart.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs , @wittaj

Thank you. that at least narrowed the problem down. I don't believe that i set a password nor set the user name to "Blue Iris" when i set up the computer, but who knows. I clearly did not need to enter a password to log in (that i am sure i chose at install time).

Since i did not have (or know) a Windows password, i did some digging and came up with the following fix.

I opened an admin level Power Shell window and typed the following net user command. "password" is the new password, not the old unknown one:

net user "Blue Iris" password

then i typed the command without "password" to confirm that no password is needed to log in (it shows all user account data)
net user "Blue Iris"

I was then able to select "Run as a Windows service" in Blue Iris settings/startup after entering "password" as the password in the popup.

Note: i used something besides "password" in the true script. I use it here for simplicity, and have placed the true password in my password manger for future reference.

I hope this helps someone else in the future.
two added notes of annoyance: 1) The user "Blue Iris" needs to be in quotes due to the space; 2) even thought the net user commend shows that a password is not needed for the "blue Iris" user, rebooting windows shows that that is a lie. Windows now requires a password (I conformed a second time that net user show no need for one). MS PITA . by the way this OS is the home version of windows 10, not pro, which is its own PITA.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same here - it should simply be the computer login for Windows.