Local USB backup of feeds in hidden location

Neil Sidhu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes; i did hide the dups - turned everything off except recording and yet it just wants to chew up the CPU. I got up to 6 of my cams and i was at 18ish % CPU increase. Still had 3 more

Neil Sidhu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i like the drive mirror idea as well but my BI uses 4TB and my backup is only 500GB (goal was just to have min 1 day of realtime backup to this drive)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes; i did hide the dups - turned everything off except recording and yet it just wants to chew up the CPU. I got up to 6 of my cams and i was at 18ish % CPU increase. Still had 3 more
doesnt make sense, something is not right. Ensure you are writing direct to disk and not reencoding some of the cloned cameras.

Neil Sidhu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yup; made sure i copied my settings from the main cam when creating the dup - and direct to disk was verified as well - even tried reduce bit rate under video. As soon as i disable the dup cam - back to normal.

Neil Sidhu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
doesnt make sense, something is not right. Ensure you are writing direct to disk and not reencoding some of the cloned cameras.
Just thought of something but not sure how to proceed.. So since I have the 500gb hidden drive. What if I use that drive as my primary drive (New) and once max space has been reached, then under clips and archiving select the move to folder option and move to aux which is my server HDD 4tb. So this ensures the hidden drive always has the latest before it moves it off. Now question us, how does the aux folder know its full and to delete its contents? Is there a rule I can set on that as well?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not have the clone setup correctly. Or you have a problem with the USB interface.

Moving the new folder off of a local drive will cause more problems. A USB drive being used for record writes to a multiple file simultaneously is long term unreliable.

You are not shooting a Hollywood movie, this is a surveillance security system, set all cameras to 15 FPS with an IFrame of 15 FPS.
The AUX folder has the same parameters as all the other folders. If the remote USB drive is 500 GB, then set the AUX folder to 450 GB and then to delete. Use clone cameras to write to the AUX folder.

All surveillance equipment must be on UPS.

I use a USB drive connected to a ASUS router access point as a clone camera backup. But the USB drive is in a vertical docking station ( reduce heat) and is a WD Purple drive, It has been running for over a year. I originally tried a Hitachi USB drive in a plastic box, it was dead in about 6 weeks. Most USB drives are not designed to run 24/7.

Last edited:

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a nVidia Shield (android device) that I use to stream Netflix, Disney+ and similar type programs. I also run tinycamPro on it which I use quite a bit because I like the layout of how it display 6 cams on one page. It pulls the stream directly from the cameras and there is an option to record, although I don't use it. The shield also has the option to attach a USB Drive - it is even designed to be a 'media server' and has a PLEX server built-in

Perhaps something like this would do what you need?

Neil Sidhu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a nVidia Shield (android device) that I use to stream Netflix, Disney+ and similar type programs. I also run tinycamPro on it which I use quite a bit because I like the layout of how it display 6 cams on one page. It pulls the stream directly from the cameras and there is an option to record, although I don't use it. The shield also has the option to attach a USB Drive - it is even designed to be a 'media server' and has a PLEX server built-in

Perhaps something like this would do what you need?
I have a shield has well but would not want to attach a hidden drive to it as it's in the main media center of my home. Would be cool if BI allowed multiple saving directorys in one cam and not having to add a clone cam. I tired everything and everytime I add a clone, it spikes the CPU. I am using a i7 8700 with 32gb ram.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just thought of something but not sure how to proceed.. So since I have the 500gb hidden drive. What if I use that drive as my primary drive (New) and once max space has been reached, then under clips and archiving select the move to folder option and move to aux which is my server HDD 4tb. So this ensures the hidden drive always has the latest before it moves it off. Now question us, how does the aux folder know its full and to delete its contents? Is there a rule I can set on that as well?
Dont use usb as your primary storage medium. It can disconnect and you wont have any recordings.
As yankee points out, the increase you are seeing could be from writing to usb. Clone the camera to record to the internal drive and you should not see an increase.