Looking for a camera with best video quality

Molbo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.
Long time lurker here. I'm also an ESL guy, so sometimes I might use a weird grammar :)

I think I have a pretty non-traditional question for this forum.
I'm looking for a camera with really good video quality.
I have a relatively large property with some nice views, and I want to put couple of cameras in those locations and stream video to a big 4K TV.
Night time video quality is not really important to me in this case.
Also, I hope I will be able to put a good cat6a to the cameras, so the bandwidth shouldn't be a problem.
And, obviously, I want to do that without spending too much :)

If anyone has any suggestions about that kind of cameras that would be great!
Thank you!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.
Long time lurker here. I'm also an ESL guy, so sometimes I might use a weird grammar :)

I think I have a pretty non-traditional question for this forum.
I'm looking for a camera with really good video quality.
I have a relatively large property with some nice views, and I want to put couple of cameras in those locations and stream video to a big 4K TV.
Night time video quality is not really important to me in this case.
Also, I hope I will be able to put a good cat6a to the cameras, so the bandwidth shouldn't be a problem.
And, obviously, I want to do that without spending too much :)

If anyone has any suggestions about that kind of cameras that would be great!
Thank you!
Welcome @Molbo

Definitely check out reviews by members on 8MP / "4K" cameras.

My guess for your use case is to look for models which can do 30 fps at 8MP. Some models only do 15 fps which for security camera functionality works well.

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're looking for the "Best video quality" I think it's going to be well over $1000, if not $5000 (see Sony SNC-VB770, AXIS Q1659)
I wonder if there are any medium format frame cameras (e.g. KAF-50100 based), that will probably be well over $10000-20000
Canon 120MXS sensor also looks promising

So you better define your budget

Last edited:

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Choosing a good camera is only half of the story. There are many ways for the video quality to be degraded on its journey from the sensor to your screen so you might want to eliminate some of the impediments. Give the stream as high a bitrate as you can afford. Minimise the number of times the video gets processed and reprocessed en route to your TV: any NVR will reprocess the video so if you don't need an NVR, leave it out of the loop. If using a software client such as BI and others, take care to minimise any processing they do on the video. Never sharpen, rotate or otherwise mess with the image coming out of the camera. Choose the codec which gives you the best quality rather than the smallest data size. Live video is cleaner than recorded video so don't record unless you need to. 8K may not give you an optimal image unless every link in your chain is optimised for 8K which generates a huge amount of data. If you want smooth, naturalistic video, you will need 25 or 30fps and while there are a few cameras capable of producing that, there are no recorders capable of recording high quality 8K footage at those frame rates. 4K is plenty for a 4K TV anyway. Use HDMI.

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OP wanted the "BEST video quality" and defined his budget as "not too much" (means nothing really).
I think Sony SNC-VB770, AXIS Q1659 are starting points for him, and not Dahua 4mp with crappy sensor and lens

Last edited:

Molbo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the suggestions!
I figured my requirements look pretty fuzzy.
To be a bit more specific, I'm looking for a budget under $1K per camera.
It definitely should be an IP camera, no way for me to get such a long HDMI connection.
Ideally, the camera should be rated for outdoor environment, I want to avoid hassles related to figuring out an enclosure.
So, I'm looking for the best video quality inside those constraints.
So far, it looks like lenses and sensors are the main quality and price factors. Am I right?

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cliff notes does are just general recommendations and will not answer specific OP's question

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OP wanted the "BEST video quality" and defined his budget as "not too much" (means nothing really).
I think Sony SNC-VB770, AXIS Q1659 are starting points for him, and not Dahua 4mp with crappy sensor and lens
You lack common sense. The OP is not looking for an 8000 dollar+ camera. The 4mp dahua has a terrific sensor and lens. Its all relative.
You also missed the obvious "And, obviously, I want to do that without spending too much :) " that was specified by the op. I know I know, 8k is not too much, its all relative.

Last edited:

Molbo

n3wb
Reaction score
You lack common sense. The OP is not looking for an 8000 dollar+ camera. The 4mp dahua has a terrific sensor and lens. Its all relative.
You also missed the obvious "And, obviously, I want to do that without spending too much :) " that was specified by the op. I know I know, 8k is not too much, its all relative.
Well, I have IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE, it's a cool camera, but I definitely looking for something better than that.
My problem is that I don't know where exactly to look. I've read Cliff notes several times, but it's mainly about surveillance... May be I'm missing something.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I have IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE, it's a cool camera, but I definitely looking for something better than that.
My problem is that I don't know where exactly to look. I've read Cliff notes several times, but it's mainly about surveillance... May be I'm missing something.
If you are looking for significantly better daytime video, you wont find it at your price point. Live with it or open your wallet.

Molbo

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are looking for significantly better daytime video, you wont find it at your price point. Live with it or open your wallet.
Oh, well, time to ask how much is H4 Pro then.
I'm in Vancouver, Canada and know some people who is working at Avigilon. I'm afraid I'm not going to like what they will tell me... :(

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You can stream from many DSLR's. However, then you're looking at enclosures, streaming software, power leads and data leads etc. The advantage is going to be bit rate, lens and processing quality because a DSLR is not a CCTV camera. However, as a part of that, it isn't as easy to set up as a cctv camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Considering this forum is dedicated to surveillance cams, I'm shocked that you found that the Cliff notes contain such info.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey My name is Ray Merchant and I understand the basic knowledge after reading this forum i think you are discussing about a good camera and a good editor but i have a problem for me i discuss here that my home is pretty large but i could not find a good security system to fix in my home for a security reason I used some camera by galaxy security but they have so many issues and I'm tired by fixing it day by day suggest me a good home security system Caledon for my house

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey My name is Ray Merchant and i understand the basic knowledge after reading this forum i think you are discussing about a good camera and a good editor but i have a problem for me i discuss here that my home is pretty large but i could not find a good security system to fix in my home for a security reason i used some camera by galaxy security but they have so many issues and i am tired by fixing it day by day suggest me a good security system for my house
Read this: SebastianTombs Cam Tips