Looking for a Field of View ~140 degrees

sadams

n3wb
Reaction score

I'm attempting to get a view of the front yard and street (20' from mount point to street, street approx. 20' across, front of lot approx. 70'). Dahua (HDBW4431R-ZS) gives me ~90degrees and ~half of the yard. So looking for something ~140 degree field of view to capture more of front yard. I'm not able to find this from Dahua/Hik out of the box...
I'm not too excited about a Fisheye without dewarping (dewarping out of budget) ~$200.00 give or take . I love the multi-sensors, but again the darn budget :)

So how bad of an idea is it to build/back into this camera... Order this lens from M12lenses. Then buy a camera to fit the lens??? (or similar lens specs if another is needed).

Is there a better/easier way or should this work?

From the (very) little research I have done, I think, the Hikvision may be simpler to swap lenses out on? Looking for suggestions/solutions.

For what it is worth, not a real high crime area, have a new Ubiquity switch with POE and wanting to "play" with a Security Cam as I have the spare POE ports, and plan to run to Surveillance Station on Synology NAS which doesn't get much use.

Thanks in advance for any insights/feedback and giving a Security newb some direction !

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm attempting to get a view of the front yard and street (20' from mount point to street, street approx. 20' across, front of lot approx. 70'). Dahua (HDBW4431R-ZS) gives me ~90degrees and ~half of the yard. So looking for something ~140 degree field of view to capture more of front yard. I'm not able to find this from Dahua/Hik out of the box...
I'm not too excited about a Fisheye without dewarping (dewarping out of budget) ~$200.00 give or take . I love the multi-sensors, but again the darn budget :)

So how bad of an idea is it to build/back into this camera... Order this lens from M12lenses. Then buy a camera to fit the lens??? (or similar lens specs if another is needed).

From the (very) little research I have done, I think, the Hikvision may be simpler to swap lenses out on? Looking for suggestions/solutions.

For what it is worth, not a real high crime area, have a new Ubiquity switch with POE and wanting to "play" with a Security Cam as I have the spare POE ports, and plan to run to Surveillance Station on Synology NAS which doesn't get much use.

Thanks in advance for any insights/feedback and giving a Security newb some direction !
add a second camera....with a wide lens you loose lots of detail...in the future avoid china region hacked cameras

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi Sadams,

Here's is the data I calculated for ID distance w/specs of 100 ppf for an example Dahua camera with 3 different lenses:

Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS starlight fixed lens 1080p 1920x1080
w/2.8mm lens FOV H 110 degrees: 10 feet { area covered 95.94 sq feet covered }
w/3.6mm lens FOV H 87 degrees: 12.65 feet { 121.43 sq feet covered }
w/6mm lens FOV H 51 degrees: 21.58 feet { 207.16 sq feet covered }

One option is to get a varifocal model which allows you to adjust your FOV as needed.

sadams

n3wb
Reaction score
Although I love the idea of adding a second camera, I don't have that ability anymore (finished house, finished basement, etc...

Matt thanks for the calculations but the camera I did pickup and tried out (Dahua referenced above) has a motorized lens (2.8 - something) and zoomed all the way out, it is only getting me about half the front yard, or what I'd like to capture... I'm assuming any/all 2.8mm lens/cameras will give me the same ~90degree view and roughly half the yard?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Although I love the idea of adding a second camera, I don't have that ability anymore (finished house, finished basement, etc...

Matt thanks for the calculations but the camera I did pickup and tried out (Dahua referenced above) has a motorized lens (2.8 - something) and zoomed all the way out, it is only getting me about half the front yard, or what I'd like to capture... I'm assuming any/all 2.8mm lens/cameras will give me the same ~90degree view and roughly half the yard?
1- finished house does not impair the ability to add a camera, that his how 99 percent of users install them...you just need a pro to run the cable for you.
2 - there are ways to power two cams off cable...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi Sadams,

Models will vary some, so just use that as an rough guide.

BTW - there's some very interesting multi-lens models...
Best Night time image, regardless of cost

Last edited:

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.