Looking for a good night vision camera

Eric W.

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings my name is Eric and just as the title suggests I'm in the market for a good IP POE camera that has decent or above average night vision.
I have reason to believe that someone I know in the past has been sabotaging my vehicle and it's only at night. I need to catch this person in the act, so the police can have something to use.

I've been looking at cameras for several months now and there are so many different brands out there I wasn't sure where to start. I started looking at Amazon reviews and came across the Reolink RLC RLC-410 camera. Majority of the reviews are good especially with night vision. Now I see that Reolink is coming out with the RLC-511, which has more LEDs for better night vision. I'm near to buying the Reolink cameras, however the major setback for Reolink purchase is the NVR unit. A good chuck of people that bought one said the fan is loud, and it arrived DOA and had a difficult time exchanging it. Good customer service is key as well for me.

I'm now looking at the Amcrest UltraHD 4K IP8M-2496EB. Mainly because their NVR units are getting great reviews, and their cameras are decent as well. However, I can't find much on how great their night vision is?

Does anyone have any recommendations on either camera or have a different camera/brand to look at? I'm open to looking at anything.

Thank you,
-Eric

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
The Reolink RLC-410 cameras that I have are fine in good light, but not good in low light. Even with their IR illuminators, they create noisy images at night.

I just got a Dahua 2231 installed, and it is far better at night. I think most people here will recommend one of the Dahua "starlight" model cameras.

While I have not had the Dahua up for very long, I will also say that the Reolink RLC-410s of mine need to have the spider webs wiped off of them at least daily, and more often would be better. Because of their shape and form (bullet style), they attract spiders who then spin webs that are just far enough from the lens to be brightly illuminated by the IR illuminators, but close enough to show up very bright by the camera lens.

It sounds funny, but it is a serious pain! The webs blow in the breeze, triggering motion detection constantly. You will be constantly cleaning any bullet style cameras that you install outdoors.

I have learned this the hard way. I only discovered this site after I had already purchased these Reolink bullet style cameras. A lot of people here will say bad things about Reolink, and I can't dispute that.

Think about setting up a PC to act as your NVR by using a program called Blue Iris. It is an amazing value, and has features you won't find in most NVRs.

Read the Wiki here and the "Cliff Notes", and hold off on those cameras and any NVR until you know more. I think you will be glad you did.

I made some comparison captures between a RLC-410 camera and a Dahua 2231 tonight. I will post a thread showing the differences when I get some time, hopefully tomorrow night.

If nighttime images are what you need, I would look seriously at the Dahua starlight cameras. As far as I know, they are still the best low light cameras available.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
welcome New member
read the cliff notes in the Wiki . At he wiki is at the top of the page in the blue bar. Also read the other items in ine the Wiki.

Search the forum for answers.

REeolink is junk

Eric W.

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your recommendations.

I never thought about spiderwebs or insects before J Sigmo mentioned them, excellent call. I already have a spare powerful enough PC to run Blue Iris, and that one time fee of $60.00 (because I'm looking for 2 cameras) does sound tempting. Plus a large enough external drive that I can buy for around $100.00, I'd still be saving money over the NVR unit!

I've scoured through these forums yesterday and done some research on the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)and I think it's a really good camera, especially for night vision. It's something that I think would be a great fit for what I'm looking for.

I have a draw back.

I want this kept simple. I feel the more I'm reading about hooking up your camera to the router, as I shouldn't use port forwarding due to exposing the camera to hackers, the more withdraw I have about getting Blue Iris. Then I have to setup a OpenVPN (not sure on that one). I'm getting confused and it seems too big of a mess to deal with. An NVR unit you plug the cameras in and use use the software on your computer, seems simple enough. I've read the guide How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk along with the setting up a VPN, I found out my router does have a VPN feature. I'm just not sure how it would go and I don't want to mess anything up.

Either way, I'm very happy I stumbled upon this forum because there was a lot of information that I had questions on, the Cliff Notes and Wiki helped a lot.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your recommendations.

I never thought about spiderwebs or insects before J Sigmo mentioned them, excellent call. I already have a spare powerful enough PC to run Blue Iris, and that one time fee of $60.00 (because I'm looking for 2 cameras) does sound tempting. Plus a large enough external drive that I can buy for around $100.00, I'd still be saving money over the NVR unit!

I've scoured through these forums yesterday and done some research on the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)and I think it's a really good camera, especially for night vision. It's something that I think would be a great fit for what I'm looking for.

I have a draw back.

I want this kept simple. I feel the more I'm reading about hooking up your camera to the router, as I shouldn't use port forwarding due to exposing the camera to hackers, the more withdraw I have about getting Blue Iris. Then I have to setup a OpenVPN (not sure on that one). I'm getting confused and it seems too big of a mess to deal with. An NVR unit you plug the cameras in and use use the software on your computer, seems simple enough. I've read the guide How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk along with the setting up a VPN, I found out my router does have a VPN feature. I'm just not sure how it would go and I don't want to mess anything up.

Either way, I'm very happy I stumbled upon this forum because there was a lot of information that I had questions on, the Cliff Notes and Wiki helped a lot.
You need to do some more reading...why do you think securing a blue iris machine is any more difficult than a standalone camera or an NVR, its not. How do you intend to remotely view video on your NVR?

Eric W.

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to do some more reading...why do you think securing a blue iris machine is any more difficult than a standalone camera or an NVR, its not. How do you intend to remotely view video on your NVR?
You're right, I do have some reading to do. I know this isn't an easy thing to do, but at the same time I wasn't expecting advanced networking configuration issues. I intend to use my computer monitor to view my cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right, I do have some reading to do. I know this isn't an easy thing to do, but at the same time I wasn't expecting advanced networking configuration issues. I intend to use my computer monitor to view my cameras.
it doesnt require advanced networking configuration...its basic stuff...you should dedicate a computer to blue iris..see the wiki...cost should be 100-300

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting this level of learning and sophistication to be required when I got started with all of this, either.

I just thought it would be nice to have a couple of security cameras so my wife could see who was at the door without needing to answer it. Several years ago, I'd read some about security camera systems, and from reading that, I knew I wanted to go with IP cameras and a program running on a PC. I just couldn't remember what that program was!

I also knew I wanted POE cameras rather than analog video so that I could use that PC-based software in large part because by using that program on a PC, I would not be tied into any one brand or model of camera.

Then I found these Reolink 410s on sale at Amazon, and figured I'd give a couple a try. When I got them, I simply installed the software that they come with and they worked fine. Then I got some more of those same cameras and only after that did I find this site and realize that the Reolinks were likely a mistake. But I also found out that Blue Iris was the program I'd remembered reading about those years back.

Further reading here showed me all of the security concerns, and all about the better cameras, etc. So over some months, I got a refurbished PC to run Blue Iris, and a new router that would make setting up a VPN easy, and on and on.

Don't do this the way I did it! :)

Read up here first, and get comfortable with what's necessary to set up a proper, good from the start, (and safe) system. It'll save you some money and a lot of time.

It is NO HARDER to properly secure a Blue Iris system than it will be to properly secure any NVR. It's the same. Either way, you want to block the cameras and any NVR from being able to directly access the internet.

This is because the cameras and the NVRs are very vulnerable, easily hackable, and often have built-in back doors. They are not only ripe, and attractive targets for hackers, and very insecure, but many have been shown to have built-in "back doors" that allow people to enter your network without even knowing any of your passwords. Not Good!

By default, the NVRs and cameras are made to communicate with remote servers, usually in China, in order to let you view your cameras when you're not at home. They have to get that video, audio, etc., out onto the internet somehow so you can view and hear it from your smart phone, etc., when you're out and about. And because they are constantly communicating with those remote servers, your entire network is now open for attack.

Remember that each IP camera and each NVR is, effectively, a computer. You'd run security software and set up a good firewall for your PCs. But there's no way to do this for your cameras or NVRs when they're allowed to talk to china by default! And once someone commandeers your camera or NVR, they've got a "man on the inside", who can then intercept and do whatever they want with any traffic on your entire network! And, of course, they can now use that camera to not only spy on your network, but also help launch attacks on other sites, etc., using them as "bots" to do their bidding. People like to amass armies of bots all over the internet so they can attack websites, etc. You don't want to be hosting someone's evil army on your network.

So I'd encourage you to set up a PC with Blue Iris. It's far better than any NVR I'm aware of in terms of flexibility and features. Just make sure your PC is truly up to the task!

Shop for better cameras. Get a router that will make it easy to implement a VPN (it's not that hard, and worth it for many other uses as well). Get a good POE switch (and plan on about 16 cameras from the get-go). Two cameras sounds like what you think you want now. But I assure you, you'll end up with a lot more over time. ;)

Reading on this site has taught me a lot that I needed to know anyhow. Some I already knew, some I did not. Some I still don't. But I know where to find out now.

And by reading @fenderman's advice, I was able to find several great deals on fast PCs that he recommended for running Blue Iris. One I got is now running BI for me. Another has replaced an older PC is was needing to upgrade because I run Photoshop, which is a total P.I.G. pig! In fact, having the Intel processor with Quick Synch (recommended for speeding up Blue Iris) is a real benefit for running Photoshop. PS lets you offload some of its image processing to that graphics processor (part of the main CPU), and it really makes a difference in how fast this system can do a lot of tasks in Photoshop.

So I've benefited from all of my learning from this site, not only for security camera issues, but for a lot more.

A lot of the people here have an enormous amount of experience and knowledge. Sometimes they're very curt or even mean. But it's sort of a tough-love kind of thing, I guess. They probably just get tired of answering the same questions hundreds of times, over and over. But that doesn't mean they aren't extremely helpful.

My advice is do NOT buy an NVR. Set up Blue Iris on your PC.
Get an internal Western Digital Purple hard drive to install inside of that PC. That will be better for Blue Iris to use than an external drive. Hopefully you've got some physical space and the connections, power supply, etc., to install another internal drive.

If not, seriously consider getting another PC that's more suited to running Blue Iris. Again, don't imagine for a minute that you're going to be satisfied with only two cameras! Believe me, you're very likely to end up with a lot more of them as you start playing with all of this. Might as well start out right and save yourself accumulating a closet full of too-small switches, poor cameras, a PC that's not powerful enough, etc.

This site is as bad as the firearms and camera sites for "enabling" your addictions!

Eric W.

n3wb
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting this level of learning and sophistication to be required when I got started with all of this, either.

I just thought it would be nice to have a couple of security cameras so my wife could see who was at the door without needing to answer it. Several years ago, I'd read some about security camera systems, and from reading that, I knew I wanted to go with IP cameras and a program running on a PC. I just couldn't remember what that program was!

I also knew I wanted POE cameras rather than analog video so that I could use that PC-based software in large part because by using that program on a PC, I would not be tied into any one brand or model of camera.

Then I found these Reolink 410s on sale at Amazon, and figured I'd give a couple a try. When I got them, I simply installed the software that they come with and they worked fine. Then I got some more of those same cameras and only after that did I find this site and realize that the Reolinks were likely a mistake. But I also found out that Blue Iris was the program I'd remembered reading about those years back.

Further reading here showed me all of the security concerns, and all about the better cameras, etc. So over some months, I got a refurbished PC to run Blue Iris, and a new router that would make setting up a VPN easy, and on and on.

Don't do this the way I did it! :)

Read up here first, and get comfortable with what's necessary to set up a proper, good from the start, (and safe) system. It'll save you some money and a lot of time.

It is NO HARDER to properly secure a Blue Iris system than it will be to properly secure any NVR. It's the same. Either way, you want to block the cameras and any NVR from being able to directly access the internet.

This is because the cameras and the NVRs are very vulnerable, easily hackable, and often have built-in back doors. They are not only ripe, and attractive targets for hackers, and very insecure, but many have been shown to have built-in "back doors" that allow people to enter your network without even knowing any of your passwords. Not Good!

By default, the NVRs and cameras are made to communicate with remote servers, usually in China, in order to let you view your cameras when you're not at home. They have to get that video, audio, etc., out onto the internet somehow so you can view and hear it from your smart phone, etc., when you're out and about. And because they are constantly communicating with those remote servers, your entire network is now open for attack.

Remember that each IP camera and each NVR is, effectively, a computer. You'd run security software and set up a good firewall for your PCs. But there's no way to do this for your cameras or NVRs when they're allowed to talk to china by default! And once someone commandeers your camera or NVR, they've got a "man on the inside", who can then intercept and do whatever they want with any traffic on your entire network! And, of course, they can now use that camera to not only spy on your network, but also help launch attacks on other sites, etc., using them as "bots" to do their bidding. People like to amass armies of bots all over the internet so they can attack websites, etc. You don't want to be hosting someone's evil army on your network.

So I'd encourage you to set up a PC with Blue Iris. It's far better than any NVR I'm aware of in terms of flexibility and features. Just make sure your PC is truly up to the task!

Shop for better cameras. Get a router that will make it easy to implement a VPN (it's not that hard, and worth it for many other uses as well). Get a good POE switch (and plan on about 16 cameras from the get-go). Two cameras sounds like what you think you want now. But I assure you, you'll end up with a lot more over time. ;)

Reading on this site has taught me a lot that I needed to know anyhow. Some I already knew, some I did not. Some I still don't. But I know where to find out now.

And by reading @fenderman's advice, I was able to find several great deals on fast PCs that he recommended for running Blue Iris. One I got is now running BI for me. Another has replaced an older PC is was needing to upgrade because I run Photoshop, which is a total P.I.G. pig! In fact, having the Intel processor with Quick Synch (recommended for speeding up Blue Iris) is a real benefit for running Photoshop. PS lets you offload some of its image processing to that graphics processor (part of the main CPU), and it really makes a difference in how fast this system can do a lot of tasks in Photoshop.

So I've benefited from all of my learning from this site, not only for security camera issues, but for a lot more.

A lot of the people here have an enormous amount of experience and knowledge. Sometimes they're very curt or even mean. But it's sort of a tough-love kind of thing, I guess. They probably just get tired of answering the same questions hundreds of times, over and over. But that doesn't mean they aren't extremely helpful.

My advice is do NOT buy an NVR. Set up Blue Iris on your PC.
Get an internal Western Digital Purple hard drive to install inside of that PC. That will be better for Blue Iris to use than an external drive. Hopefully you've got some physical space and the connections, power supply, etc., to install another internal drive.

If not, seriously consider getting another PC that's more suited to running Blue Iris. Again, don't imagine for a minute that you're going to be satisfied with only two cameras! Believe me, you're very likely to end up with a lot more of them as you start playing with all of this. Might as well start out right and save yourself accumulating a closet full of too-small switches, poor cameras, a PC that's not powerful enough, etc.

This site is as bad as the firearms and camera sites for "enabling" your addictions!
Thank you for the information!

I'm not worried so much about getting a computer, I have a spare computer powerful enough that I can run Blue Iris on.

After reading more into VPNs, here's is what I've done so far...
- My router (NETGEAR AC1200 (R6230)) has a VPN option.
- Setup a No-IP account
- Enabled DDNS on router
- Enabled VPN on router
- Downloaded OpenVPN, installed it

Now it appears I need a config file in order to use it, I'm not sure where to get one or if I have to create one?
I've looked around and found some config files for a subscription fee. I'm hoping I don't need to pay a monthly fee for this.