Looking for a NVR and have questions

AnthemAVM

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have 7 camera's from Amcrest at this timing recording to 64GB cards, all camera's are wireless. I want to get a NVR to record 24/7, record in HD. Can I get a NVR and hook it to my router and then add in the camera's wireless? I do want to get a NVR that will allow for future camera upgrades.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Suggestion as a first test, before the expense of an NVR:

Wire your PC to the router.
Start the browser and connect to the Live View of the first camera.
Start another browser instance (not another tab) and connect to the Live View of the second camera.
Repeat for the remaining cameras.

Assuming the PC doesn't run out of resources, CPU and RAM, the idea would be to pull an increasing number of video streams over the network.
OK, not quite the same as an NVR pulling RTSP streams, but broadly similar, and maybe lighter than pulling the mainstream over RTSP.
I'm not sure if VLC allows multiple instances, but if it does, using RTSP with it would be a better match.

My expectation would be that the WiFi network would start to struggle as you start pulling video from an increasing number of cameras.
But easy enough to do, and may be an interesting result.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
AnthemAVM,

Welcome to the forum!
Wifi for security cameras is NOT recommended. Alairstairstevenson lays out one reason, the WiFi congestion.
I had one WiFi Dahua cam, and I had to reset it every 7 to 10 days. I converted it to wired.
Read more about WiFi and cam network traffic in the following posts:
IP Cameras Throttling Bandwidth
ideas for a reliable security camera system
Separate Network for IP Cameras?
Best Wireless IP Turret Camera

Again, welcome. There's lot of info here, waiting for you to research. Basic questions have been asked and answered before, so it's often easier and quicker to pluck answers from the history, as vs asking questions and waiting for replies....

Fastb