Looking for a video doorbell that complies with this list:

mulderfox

n3wb
Reaction score
1. Supports RTSP
2. Support PC software such as Blue Iris, or others
3. Offers free cloud storage or the ability to automatically backup to email or ftp (aside from the local storage)
4. Is ZigBee or z-wave compatible (or ONVIF) and may be combined into a smart home
5. Allows to use custom (mp3) recorded ringtones
6. Support digital assistants (Google Assistant, or Amazon Alexa, or others)

This is obviously a dream - to get all of these. But even if for items 1,2,3, and 4 it is hard to find reliable video doorbells.

Please share if you know otherwise, and which are the best video doorbells you know.

Thanks

NoFate

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the Hikvision ds-kd8003...

Connected with rtsp to synology, also using Home Assistant for my home automation, so I can use google assistant / google hub to display the camera, open the door with ISAPI command...
All recording is done on synology... With relays you can also connect it to an ESP board to capture doorpress event and do something in your home automation

riogrande75

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Almost all wishes can be fulfilled with a Dahua VTO4202 + VTHxxxx as long as you run it together with a linux box (RPi,NAS,..).

mulderfox

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, about pricing, I am not willing to pay over 200$. most likely less. It isn't a big ask.. it's not that much of a complicated piece of tech, as it can all be realized with DIY parts. I understand that it doesn't provide a great business model to not sell subscription packages, but it is a better way to attract customers in the first place.

riogrande75

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You did'nt get me wright: VTO+VTH is about 200$, doorstation (VTO) only arround 100. So imho pretty cheap for what you get. Out of the box RTSP, BlueIris, ONVIF, custom ringtones,... and decent quality.
It does not work with digital assistants out of the box afaik. This is, where a linux "server" like RPi&Co. steps in to fulfil the rest of your desires.
I (and probably not only me) would never go for a ring or any other cloud only solution.

Last edited:

mulderfox

n3wb
Reaction score
You did'nt get me wright: VTO+VTH is about 200$, doorstation (VTO) only arround 100. So imho pretty cheap for what you get. Out of the box RTSP, BlueIris, ONVIF, custom ringtones,... and decent quality.
It does not work with digital assistants out of the box afaik. This is, where a linux "server" like RPi&Co. steps in to fulfil the rest of your desires.
I (and probably not only me) would never go for a ring or any other cloud only solution.
Thanks for the tip. Thing is, my flat is small, and I simply don't have the room to install this type of doorbell which requires a recess. I am looking more towards models like Amcrest with a wedge to be able to fit it at the side of the door.

riogrande75

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are several other dahua VTO's that might fit better your requirements but offering same features. Armcrest is just a dahua clone afaik.

Froglens

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Eufy Doorbell. Does Rtsp which I don’t use but rather it saves to a base station even though I have a NAS box. Has No cloud fees...supposed to work with HomeKit too.

Works good for me..

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The AD110 comes with a tiny "chime kit" that will connect to existing digital or mechanical chimes. What exactly this kit does, I'm not sure, but it will delay triggering the chime for a few seconds. I assume this allows the doorbell to have uninterrupted power since it shares the transformer with the chime. On my 50+yr home with the existing 24vac transformer and mechanical chime, it works fine. The AD110 internal chime (with 3 selectable tones) is also quite loud, not to mention push alerts to your phones.

AD110 recordings are being saved both on the internal SD-Card and to my Dahua NVR 24x7. Motion alerts also recorded on NVR as well as Home Assistant using the existing Amcrest camera integration, which can also save recordings or snapshots. Google Assistant integration is provided via Home Assistant, and I can stream the doorbell video to a Google Nest Hub or Android/Chromecast TV. One annoyance with HA is that "live" streams have several seconds of lag.

I installed a Eufy doorbell at my daughter's house and they really like it. The Eufy hub acts as a bridge and helps with improving wifi connections to the doorbell if you locate the hub nearby. Eufy has been promising RTSP support for a long time, but AFAIK has not delivered on that promise. If in fact RTSP support is now available, I would be very interested in seeing the news release and firmware download link.

Last edited:

Froglens

n3wb
Reaction score
The AD110 comes with a tiny "chime kit" that will connect to existing digital or mechanical chimes. What exactly this kit does, I'm not sure, but it will delay triggering the chime for a few seconds. I assume this allows the doorbell to have uninterrupted power since it shares the transformer with the chime. On my 50+yr home with the existing 24vac transformer and mechanical chime, it works fine. The AD110 internal chime (with 3 selectable tones) is also quite loud, not to mention push alerts to your phones.

I installed a Eufy doorbell at my daughter's house and they really like it. The Eufy hub acts as a bridge and helps with improving wifi connections to the doorbell if you locate the hub nearby. Eufy has been promising RTSP support for a long time, but AFAIK has not delivered on that promise. If in fact RTSP support is now available, I would be very interested in seeing the news release and firmware download link.
When I go into my doorbell settings there is a wizard for RTSP... I have not done it as the hub is adequate for me right now. Mind you I may fool around with it eventually.
Nice thing about Eufy is you can plant their cams all over the place where you couldn’t bring power to, thought you can’t do continuous recording since they are battery cams. It’s like doing a Easter egg hunt trying to find them all over the place ;)

Nice thing about the Doorbell is that you have the best of both worlds, battery or using existing power.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Froglens - I think you are seeing the RTSP wizard in the Eufy Security app for supporting eufyCAMs only, as described here.

It would be very big news indeed if any of the Eufy doorbell models received an RTSP support update.

Froglens

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah damn you are right.. sheesh my bad It’s the actual cams.

Im sure it’s just a matter of time for the doorbell too though.
Makes more sense for that then the actual cams..

Damn I thought the doorbell had the same settings

mulderfox

n3wb
Reaction score
So, Eufy is off the table for me. No RTSP support, no Blue Iris/PC software support. It's nice that they give you some control, but they keep it all closed. I now lean towards Amcrest. Also, Eufy is priced way too high for what they offer (other than the high image quality)