Looking for advice

msboc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m new here and not even sure if I’m on the right board. I’m looking for advice about which commercial security cameras to buy. I’m am far from a techie though not a total Luddite. But I want a simple camera system for my home. Right now I have a non-working Sharx security camera. The camera is three or four years old. The set up on the computer/phone was not simple for me. So I’d like to avoid a system that requires lots of input. I’d like my new system to have good night vision and be motion triggered as opposed to running 24/7. I don’t mind paying a minimal amount for cloud based storage, but minimal is the operative word.

I had been looking at the Nest-cam IQ, but it’s too expensive with the cloud based stoarage and from what I can see is a continuous feed. I was also considering the Arlo-Pro or Pro 2 but I’m not sure whether there are better options or not.

TIA for any help you can give me.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m new here and not even sure if I’m on the right board. I’m looking for advice about which commercial security cameras to buy. I’m am far from a techie though not a total Luddite. But I want a simple camera system for my home. Right now I have a non-working Sharx security camera. The camera is three or four years old. The set up on the computer/phone was not simple for me. So I’d like to avoid a system that requires lots of input. I’d like my new system to have good night vision and be motion triggered as opposed to running 24/7. I don’t mind paying a minimal amount for cloud based storage, but minimal is the operative word.

I had been looking at the Nest-cam IQ, but it’s too expensive with the cloud based stoarage and from what I can see is a continuous feed. I was also considering the Arlo-Pro or Pro 2 but I’m not sure whether there are better options or not.

TIA for any help you can give me.
Welcome msboc,

Definitely refer to the cliff notes which Q mentions, great notes.

IF you want a reliable system you will have to go with a "wired" setup - that is both wired for power and data.

Most of us here really like IP PoE systems - and yes - it will require either do some DIY work yourself OR hire someone to do it for you.

All the cloud dependent / based systems are NOT reliable, and the wirefree ones ( like the Arlo ) are even worse in terms of quality and reliability.

If you own the house, definitely take some time and invest in a good wired setup. Don't worry if it takes some time to get it up and going - once up it will be far superior to other options available right now.

IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk