Looking for Cam with good night vision for my driveway. See attached pic

mvanders

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an ACTI E37 which is a good cam, but not great for my use. Please see attached pic as it shows a much wider FOV than I need.
Camera to the end of driveway is 75 feet. Desired field of view at that distance is about 70 feet wide but importantly enough clarity to identify someone at night time. Given that there is a neighbor beyond the driveway, I don't want to be shining a white light at them as they tend to complain about everything ). There are 2 street lights, one towards center frame and one towards the right, if that helpful, but not sure if that is enough to use HIKvision ColorVu without activating the white light.
Any suggestions on cameras would be helpful, would like to be under $600.
Thanks

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A camera mounted that high won't give you anything useful. It needs to be down at about eight feet above ground at the most. The Dahua 5442 series is the current, low light,"king of the hill" and is available as a varifocal in bullet and a recently released turret.

mvanders

n3wb
Reaction score
A camera mounted that high won't give you anything useful. It needs to be down at about eight feet above ground at the most. The Dahua 5442 series is the current, low light,"king of the hill" and is available as a varifocal in bullet and a recently released turret.
Thanks. the problem is that it needs to be up high as there is a hill (hard to see in the pic). where the cars are located is about 15-20 feet below the upper walkway. The distance from the camera lens to the far side of the driveway (where the arrow point is located) is 75 feet.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not a question of distance, it's the angle. All you'll get is the top of heads, no positive ID.

mvanders

n3wb
Reaction score
It's not a question of distance, it's the angle. All you'll get is the top of heads, no positive ID.
Understood. Given distances would the 3.6mm be the best? 2.8 seems too wide. 6 may be wide enough but may lose the foreground?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just seen the post re tele 5442 To the OP, that or the 2Mp ze is what I would be looking to get, you can then set your FOV to exactly what you want/need.

mvanders

n3wb
Reaction score
Just seen the post re tele 5442 To the OP, that or the 2Mp ze is what I would be looking to get, you can then set your FOV to exactly what you want/need.
Given I am in the US does the Loryta brand (see below) make sense or is there a way to get the Dahua specific model here?

Loryta IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR Bullet AI Network Camera 2.7mm ~12mm Motorized Lens English Version

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Given I am in the US does the Loryta brand (see below) make sense or is there a way to get the Dahua specific model here?

Loryta IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR Bullet AI Network Camera 2.7mm ~12mm Motorized Lens English Version
Loryta is fine. That is Andy's brand (Empire). He has a subforum here. You should message him here and he can give you a price and get it out via DHL. I got my 5442 from him a couple days ago shipped via DHL from China. Took 3 days to FL.

I agree you definitely need a longer focal length in order to zoom in and make positive facial IDs.

mvanders

n3wb
Reaction score
Loryta is fine. That is Andy's brand (Empire). He has a subforum here. You should message him here and he can give you a price and get it out via DHL. I got my 5442 from him a couple days ago shipped via DHL from China. Took 3 days to FL.

I agree you definitely need a longer focal length in order to zoom in and make positive facial IDs.
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

You will be blown away by the image quality of the 5442 compared to the e37. This is the thread on the turret model coming soon.