Looking for ideas to replace an aged Aiphone intercom - WiFi speker - Arlo,...

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IMG_3660.jpg
My 20 or so townhome has a Aiphone intercom. The kind with a speaker,mic unit in the kitchen. Never used it. Since I am working more at home there is a once in a bluemoon case where it would make sense to talk to Fedex delivery or contractor at door. But of course this would need to work from a iphone.

I do have a BlueIris based camera system that I use to monitor, record etc. There is an existing camera for the door. I believe the Hikvision min-dome camera has a mic. But I do not use.

So, I had the idea of repurposing the existing space of the outdoor aiphone unit with a WiFi Speaker/mic that would terminate with a iphone app.
--> Does such a thing exist? Or something that I could wire together? Would be nice to reuse the existing power for the aiphone

Of course, I could install something like an Arlo doorbell and just cover up the aiphone space with a wall plate.
I don't really need the Arlo camera /recording since I have a CCTV solution. Don't want to pay for a subscription for sure. Also, do not have a need for "not at home doorbell" interaction

Any ideas are very welcome!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 180649
My 20 or so townhome has a Aiphone intercom. The kind with a speaker,mic unit in the kitchen. Never used it. Since I am working more at home there is a once in a bluemoon case where it would make sense to talk to Fedex delivery or contractor at door. But of course this would need to work from a iphone.

I do have a BlueIris based camera system that I use to monitor, record etc. There is an existing camera for the door. I believe the Hikvision min-dome camera has a mic. But I do not use.

So, I had the idea of repurposing the existing space of the outdoor aiphone unit with a WiFi Speaker/mic that would terminate with a iphone app.
--> Does such a thing exist? Or something that I could wire together? Would be nice to reuse the existing power for the aiphone

Of course, I could install something like an Arlo doorbell and just cover up the aiphone space with a wall plate.
I don't really need the Arlo camera /recording since I have a CCTV solution. Don't want to pay for a subscription for sure. Also, do not have a need for "not at home doorbell" interaction

Any ideas are very welcome!
Guess a lot depends on the quality of the wiring behind that

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Of course, I could install something like an Arlo doorbell
If you do decide to install a doorbell since you have Blue Iris, go with a Reolink. Reolink makes crappy standalone cams but their Video doorbell is nice, works well with BI. They have a wired POE version and wired (for power) Wi-Fi dual band) version. Supports both RTMP and RTSP with BI.

Several have emailed the developer hoping he'll come up with a 2 way talk solution between BI and the Reolink.....time will tell!

I installed 2 of the Wi-Fi versions this summer. Love 'em!

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I replaced a similar looking intercom a few years back. link to my post below. behind the old intercom was the garage, so I drilled a small hole straight through into the garage and fished in a cat5e wire into intercom box, then neatly ran the wire up the garage wall, into the attic and dropped it back down inside a interior wall to where the NVR was located. Most people are ok with surface mounting wire inside the garage if done super tidy like.
Another door station Install | IP Cam Talk

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I replaced a similar looking intercom a few years back. link to my post below. behind the old intercom was the garage, so I drilled a small hole straight through into the garage and fished in a cat5e wire into intercom box, then neatly ran the wire up the garage wall, into the attic and dropped it back down inside a interior wall to where the NVR was located. Most people are ok with surface mounting wire inside the garage if done super tidy like.
Another door station Install | IP Cam Talk
wow!. That looks pretty pro. Pulling wires in my townhome is really difficult. I have done a couple, but the stacked/offset design makes it really hard (beyond the garage).

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you do decide to install a doorbell since you have Blue Iris, go with a Reolink. Reolink makes crappy standalone cams but their Video doorbell is nice, works well with BI. They have a wired POE version and wired (for power) Wi-Fi dual band) version. Supports both RTMP and RTSP with BI.

Several have emailed the developer hoping he'll come up with a 2 way talk solution between BI and the Reolink.....time will tell!

I installed 2 of the Wi-Fi versions this summer. Love 'em!
Is there a unicorn like reolink that also allows to keep using the existing door chime with BI support?
I think Arlo allows to keep using the existing door chime... but not sure about BI support

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a unicorn like reolink that also allows to keep using the existing door chime with BI support?
I think Arlo allows to keep using the existing door chime... but not sure about BI support
In the thread for the doorbell there is a guy who shows how to use your existing chime...he triggers it wirelessly with a cheap part of aliexpress....
You really dont need your existing chime, the reolink can hook up to multiple wireless chimes (i think 5) I have it connected to 3. This allows not only better coverage but the ability to adjust volumes in all 3 locations as needed.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the thread for the doorbell there is a guy who shows how to use your existing chime...he triggers it wirelessly with a cheap part of aliexpress....
You really dont need your existing chime, the reolink can hook up to multiple wireless chimes (i think 5) I have it connected to 3. This allows not only better coverage but the ability to adjust volumes in all 3 locations as needed.
I might warm up to the idea. My thinking: keep basic function of the house if I am selling. Are the Reolink chimes wifi or basic wireless?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I might warm up to the idea. My thinking: keep basic function of the house if I am selling. Are the Reolink chimes wifi or basic wireless?
They are "wireless" 433mhz and you plug them into an outlet. You can also buy cheap wireless chimes on Amazon and add them to the Reolink, up to 5 I believe.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like the Reolink is the popular choice.
Amcrest is not as much liked due to video quality and reliability.
How about the Hikvision DS-HD?