Looking for opinions on my options for LPR install locations.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I am happy with the two locations and am going to finalize the install today and start trying to dial them in. I do have some questions on settings.

• Do I need to run the Dahua day/night utility to make sure the cameras switch between day and night at the right time? I noticed some of my shots were probably overexposed at dusk because of Auto exposure during the day.
  • I still need help with getting the cameras to trigger and which settings I need. Do I only use the Trigger tab? Or does the Trigger tab work alongside the Snapshot setting on the Record tab? Can someone post a screenshot of their settings in the different Trigger and Record tab settings menus?
- How do I get less images? The first image will have half of the car, the second will have the whole car, and then I have 10 or so of after the car has left the frame.
- Both of my cameras have the same trigger settings, but one of them is maybe being triggered 3% of the time. Thoughts?

Daytime:
Am I good to run exposure on Auto? Or should I try to pick one?

Nighttime:
I know this is going to be a different animal, but hopefully will come easier once I get the basics figured out with the Daytime settings.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you run 24/7 B/W you will want to use the utility or follow the steps to do it within BI.

Just need to use the triggers tab. I posted earlier my settings, but these are really field of view dependent so you will need to play with it to dial them in to your settings. What is your make time? As you saw in mine I use 0.0, but you will need to play with it. But it will be a combination of a zone, make time, and size of object that will nail this down.

Once you dial in the triggers, just have it take one snapshot. Mine is over 99% on getting a snapshot with the plate.

Or jump full in and use AI like Deepstack or SenseAI and the MikeLud models to get just the plates.

It is best to force a shutter. If you use auto, there will be certain times of the day that it could be too slow. Most use 1/2000 or 1/4000 during the day.

Once you have the camera positioned correctly, it is best to have someone stop a car in the center of the frame during the day and during the night to dial in the focus for the plate. That is where your 6 year old daughter will have fun driving LOL. Remember at the zoom we are using, the depth of field for focus is narrow, so it may be blurry on this side of the street and the other side of the street. Another reason why not to use auto as it may focus on something near and far. Once you set the focus, then switch it to manual.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless you run 24/7 B/W you will want to use the utility or follow the steps to do it within BI.

Just need to use the triggers tab. I posted earlier my settings, but these are really field of view dependent so you will need to play with it to dial them in to your settings. What is your make time? As you saw in mine I use 0.0, but you will need to play with it. But it will be a combination of a zone, make time, and size of object that will nail this down.

Once you dial in the triggers, just have it take one snapshot. Mine is over 99% on getting a snapshot with the plate.

Or jump full in and use AI like Deepstack or SenseAI and the MikeLud models to get just the plates.

It is best to force a shutter. If you use auto, there will be certain times of the day that it could be too slow. Most use 1/2000 or 1/4000 during the day.

Once you have the camera positioned correctly, it is best to have someone stop a car in the center of the frame during the day and during the night to dial in the focus for the plate. That is where your 6 year old daughter will have fun driving LOL. Remember at the zoom we are using, the depth of field for focus is narrow, so it may be blurry on this side of the street and the other side of the street. Another reason why not to use auto as it may focus on something near and far. Once you set the focus, then switch it to manual.
That is what I thought, and it's on my list to set up the utility for a couple other cameras that are weird with switchovers because of some rogue ambient lighting.

My Trigger tab settings are basically copies of yours. I will grab some screen shots.
When setting the zone, do I need to set it early to anticipate the car being further along in the frame when BI takes the image?

Where do I set it to take one snapshot?

I would like to do AI, but also want to learn the other basics as well. I can always move to AI later once I get a bit more knowledge of this.

I could also have my daughter stand in the middle of the road to stop cars, haha.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my setting, the car hits the yellow zone and that is when it triggers and takes the snapshot and you can see on the alert thumbnails on the left that is gets the plate. It is just experimentation for your field of view. Your vote is tighter so you may need to do two zones to get front or back correctly.

1666364282682.png

Plus, once you dial in your settings (brightness, contrast, etc.) that will help with the triggering. In some of your images the car is blending in with the pavement, so that is where there needs to be a number difference between brightness and contrast instead of the default 50. Try to have at least 8 number difference (contrast higher than brightness).

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
To to throw a wrench into the system, but have you considered putting the north camera to the south of your southern camera? The green option in this screenshot.... At first glance, it seems that will get you the best unobstructed view with one of (if not the best) angle to the street as well. Obviously this may depend on the ability to run a cable to that location.

1666368222525.png

Or on the far southern side of the house?
1666367651746.png

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
To to throw a wrench into the system, but have you considered putting the north camera to the south of your southern camera? The green option in this screenshot.... At first glance, it seems that will get you the best unobstructed view with one of (if not the best) angle to the street as well. Obviously this may depend on the ability to run a cable to that location.

View attachment 143398

Or on the far southern side of the house?
View attachment 143397
Your first suggestion isn't doable because there is a tree at that corner that isn't very obvious in the satellite image. You can see it's shadow going north.

I did end up putting it on the southern corner in your second suggestion and it's a much better location. I was originally hesitant putting it there because it's already a little crowded with a downspout, IR flood, and a driveway dome but I was able to cram it in there. Fortunately I have either already ran spare ethernet to these locations or it's not a big deal to run more.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks good.

Also looks like your state went to the 3M plates that are a problem? Will be interesting to see how the nighttime images turn out.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help so far. Here is where I am.

I am trying to dial in the zones, but not sure where to make the adjustments. I feel the image is getting taken too far past where I have the zone marked (I want the plate to be more in the center of the frame). The oncoming cars aren't too bad, but we don't have front plates so it's not all that helpful.

As I was typing this the South camera seemed to get better, but still curious how I would adjust the zone over because my North camera is consistently getting just the center line >> Right Rear corner of the cars that drive by, the rest of the car is out of frame. It's also not consistently triggering as cars drive by.

LPR South:
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 65
1/4000
HLC: 25

Trigger and Zone settings are attached.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say make the "make" time 0.0 but that's just a guess. You might also consider expanding the zone a little, one way or the other.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say make the "make" time 0.0 but that's just a guess. You might also consider expanding the zone a little, one way or the other.
I dropped it to 0 after the screen grab. It seems to be a little better now.

How do I handle cars that come through in quick succession? I had one come through that got a good image but it missed the car that came through 4 seconds later.

The other LPR didn't trigger for either car though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the Break time, make the end trigger 1 second and it will create a new alert for each vehicle unless they are riding a tail.

Time to cut the tree LOL.

That is where the AI comes in to cancel those if you have a problematic shadow once you are ready to go to that point. Or create two or more zones where that shadow won't be in it.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If using BI, another option for camera triggers is to setup selected cameras in a group. As an example, have 4 cameras in a group. Two use IVS for detection. The other two cameras have IVS and motion off. When either of the two trigger cameras detect motion in an intrusion box all four cameras trigger.

Using the same scenario, all cameras could be set to trigger and then any one trigger would in turn activate all of the remaining cameras. Would most likely results in a lot of unwanted hits depending on trigger setup parameters.

In my case, using an older Dahua 2831 which has IVS but no filter for cars or people. Thus any car headlights or shadows would cause a hit. With IVS and motion detection off the camera is now only triggered when the newer cameras with the correct filter are activacted. Thus no more false hits.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Also you need to turn off object detection where it has to move so many pixels and resets after 67.7% because at that zoom a big vehicle will reset it and not trigger it.
Images are much better now, but I underestimated the length of the cars. They are all consistently triggering at the same place, I just need to move it further into the frame.

I think part of the issue with my North cam is the tree is constantly triggering it and when a car drives through it hasn't had the chance to reset and capture correctly.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you're using CP AI you could also turn off your zones and Just use the included license plate model.

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 4.06.22 PM.png

Last edited: