Looking for outdoor rated power supplies 12v

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm very new to CCTV but after a recent BnE in the neighborhood I decided to take the dive.

After some research I decided to take the diy approach. I wanted a high res outdoor camera that was wifi enabled. I selected this : DS-2CD2041G1-IDW

I have a local frenas server whichbhas 16TB of storage. The goal is have these cameras record 24/7.

My problem is finding a power adapter that is outdoor rated. I've searched but can't find a 5.5mm coaxial power adapter that is rated for outdoor use.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm very new to CCTV but after a recent BnE in the neighborhood I decided to take the dive.

After some research I decided to take the diy approach. I wanted a high res outdoor camera that was wifi enabled. I selected this : DS-2CD2041G1-IDW

I have a local frenas server whichbhas 16TB of storage. The goal is have these cameras record 24/7.

My problem is finding a power adapter that is outdoor rated. I've searched but can't find a 5.5mm coaxial power adapter that is rated for outdoor use.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
Ohhh interesting. Since posting this I went down a massive rabbit hole.

Using that would require I cut the coaxial female connector off the camera. I was thinking of using a waterproof junction box behind the the camera and the a second junction box near my outdoor outlet with a 12vdc 2amp power supply.

This is quick becoming a fun hobby.

00Buck

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did your "rabbit hole" include spending time reading the Cliff Notes in the above Wiki?
If so, you would have read several things:

1) wireless can be intermittent and undependable....not a great formula for surveillance
2) bullet cameras attract spiders and their webs; turret style better
3) Since you have to power the camera, why not choose a POE camera and power it from indoors with a POE switch , POE NVR or POE injector? And now that you have an Ethernet cable for the POE, you can operate the camera via wire not wireless.
4) don't get too wrapped up in "hi-res, lots of megapixels"; a 2MP Dahua with Starlight tech or a 2MP Hikvision Darkfighter, both turret, will have better low light performance. Dozens of reviews available for both on this forum.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :)

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow that dahau unit exactly what I was piecing together!

Thanks!

Also appreciate the wiki and tips! I've got lots of reading to do!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow that dahau unit exactly what I was piecing together!

Thanks!

Also appreciate the wiki and tips! I've got lots of reading to do!
This will be a mess and you will always have issues with wifi. Not to mention that 4mp 1/3 sensor camera will do poorly in low light.
Pay someone to run ethernet cable in the wall and use poe. Buy a camera that is superb in low light, dahua starlight or hikvision darkfighter.

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
Sigh I wish I could run Ethernet. It's a home so I don't have a nice recesses ceiling to work with. But every room was prewired with two Ethernet ports so if I am inclined to drill though exterior walls I do have options.

In any case, the recent b and e has me worried. We are going to call an alarm company to install a system, and right now I'm weighing my options about outdoor/indoor cameras.

The burglar had many hours inside our neighbors house. Im hoping an alarm will cut that to just a few minutes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sigh I wish I could run Ethernet. It's a home so I don't have a nice recesses ceiling to work with. But every room was prewired with two Ethernet ports so if I am inclined to drill though exterior walls I do have options.

In any case, the recent b and e has me worried. We are going to call an alarm company to install a system, and right now I'm weighing my options about outdoor/indoor cameras.

The burglar had many hours inside our neighbors house. Im hoping an alarm will cut that to just a few minutes.
Dont get screwed over by an alarm company like ADT or VIVINT. Their "installers" glue sensors to your door and walls, something you can do yourself.
You can buy the ring alarm at costco for 200 bux and be up and running today. 8.33 motoring per month.
IF you want a more robust system you can install the same honeywell based system adt uses for half the cost and 20-25 dollars monitoring vs 50.

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
Dont get screwed over by an alarm company like ADT or VIVINT. Their "installers" glue sensors to your door and walls, something you can do yourself.
You can buy the ring alarm at costco for 200 bux and be up and running today. 8.33 motoring per month.
IF you want a more robust system you can install the same honeywell based system adt uses for half the cost and 20-25 dollars monitoring vs 50.
Oh interesting...

I looked at simply safe and I heard they can be jammed. Not sure about ring. Do you happen to have a model number for the Honeywell unit? Who provides the monitoring?

The response time for my call to the police about the BnE was 2 hours..... I hope if an alarm company calls it is faster than that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh interesting...

I looked at simply safe and I heard they can be jammed. Not sure about ring. Do you happen to have a model number for the Honeywell unit? Who provides the monitoring?

The response time for my call to the police about the BnE was 2 hours..... I hope if an alarm company calls it is faster than that.
Lyric or L7000. If you are more technically inclined a vista panel - there are threads on these in the alarm section.
Use a direct to consumer vendor like MonitorU - SmartHome, Surveillance and Security System there are also other systems like 2gig or qolsys

Simply safe is much more expensive than ring to buy and monitor. The response time is slow when a central stations calls.
Did you call while the B&E was actively occurring? if so, 2 hours is insane. Generally, if you call and say you can observe people in the house by camera, they will respond immediately.

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
Lyric or L7000. If you are more technically inclined a vista panel - there are threads on these in the alarm section.
Use a direct to consumer vendor like MonitorU - SmartHome, Surveillance and Security System there are also other systems like 2gig or qolsys

Simply safe is much more expensive than ring to buy and monitor. The response time is slow when a central stations calls.
Did you call while the B&E was actively occurring? if so, 2 hours is insane. Generally, if you call and say you can observe people in the house by camera, they will respond immediately.
Yay another rabbit hole. Immediately the Vista is out of the question. While I like the expandability, I'm not inclined to hardwire everything.

Time to dig into the Lyric vs L7000... Seems like the Lyric is newer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yay another rabbit hole. Immediately the Vista is out of the question. While I like the expandability, I'm not inclined to hardwire everything.

Time to dig into the Lyric vs L7000... Seems like the Lyric is newer.
You dont need to hardwire everything with the vista.

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
You dont need to hardwire everything with the vista.
I see they have a wifi module, which I assume let's me serve up the same functionality of the Lyric system. Is it safe to say that the difference is the expandability aspect? Keypad aside.

Last edited: