Looking for purchase advice for new home

morelup

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all, moving into a new construction house in ~august, and with the memorial day Andy sale figured i'd get the new items i need to finish out coverage

I currently have 2 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and 1 IPC-HDW5231R-Z, along with a NVR5216-4KS2 (going to try and update it to 4.0 in the next week or two and see if i brick it or not)

One of the cameras will remain as a toddler camera (probably the R-Z). I've attached the plot plan for the neighborhood, the house with the star is the one we're going to move into. I'm thinking i'll put the two R-ZE's on the back on opposite ends of the covered porch to cover the backyard and then have cameras in the front, likely where the two blue lines are pointing from.

1) I'd like to stay under a $500 budget for the cameras, if i could finagle 3 cameras into that budget so i could have an extra camera set up for license plate rec going down the light blue line (1 of 2 entrances into the neighborhood) that'd be "neat" but not necessary. Also, a camera on the side of the garage where the service door is would probably be a smart decision too but...#budgets.
2) I'd like to use some of the fancy AI stuff that has come about over the last few years to avoid useless motion events (and not sure if that tech is just built into the 4.0 firmware of the nvr or if I need specific cameras for that (and which ones)
3) I don't need PTZ/Autotracking due to the wife factor pretty much limiting me to turrets and not really a necessity for my use.

Looks like the 5442 is popular now and replaced the 5231as the go to default, but given i know the placement, varifocal isn't 100% necessary to save a bit but i'll take any advice i can get.
Thanks everyone!

1622132281768.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all, moving into a new construction house in ~august, and with the memorial day Andy sale figured i'd get the new items i need to finish out coverage

I currently have 2 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and 1 IPC-HDW5231R-Z, along with a NVR5216-4KS2 (going to try and update it to 4.0 in the next week or two and see if i brick it or not)

One of the cameras will remain as a toddler camera (probably the R-Z). I've attached the plot plan for the neighborhood, the house with the star is the one we're going to move into. I'm thinking i'll put the two R-ZE's on the back on opposite ends of the covered porch to cover the backyard and then have cameras in the front, likely where the two blue lines are pointing from.

1) I'd like to stay under a $500 budget for the cameras, if i could finagle 3 cameras into that budget so i could have an extra camera set up for license plate rec going down the light blue line (1 of 2 entrances into the neighborhood) that'd be "neat" but not necessary. Also, a camera on the side of the garage where the service door is would probably be a smart decision too but...#budgets.
2) I'd like to use some of the fancy AI stuff that has come about over the last few years to avoid useless motion events (and not sure if that tech is just built into the 4.0 firmware of the nvr or if I need specific cameras for that (and which ones)
3) I don't need PTZ/Autotracking due to the wife factor pretty much limiting me to turrets and not really a necessity for my use.

Looks like the 5442 is popular now and replaced the 5231as the go to default, but given i know the placement, varifocal isn't 100% necessary to save a bit but i'll take any advice i can get.
Thanks everyone!

View attachment 90788
Congratulations @morelup

Looks like a nice neighborhood in the making

Usual recommendations.. over cable while you can. N+1+

Remember to take pictures of the buildout so you know what is behind the walls

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The end of your driveway looks to be around 50' from the house. If you want to identify people at the end of the driveway, something like the Dahua IPC-B5442E-Z4E is going to be best. Then you will need some wider angle cameras to cover the driveway near the house and the frontdoor/walkway. I think the Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE would be appropriate choices. One to by mounted on the right side of the front door on that side wall and the other on the left side of the garage door wall.

A doorbell camera would help round out your coverage of the front. Of course if you feel this is a higher risk area, you might want double the camera coverage so that you always have a camera covering your other cameras. Personally I don't see the need in the location I find myself in, but not everyone has the same luxury.

For potential license plate coverage, I think you need something with even more reach than the Dahua IPC-B5442E-Z4E offers. It goes up to 32mm focal length, but I think you need something like 40-50mm focal length on the shorter side where the road curves. I used the Z4E model below and you can see that it is really at the end of usability in that location). You are going to need something with a heathy zoom (probably a PTZ camera) to pick up plates on the longer side. I think it might need to aim more than 300' down the road before your angles work out. You would also want to add a third license plate camera (but it could be a Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE) to cover the road the in front of your house. I didn't actually show either Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE (one for the driveway and one for the license plate for the t-road) because it just added too much clutter to the image.

morelup.png

Last edited:

morelup

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sadly i think the wife will push against a bullet camera, think i may do two 5442t-ze's in the front for general coverage and not worry about LPR.

Then may pick up some of the cheaper turrets on his refurbished, maybe the fixed ones, to cover more directly over doors/closer areas to the house.

The area is about as safe as you're going to get so not TOO worried, but rather safe than sorry.

If you're talking only a 20-30 foot distance coverage area, would the t2431's be fine with fixed, or should i go with the varifocal 2831's even though the 8mp isn't beneficial for night vision.

edit* essentially trying to decide if 1 varifocal 8mp camera is worth 2 fixed focal cameras in price.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is another example with just the Dahua IPC-B5442E-Z4E for the driveway and two Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE for the yard, although you could definitely get by with two of the 3.6mm fixed lens models. They provide a 87 degree coverage I think which would work fine in those two locations. Hopefully you can see those coverages a little better in this image.

Looking at the coverage, your driveway is covered well as the driveway camera will have about a 90 ppf rating at the roadside and won't drop below 50 until the other side of the road.. The rest of the front would have a 50 ppf coverage at about the halfway point in the yard. Anything closer will be very sharp and anything further is probably not going to be sharp enough to identify a stranger. The "yard cameras" will have about a 30 ppf coverage at the road which definitely isn't high enough to identify a stranger. You could always zoom out the driveway camera to cover more of the yard near the road if needed, but just keep in mind that it will decrease the sharpness of subject at the road in the driveway. Of course you could always get a second Dahua IPC-B5442E-Z4E and have each one cover 1/2 of the yard. If you went with four cameras, you would have solid coverage of the entire yard IMHO.

1622139209402.png

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Four camera coverage which would provide excellent coverage for nearly the entire front yard!
2x Dahua IPC-B5442E-Z4E for yard at road and road
2x Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE for front yard near house

morelup2.png

Attachments

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
edit* essentially trying to decide if 1 varifocal 8mp camera is worth 2 fixed focal cameras in price.
I don't think it is. Fixed cameras are fine for the cameras to cover close to the house because you generally want a full 90 degree coverage. Use the varifocal for the cameras that reach out to the street (or end of the driveway) so you can dial in the exact coverage. I also don't think the 8mp are worth it in your case. The extra resolution comes at the price of nighttime (low light) performance and the 4mp Z4E cameras will provide plenty of resolution to cover out to the street and beyond. Using the 3-4 cameras to cover the front yard will give adequate coverage without having to resort to 4k cameras and their subpar nighttime performance. (Of course I say this without knowing what type of night time illumination you have. If you are going to have bright street lights around, then the 4k might work fine. But at my house where they are no street lights and few people leave their outside lights on, I have to rely on the low light performance of my cameras to get any usable nighttime footage).

I also think Dahua just came out with a turret version of their Z4E model. I'm pretty sure I saw an announcement from Andy about it recently. It's not in the IPVM database yet, so I couldn't use the turret model on my examples, but they would work the same. They are certainly a lot more discrete than the bullet Z4E model.

Last edited:

morelup

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah i have to hold off on the bullets, until get farther in build process to see if they'd even look ok with the house elevation (don't need HOA throwing a hissy).

Thinking at this moment, grab 3 t2431t-as 2 for close range and 1 for toddler monitoring.

Then will just use a 5231 for one of the front cameras, then probably pick up a 5442t-ze to go with it.

I think if I only worry about my own property line those 2 should cover ok, and that leaves me with the budget to grab a z12e for LPR on the north end if i want to later on.

I'll take a browse through the history to see if i can fine reference to a z4e bullet.

Thx for the help!

Last edited:

morelup

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, this is why you wait till you own a house before you start figuring out these questions. I just remembered as i drove through the neighborhood that there are going to be street treets, so i don't even know if i'll have a clear LOS to the end of the street anyway :D

Ended up asking andy for the 3 t2431t-as, 1 5442t-ze and 1 54426tm-as. That combined with the other 3 cameras should give me good coverage of the lot.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do not worry about the cameras now.
Test do not guess.
Get one variable focus good quality camera, a bucket of rocks and a long 2x4 test each location for the correct lens and mounting location. Test at night with motion. Have a fried with a hoodie , can he be identified ?

if you can get the ethernet wires run to as many possible location, more than you think you will need. I recommend running two ethernet cables to each location. Check with your builder about who can run the wire for you. In most places you can not run the wire as you are not a certified electrician, the house must pass building inspection.

===============================
1) the front door needs three cameras, one doorbell camera pointing out, one pointing at the package drop area, one pointing back to the front door.
2) the garage entrance Needs two cameras pointing out mounted no higher than the top of the garage door. one on each side of the door.
3) the inside of the garage need two cameras one point at the garage door and one point at the house entrance
4) each entrance to the house must be covered by a camera.
5) each camera must be covered by another camera, If i can destroy a camera it must be covered, recorded by another camera.
6) in my house all public areas inside are covered, kitchen, living room, dining room, halls, game room, den
7) all outside doors are covered by a camera inside, pointing out.
========================================================