Looking for what is the newest dahua NVR part numbers

tokyojoe

n3wb
Reaction score
I read somewhere here that the NVR4XXX is newer than the NVR5XXX, is it not in ordermeaning that NVR3XXX is older than NVR4XXX and then NVR 5XXX?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
one would think so, but each model has different options so I'm just guessing they numbered them in the order of which one has the greater options? Who really knows though? LOL

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah it's strange. The biggest thing to look for is incoming bandwidth number and recording rate number. These consistently go up, the newer the model. The older the model, the lower those numbers will be. And since the rest of the dahua gui in these things remains relatively the same, the incoming bandwidth and recording rate is what you want to look at. Although in this 4208-8p I have, it has a new look to the gui and more camera tweaking options than past versions. I think I read somewhere that the newer nvr's have a Bosch collaboration to the gui and I do see that to be true, at least in my nvr. I use a Bosch at work and the gui colors and layout is similar to that of this dahua. But keep an eye on the bandwidth and record rate numbers. That tells the story of most current.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4xxx are bare bones NVR's, the 42xx and 44xx are primarily distinguishing number of disks.. these seem to be the newest updated and can do 200Mbps; the older NVR's in this class did 120Mbps after a software update bumped them from 80Mbps.

5xxx are there pro line NVR, more alarm IO's, support for BNC out, DVD Burners.. these seem to be older and max out at 160Mbps and seem due for a refresh.

The new 44xx are very close in feature sets to the older 5xxx line; but it is a very new set of models and difficult to find... The 5xxx NVR's can be found all over.

I am waiting for the 4416 to become more prolific; most of the sources for them right now are trying to bulk distribute them and wanting to charge murder for a single unit's shipping to the US...

These are all small ARM servers and there biggest bottleneck seems to be bus speed.. 200Mbps is a mere 25MB/s write speed.. 80 is 10MB/s.. right now I am recording 2x3MP and 2x2MP high quality streams at ~3.5-4MB/s for comparison... 16x cameras would be ~16MB/s which the 5xxx can reach... if you think you might be upgrading to 5MP cameras or using them in your deployment you may want the extra bandwidth but the 4416 is only 5MB/s faster than a 5416

Last edited by a moderator:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
But the 5216 recording rate is 128, opposed to 200 in the 44.

As far as alarm in/out, number of users, and DVD burner, you have to consider if you really need that. It's hard to beat dumping everything out to USB thumb drive, not to mention the cost savings not having to equip the nvr with the burner. Plus you lose hard drive capacity putting in a burner. To me it comes down to three things, what you need for hard drive capacity, recording rate, and your realistic need for number of alarm in/out.

Also bnc could be a consideration if you seriously need that, but it is the single worst output quality you can use. Work with distributing hdmi, not bnc.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for your own use USB is fine; for providing footage to law enforcement a DVD is better as its read only right out of the NVR and cheap as shit... sure I could copy it to usb, put it in a computer then burn it to a disk but the rate optical media is going this could be one of the last internal writers that would get any use in my lab.. my laptops dont have optical drives anymore and im not about to give the PD a usb drive without monetary reimbursement.. I imagine its also easier for the prosecutor when a cop can testify he got the video directly out of the recorder, on a read-only media and it had no opportunity to be tampered with.

I also see my self archiving interesting things off to DVD and closing the disk when its finally full; wildlife encounters, kids playing, etc.. anything I may want to go back to long after it would have been normally overwritten.. I am looking at the 4 disk for expansion opportunity; personally I intend on running 2x4TB disks and an optical with room for a 3rd 4TB disk and perhaps a 4th if the burner dont get used often and its needed.. I have plenty of working burners and disks laying about that need to be used :)

Could I archive to a big USB disk? sure would it fill up and need overwritten or replaced eventually? Yep.. Will I want to go back and find video of a long lost pet once playing in the back yard? Very likely given enough time.. DVD is suitable.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All the differences, video's out, incoming band width, recording band width, burners, hdd's, etc. makes my head spin. I started out using the 3200 series nvr and than realized that once you started adding
more cameras, you had to lower the bit rate for each channel. Now, for the past year or so, every customer gets the 5216. If they are getting 2 cameras, they get a 5216, if they get 16 cameras, they get a 5216. I have been happy with the 5216 and for the price difference between the 04, 08, and 16, I'd rather spend alittle more and give my customer more channels for future expansion.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Last year a system I installed at a daycare was the primary source of video evidence. They wanted footage for the 45 minutes the suspects sat in the parking lot before robbing the Subway shop. At 2mp between 3 cameras, the files were a little over 5 gigs. They happily took the evidence from the thumb drive that was inserted in the nvr for direct archive, and it held all the files. The player is automatically dumped to the thumb drive when archiving files to it as well. With megapixel files that we're recording now, it can be tricky if file sizes are larger than even a DVD can hold. There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting an nvr with a burner in it. It too will include USB for thumb drive archiving, so it's two ways to dump out files and in the off chance the disc drive fails, you still have USB. But I just opt out of DVD, personally. It makes the nvr bigger anyway, lol. I have a 16 gig thumb drive inserted at all times to dump files to if needed.

Oh, and those crooks were caught, in large part to the evidence from the system I installed. Vehicle make and model could be seen and even as important, time evidence was logged. They tracked them down via time evidence, coordinating that with red light cameras which are WAY more detailed. It was a guy and his girlfriend, crack heads. It was the 21st armed robbery they committed in their spree when my unit recorded them. The girlfriend cased the places to hit, and the guy would use customer cars from the auto shop he worked at. Nailed, and nailed! The Subway had 'sub' par CIF footage and the time was off by three hours. Not a good way to document crime.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
awesome work; yeah im sure the'll gladly take the files in whatever I give them on.. I just distain USB as a file storage bus; its just so damn slooow.. the thumb disks I do hold onto are like the fastest ones they make (and still too slow) and none of em were cheap so I'd be sad to see them go.. might not be a bad idea to buy some of those slow ass cheap thumb drives to keep on hand incase you need to make fast copies for law enforcement.

dont ever give video the press anymore; just toss it on youtube and give them the link.. that way you can cash in on your video when they embed it ;)

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL, yeah. On the local news when the story was headline, the news camera guys were pointing at our footage playback and holding up the printouts of the cars on camera. It was really gratifying to see that kind of quality and knowing I just installed the system not more than 4 months prior. The daycare owner was kind of pushing back a little about me suggesting high def for the install instead of analog, of course high def being more costly. The benefit of ultimately choosing high def came very quickly. Writing that much to USB did take longer though. That was not the norm as far as how much you would typically write though. The minute I heard they wanted the full 45 minutes, ​I knew it was gonna be a heavy lift!

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Back to topic- could you explain what the incoming bandwidth number means, the recording rate number means, and why they can be different from each other? And since the best a dahua nvr offers these days is 200mps incoming and recording rate, does that help an 8 channel unit full of 3mp cameras recording at 15fps, 4096? LOL- hope so!

tokyojoe

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR5216 and newer NVR4416 seem very close.

NVR4416 has 128 max users vs 20 | 200M bandwidth vs 160M | 4 HDD up to 16TB vs. 2 HDD up to 8TB.... I'm leaning towards NVR5216

View attachment 1217
I just read this, and looked up the 4XXX series I think I am missing something here. Above you compared then 4416 to the 5216. What if you compare the 4216 to the 5216? or the 4416 to the 5416? I choose the 44XX because I am looking for more storage, actually was looking at the 48XX because of the RAID capabilities, but then realized that I will just use a NAS for that backup. What I do not understand is if the 4XXX series is faster and newer, supports more users, have 16 alarm channel, 2 less relay outputs,has one ethernet port instead of 2, and has less USB ports why is 4XXX NVR cost less than the 5XXX? and why did you choose the 5XXX unit?

I would also like to know if anyone would recoment buying from Alibaba, or CCTV-mall in China

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
vector or anyone notice any additional software features that the 5xxx series (Pro) over the 4xxx (Value) series? As far as I can tell they seem to run identical featured firmware.

At this point its pretty clear the new 4xxx value line is on par with or better than the 5xxx series in most areas except general availability.

I am betting the 4xxx got a more recent CPU with more GPIO's and higher bus speeds than anything they were using before; thats why its better specs/price right now.. I suspect this will either end the 2 different pro/value lines or they are whipping up a new pro line based off the new CPU's and the'll come out in short order with even higher bus speeds of 300-400Mbps and possibly even more GPIO's (Alarm IOs)

The current 42xx/44xx models on there website are brand spanking new; a few months ago the 5216 was probably the best deal but I think that is changing as these new models get out here.

I am attracted at the analogue video output so I can get cams to remote TV's over existing analogue infrastructure; temporarily until a time when I can distribute digital video across 4 levels with 3 bedrooms and 2 offices affordably.. With luck QAM Encoders+Modulators will become affordable enough we can broadcast 1080p over existing coax; the technology exists but its still cost prohibitive.

tokyojoe

n3wb
Reaction score
for your own use USB is fine; for providing footage to law enforcement a DVD is better as its read only right out of the NVR and cheap as shit... sure I could copy it to usb, put it in a computer then burn it to a disk but the rate optical media is going this could be one of the last internal writers that would get any use in my lab.. my laptops dont have optical drives anymore and im not about to give the PD a usb drive without monetary reimbursement.. I imagine its also easier for the prosecutor when a cop can testify he got the video directly out of the recorder, on a read-only media and it had no opportunity to be tampered with.

I also see my self archiving interesting things off to DVD and closing the disk when its finally full; wildlife encounters, kids playing, etc.. anything I may want to go back to long after it would have been normally overwritten.. I am looking at the 4 disk for expansion opportunity; personally I intend on running 2x4TB disks and an optical with room for a 3rd 4TB disk and perhaps a 4th if the burner dont get used often and its needed.. I have plenty of working burners and disks laying about that need to be used :)

Could I archive to a big USB disk? sure would it fill up and need overwritten or replaced eventually? Yep.. Will I want to go back and find video of a long lost pet once playing in the back yard? Very likely given enough time.. DVD is suitable.
the reason I started down this road, in the last month I have caught 2 punks putting graffiti on my parents place one was arrested, my dad had a heart attack earlier because of graffiti notice because in our city has a stupid bylaw that says the owner of the property is responsible to clean up any or they will be charged. I would like to add a burner

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
vector or anyone notice any additional software features that the 5xxx series (Pro) over the 4xxx (Value) series? As far as I can tell they seem to run identical featured firmware.
I won't know that until I really get the 4208 in place. It is a different gui in some respects, and it has me fumbling a little since I'm so used to previous versions of dahua gui. But all software options look the same except for the ones I haven't had a chance to try yet, being-

- Multi MD region, which if that matches the new camera firmware detection region setup would be very sweet.
- Corridor mode, which I'm guessing is a user setting to match that capability in the camera if it has it
- IPC upgrading, which I don't believe was capable in previous nvr's
- ANR, but I think older units could do this but only in remote software, not the nvr itself
- P2P, which is cloud stuff, seemingly new to dahua. GDMSS newest versions have the capability
- POE+

Other than that, aside from a different looking gui in the 4200 line, all options look the same

tokyojoe

n3wb
Reaction score

At this point its pretty clear the new 4xxx value line is on par with or better than the 5xxx series in most areas except general availability.

I am betting the 4xxx got a more recent CPU with more GPIO's and higher bus speeds than anything they were using before; thats why its better specs/price right now.. I suspect this will either end the 2 different pro/value lines or they are whipping up a new pro line based off the new CPU's and the'll come out in short order with even higher bus speeds of 300-400Mbps and possibly even more GPIO's (Alarm IOs)

The current 42xx/44xx models on there website are brand spanking new; a few months ago the 5216 was probably the best deal but I think that is changing as these new models get out here.

I am attracted at the analogue video output so I can get cams to remote TV's over existing analogue infrastructure; temporarily until a time when I can distribute digital video across 4 levels with 3 bedrooms and 2 offices affordably.. With luck QAM Encoders+Modulators will become affordable enough we can broadcast 1080p over existing coax; the technology exists but its still cost prohibitive.
The 4XXX series is ONVIF 2.3 compliant and the 5XXX is 2.0 compliant. That's why the 4XXX supports more camera's it has newer firmware

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
seems the consensus is at this point in time the best options are the 4216/4416; depending on storage needs and/or IO's... none of the US Distributers seem to have any yet and I suspect it will be several more months before we see them being stocked locally.

I see now there is a seller on AliExpress offering the 4416 for $350 shipped; which is about what a 5416 would have ran direct from China... just got to wait for those long processing times since stocks are low.. better than a month ago when nobody was offering them in single units.. I am still a while out before I have the funds available.

I buy from Ali for all sorts of stuff; Ive even found manufacturers to make my own circuits in bulk and never had a problem other than the language barrier.. I buy with a purchase protected credit card just incase I need to chargeback but never have had too.. knock on wood.