Looking to build a IP based camera system for home.

JBritt1234

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

So, we had a break-in a few months back and i'm trying to get my security shored up. Even better, I actually received a call from the thieves a couple days ago, and they flat out said that they are coming back. So... Time to get on it...

For the short term, I went to Best Buy and bought some Arlo cams. OK for what they are I guess, but no, not gonna work.

I'm pretty technical, I work in IT. Getting a dedicated PC together and getting BI going, I don't see a problem. I'm just trying to sort through a TON of info out there, and lots of great stuff here on ipcamtalk.com. I just have a pretty big issue now, and i'm working against the return window for the Arlo stuff as I want to leave it up for now.

I was looking at your typical $600 systems from Sams, etc. They seem pretty feature-less. I had a local security camera place come out, and they would just not really answer any questions on their hardware. They want $1000 for labor, which I can swallow, but another $2500 for hardware they won't even fully disclose on.

I will need 7 cameras, best I can tell. I have a screen shot of what I have covered so far from the Arlo system. Just to give you a idea. I would like to add another camera that would cover my driveway, seen partly from the camera labeled Front Door.arlo.JPG

I have read on here that bullet cameras are not good because of spiders, and that would be a issue here at my house. I really see wiring being my main issue here. My house is a contemporary style house and is only partly covered with attic space area. The rest is just high, cathedral type ceilings. To run cables, I would think I would need to exit my attic, wrap all the way around the house to the other sides. Would have some pretty high ladder work I don't know that I have the equipment for. I know wireless is not a great option, but it sure is tempting to only have to deal with running a line inside for close by power. The existing Arlo cams actually get good signals from the base station in my office.

I guess i'm mainly looking for camera suggestions. Turret seems to be the way to go for less cleaning? I'd like to stay under/at $200 a camera.

For the PC running BI, do I just use a low end tower or laptop I already have? Use a single Internal disk? I have a older NAS, but was wondering about integrating a new one into the system if it was worth the $$$. Would really like to keep the cost down as much as possible as i'm throwing cash everywhere right now to just make my wife feel like she can stay here.

Also, seems to be weird info out there on licensing for BI. What's the best route for that? Are the people selling it on ebay for $50 with licensing for 64 cameras legit? ie http://www.blueirisdownload.com/

Thanks much for any recommendations, or links to threads you like.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

So, we had a break-in a few months back and i'm trying to get my security shored up. Even better, I actually received a call from the thieves a couple days ago, and they flat out said that they are coming back. So... Time to get on it...

For the short term, I went to Best Buy and bought some Arlo cams. OK for what they are I guess, but no, not gonna work.

I'm pretty technical, I work in IT. Getting a dedicated PC together and getting BI going, I don't see a problem. I'm just trying to sort through a TON of info out there, and lots of great stuff here on ipcamtalk.com. I just have a pretty big issue now, and i'm working against the return window for the Arlo stuff as I want to leave it up for now.

I was looking at your typical $600 systems from Sams, etc. They seem pretty feature-less. I had a local security camera place come out, and they would just not really answer any questions on their hardware. They want $1000 for labor, which I can swallow, but another $2500 for hardware they won't even fully disclose on.

I will need 7 cameras, best I can tell. I have a screen shot of what I have covered so far from the Arlo system. Just to give you a idea. I would like to add another camera that would cover my driveway, seen partly from the camera labeled Front Door.View attachment 13093

I have read on here that bullet cameras are not good because of spiders, and that would be a issue here at my house. I really see wiring being my main issue here. My house is a contemporary style house and is only partly covered with attic space area. The rest is just high, cathedral type ceilings. To run cables, I would think I would need to exit my attic, wrap all the way around the house to the other sides. Would have some pretty high ladder work I don't know that I have the equipment for. I know wireless is not a great option, but it sure is tempting to only have to deal with running a line inside for close by power. The existing Arlo cams actually get good signals from the base station in my office.

I guess i'm mainly looking for camera suggestions. Turret seems to be the way to go for less cleaning? I'd like to stay under/at $200 a camera.

For the PC running BI, do I just use a low end tower or laptop I already have? Use a single Internal disk? I have a older NAS, but was wondering about integrating a new one into the system if it was worth the $$$. Would really like to keep the cost down as much as possible as i'm throwing cash everywhere right now to just make my wife feel like she can stay here.

Also, seems to be weird info out there on licensing for BI. What's the best route for that? Are the people selling it on ebay for $50 with licensing for 64 cameras legit? ie http://www.blueirisdownload.com/

Thanks much for any recommendations, or links to threads you like.
Search the forum for elitedesk and optiplex..you can easily by a modern i5-skylake for 300...I just bought an i7 skylake for 400...you want a modern efficient system. Buy blue iris direct from the developer, blueirissoftware.com, this will ensure no issues as well as support him (BI is developed by a single individual, not a huge corporation)..dont use wireless..run proper cable.

JBritt1234

n3wb
Reaction score
Search the forum for elitedesk and optiplex..you can easily by a modern i5-skylake for 300...I just bought an i7 skylake for 400...you want a modern efficient system. Buy blue iris direct from the developer, blueirissoftware.com, this will ensure no issues as well as support him (BI is developed by a single individual, not a huge corporation)..dont use wireless..run proper cable.
Thanks for the tip on where to purchase. I didn't realize it was one guy, very nice.

I was just looking at PC components, there is a wealth of info here on specs. Cameras are really just where i'm kinda stuck. So many options out there... I would buy 1 and just check it out, but I have a pretty big reason to need to purchase all at once and get installed asap.

Thanks for the help!

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
buy one of those mentioned by Fenderman. Get one without a graphics card, use the integrated graphics. Buy a cheap SSD (120-128gb) to run the OS and BI on, then use a HDD for direct to disk recording for the files. 7 cameras, I'd commend at least 4TB. I have a WD Purple and it works great, they are arguably the most commonly used ones here.

Turrets are good, but stay away from 2.8mm lenses you won't get good facial recognition unless they are very close to the lens itself. Stay with 4mm or 6mm and position them to cover the "choke" points or the most commonly traveled areas. Basically the area that thieves would have to travel thru to get into the residence or to steal things.

And yes, hard wired is what you need. It is worth the effort and if you are piecing stuff together and saving money, look into hiring someone to assist you on that front.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Take a look at LTS. There's a guy named @milkisbad here that sells them, and his prices are pretty good. For example, I've got my eye on this camera: CMIP1142W-6 for $159. 4.1MP High Definition, 2688x1520P@20fps, 6mm Fixed Lens, True WDR 120dB, 3D DNR,BLC, H.264 Zip+ Ready, 1 Matrix IR up to 100ft, IP66, DC 12V, PoE. They also sell PoE switches, which you will need in your configuration. 7 cameras and 1 8 port PoE swtich would set you back around $1200, which is half what the installer wanted. If you want to pay someone else to pull the cable for you (all you need is Cat5E to each camera), you could do that and still save money over the professional installers.

Just send @milkisbad a PM.

JBritt1234

n3wb
Reaction score
Any ideas of what to look for for finding someone to hire? I don't really know anyone. Just like a general handyman type?

pschmehl and PSPCommOp, great tips there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any ideas of what to look for for finding someone to hire? I don't really know anyone. Just like a general handyman type?

pschmehl and PSPCommOp, great tips there.
There are guys/gals who specialize in pulling love voltage lines...they know how to do it with minimal damage and best result...generally they install phone systems and alarms (the wired pro types..not ADT glue on)..

JBritt1234

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What kind of home do you have? The chance to pull wire may not be so daunting. Buy a set of fish sticks and go to town!

For ease, you thought about just doing an NVR?

I just started my kit.. used an inexpensive POE from Amazon, pulled my own Cat6 I got for a steal from Craigslist, termination kit and pieces from Amazon and Dahua cameras from Ali and eBay. It is fun! I am making nice terminations too on my Cat6 IMHO.

I am already looking to replace the POE for more ports. Guess I will use the small POE for another install for family...

JBritt1234

n3wb
Reaction score
FrankOceanXray: I have a tri-level home. Only about 1/3 of the roof has attic space, rest is just high ceilings up to the roof. A few places I could get to without much issue. But 3 cams would basically require cable wrapped around the outside of the home. 2 to 2.5 stories high. I don't have the proper equipment for that.

I have though about a NVR. Still looking into them and how they compare in features. Which did you settle on?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have though about a NVR. Still looking into them and how they compare in features.
The NVR will not nearly be as feature rich...There are several threads discussing the differences.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am holding out for a black Friday or cyber Monday deal on a PC. I intend to run Blue Iris.
You will not find a much better deal then....for example You can buy an i5-6500 system for 300 or i7-6700 for 400 (that was with a 256gb ssd), hp elitedesk with 3 year next business day warranty...you just need to scour ebay and wait for a deal..

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will not find a much better deal then....for example You can buy an i5-6500 system for 300 or i7-6700 for 400 (that was with a 256gb ssd), hp elitedesk with 3 year next business day warranty...you just need to scour ebay and wait for a deal..
I had one in my sights but maybe you outbid me!

I am looking! Is there a particular seller you use? LMK!