Looking to replace 4 Logitech 750e cameras

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have decided to sell my 4 Logitech 750e alert cameras because they are selling for outrageous prices - way more than I paid for them. What I need to do now is look for a suitable replacement for them (they've been great cameras - the only issue I've ever had with them is they tend to eat up SD cards - which is why I get lifetime warranty ones).

The key features I am looking for are:

1. The 130 degree viewing angle without distortion
2. SD card recording
3. Microphone
4. Excellent day/night/shadow picture (The Logitech's always amazed me how well they did this)
5. Long rang IR (25m +)
6. Motion detection
7. POE

The feature that would be a bonus is audio out.

I would like to do 3MP cameras, however, a good 2MP camera may be acceptable. I looked thru your site but still would like to hear what you'd recommend. The Logitech's are currently bullet style cameras but bullet or dome is fine for their replacements (just must look good outside the house).

Thank you for your time.:cool:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that the most difficult item on your list is going to be the wide angle view...you will not get that with any other the hikvision/dahua cams..the best you will see is about 98.5 degrees IF you get the 2.8mm lens and you run them in 2mp mode.
If you want great nightvision and you dont have at least some lighting in the area you place the cam, stick with a 1.3mp unit, the nightvision will be significantly better than 3mp...the native 2mp cams from LTS also seem to have a better lux rating than the 3mp hikvisions...I dont know of any other source for native 2mp hikvisions..except for the new bullet model listed below..
Another option is using extra ir light...
If you dont mind a narrower viewing angle then the new hikvision http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014101311284034283.pdf
the two MP can do 80 degrees...in 4mm and you can get powerful ir as an option i5 or i8..has sd card as well..the only thing its missing is a mic...
Honestly I dont think you will find all your requirements so you will have to compromise somewhere...The cams that can provide audio require adding your own mic..except for the 2532 (but the ir is weak)...
The only other super wide angle ive seen is this http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartCam-Outdoor-SNH-E6440BN-Camera/dp/B00P1NAPPQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1422064616&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+ip+camera#productDetails
not sure if it can stream to blue iris though...and its got a bulky base that is mounted inside...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just looked at some youtube videos of the 750e and the images dont look that wide...in fact it they look about the same as a 4mm hikvision 3mp when run in 2mp mode...i think you will get a wider shot with a 2.8mm hikvision than the 750e...

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe that is why the Logitechs are selling so high used? The audio out is just a nicety, the microphone is not (I want to record the audio with the video), but a 98.5 degree angle is a bust - I'd have to change the install locations, I could do maybe 115 but losing over 30 degrees would be painful - maybe a lens replacement?

One idea I've been looking at is a camera with motorized zoom and focus (not manual) to replace the driveway camera (which doesn't require the wide angle), this would be just a nicety too, however. I'd really like to stay away from the 1.3 MP cameras, I'd rather press into higher resolution (but I do understand your reasoning on them - and you are right). I do have street lights and lights outside the house at night (not complete darkness, except for the backyard - and I do have extra IR illumination there - so not an issue).

I may need to do a mix and match, in other words instead of using the same camera in all positions pick different cameras for different locations. If I do that I could get away with not all cameras having a microphone (if they are as sensitive as my Logitech) or a wide angle. More of a pain in the arse to calculate it all out but perhaps better in the long run it would give better results.

Currently my setup is as so:

1. located on the porch (frontdoor) - yard is 30 feet out to street. This is angled for the door and middle of the front yard to my neighbors front yard fence accross the street. The camera can see people on my sidewalk and the one accross the street (about 60+ feet away).

2. located for a driveway view - angle on this can see all the way into the cove caddy corner to me, over 100+ feet but not in great detail (only 720p resolution here). This camera's left is matched with the frontdoors and it's right side easily covers my right side fence gate (here is where the 130 degree is not needed - just nice).

3. located at back of right side of house - covers the entire right side of the house all the way to the street (overlaps the driveway camera's view). This couulld definitely be a narrow view, currently it shows half my neighbor's house.

4. located at right corner of back yard - covers the entire backyard (and yes this amazes me) with the exception of some of the left side (because of the angle). Planning on adding another camera on the left corner of the back yard to cover everything 100% so a smaller angle would work here too but I'd need 2 cameras.

Hmmm, after typing this all out maybe a 130 degree view is not so critical, ugh! Now I have to get out my slide ruler and do the calculations. If anything typing this all out helps get it clearer in my head.

Thank you so much fenderman I really appreciate your input! :cool:

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just looked at some youtube videos of the 750e and the images dont look that wide...in fact it they look about the same as a 4mm hikvision 3mp when run in 2mp mode...i think you will get a wider shot with a 2.8mm hikvision than the 750e...
It is - but how you angle it can make it look like less, Here it is on Amazon, you'll notice 130 degrees in the specs.

Here is a snap of the backyard camera:

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nah, the logitechs are only selling so high because folks have dying cameras that they cannot get replacement for...if they are truly 130 degrees then the video is not going to be nearly as crisp as 98 degrees at 2mp...i would buy one 2.8mm hikvision and test it...i dont think you will lose as much as you think at least based on the videos of the 750e that i see on your tube..
Here is a sample of a 2.8mm hikvision - this was recorded in 3mp mode - you can tell by the aspect ratio... you will get a bit more horizontal view in 2mp mode (lose some vertical)
By comparison, this is a 750e...I think the hikvision is wider...but that might be my imagination... I see their specs...but im doubting them..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
On the cams that you must have audio you are looking at the 2632 or 2732 or the new DS-2CD2132F-IS http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?2028-Hikvision-DS-2CD2132F-IS-connecting-up-mic&highlight=microphone
(unless you dont care about IR strength then the 2532 would work-although there was a bad batch from china where the built in mic did not work-so if you go that route buy from a US seller)...there are a few threads about adding the mic to the 2632/2732 http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1949-Help-with-Sound-on-Hikvision-DS-2CD2732F-I(S)-camera&highlight=microphone

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nah, the logitechs are only selling so high because folks have dying cameras that they cannot get replacement for...
Sounds good to me, selling them for more than twice what I paid for them three years ago is a first for me for a camera boght at the normal price - you?

if they are truly 130 degrees then the video is not going to be nearly as crisp as 98 degrees at 2mp...i would buy one 2.8mm hikvision and test it...i dont think you will lose as much as you think at least based on the videos of the 750e that i see on your tube..

I think the hikvision is wider...but that might be my imagination... I see their specs...but im doubting them..
Maybe it's the weird 960 x 720 resolution, my picture looks like it has considerably more height than the posted you tube vids. I do think I could get away with a 2.8mm, however, I'm concerned the height cut would be a problem...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a first...Take advantage of it :)
I think you will be fine with the height..particularly if you run in 3mp mode...(you will lose a bit of width)...The camera in the video is mounted very high...so it give the illusion of not having enough height.
I would buy one 2.8mm and test it in all your locations so you get an idea...

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the cams that you must have audio you are looking at the 2632 or 2732 or the new DS-2CD2132F-IS http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?2028-Hikvision-DS-2CD2132F-IS-connecting-up-mic&highlight=microphone
(unless you dont care about IR strength then the 2532 would work-although there was a bad batch from china where the built in mic did not work-so if you go that route buy from a US seller)...there are a few threads about adding the mic to the 2632/2732 http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1949-Help-with-Sound-on-Hikvision-DS-2CD2732F-I(S)-camera&highlight=microphone
The IR strength would need to be good for the backyard, not as important for the front and sides. I would need at least one of the backyard cameras and the frontdoor camera to have audio, the others could just take thier audio feed in BI.

It seems like the manufacturers are releasing a bunch of new models - so I figure I will have to do the whole look and compare thing all over again - ugh! :cool:

I'll make sure to put those models on my list of ones to check - thank you!

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is a first...Take advantage of it :)
I think you will be fine with the height..particularly if you run in 3mp mode...(you will lose a bit of width)...The camera in the video is mounted very high...so it give the illusion of not having enough height.
I would buy one 2.8mm and test it in all your locations so you get an idea...
Ya, I think I will replace the frontdoor camera first with a test case camera, probably a dome, however, I'm a bit concerned about all the complaints about IR bleed I read about domes...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is another...in 3mp mode..lots of height...note that there is no way that is a night shot...its dusk...at best

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you mount a dome correctly you will not have bleed...see post 10 by milkisbad
This is a 4mm 2032 night shot
That is 4mm? I really thought 4mm would be way too narrow (so I was discounting them) but that looks doable and the distance looks good.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. That is a 4mm hikvision in 2mp mode, a dahua in general will be narrower...
EDIT: The logitech field of view is measured diagonally not horizontally and therefore is actually about the same as a 2.8mm hikvision
http://support.logitech.com/product/7252

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you think of the Dahua IPC-HFW2300R-Z? It doesn't have audio or an SD card slot but the motorized zoom and focus sounds very appealing for the driveway camera (this is the camera that provides security for not just me but the neighborhood - the police have used the clips from this camera on several occasions).

The Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-I also looks good for that purpose - and it has an SD card slot and the 3D DNR & DWDR & BLC features - no mic though - poo! Not sure if the price difference is worth it though.