Looking to replace my aging outdated Logitech alert 750e cameras

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Logitechs were the first cameras I bought several years ago and overall, I wasn't dissatisfied with them. They worked fine with BI. My experience was you could not assign a static IP address to them and if you tried to reserve the IP address in the router, it screwed with them and they would lock up requiring a hard reset. Once they picked an IP address, they would keep it relatively well. Also, the SD cards would get corrupted pretty quickly. Those were not needed with BI.

I ended up selling them for considerably more than I paid for them and replaced them with higher MP cameras for about 1/2 the money.

RickyBobby

n3wb
Reaction score
Am gonna get ahold of a local surveillance camera installer n see what they offer in terms of a wired system.......but am asking around, cause I want someone that has good recommendations .....I don't wanna pick one out of the phone book........sorta speak.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Am gonna get ahold of a local surveillance camera installer n see what they offer in terms of a wired system.......but am asking around, cause I want someone that has good recommendations .....I don't wanna pick one out of the phone book........sorta speak.....
The problem with asking around is that most homeowners dont know that the got screwed on a subpar system. Here are some signs to look for.
1) If they try to sell you on analog run the other way.
2) Ask them how they are going to run the cable be specific (in wall etc)
3) Ask them what type and brand of cable they intend to use

spektator

n3wb
Reaction score
I am in the process of moving away from Logitech Alert to Blue Iris. I did have some issues with getting Blue Iris to recognize the cameras. First, I have to note that I am still registered with Logitech Alert, so the camera are doing double time, sending video to both Alert and Blue Iris. I had to go in with a sniffer like Fing to determine what the IP address assigned to the Logitech cameras and then populate that information in the Blue Iris parameters. It appears that the Logitech camera get their IP addresses reset on a regular basis. When that happens, they are no longer 'visible' to the Blue Iris software. To solve that problem, I pulled the MAC ID from the cameras and had my router assign the same IP address to the camera. Everything works well now. The only issue is that the Logitechs can only serve one master at a time so I sometimes miss motion on the Blue Iris because the Alert system is pulling video. My guess, I will see how it works after my Alert subscription expires.

I have several cameras in addition to the Logitechs on Blue Iris, including Hikvision, Sharx, and Insteon/Foxcam. All are working fine. I have Blue Iris working on a dedicated gaming machine I picked up second hand. It is an I7 with 16G running Windows 10. Its typical cpu usage is 50% supporting six HD cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have several cameras in addition to the Logitechs on Blue Iris, including Hikvision, Sharx, and Insteon/Foxcam. All are working fine. I have Blue Iris working on a dedicated gaming machine I picked up second hand. It is an I7 with 16G running Windows 10. Its typical cpu usage is 50% supporting six HD cameras.
What model i7, there is a HUGE variation between models and generations. If you set the cameras to record direct to disk - record tab, file format, you will significantly reduce cpu consumption.

spektator

n3wb
Reaction score
I have all of the cameras set to record on motion, no full time logging, I played around with the file format and left it with the native. The machine is an ASUS ROG GR8 i7-4510 so it is two generations back. Right now, it is running at 42% for the CPU, plenty of headroom. Blue Iris is also set up for remote access but that doesn't appear to have a significant impact on CPU cycles.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have all of the cameras set to record on motion, no full time logging, I played around with the file format and left it with the native. The machine is an ASUS ROG GR8 i7-4510 so it is two generations back. Right now, it is running at 42% for the CPU, plenty of headroom. Blue Iris is also set up for remote access but that doesn't appear to have a significant impact on CPU cycles.
That processor is not a true i7...its a low power U processor that scores about 40 percent less than a same generation i5...that said, your cpu use is high, for your load. Blue iris DVR (BVR) is the default fine container for blue iris and is the best options. HOWEVER, by default direct to disk is NOT selected. If you select direct to disk you will lower your cpu consumption by more than half. You can further lower cpu consumption by enabling hardware acceleration.

spektator

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it is an i7 built for laptops. With a good GPU and video card, the performance is great, so I am happy with the Asus machine. It replaced an low end I5 that couldn't handle two hd cameras. Direct to Disk wont keep the time stamps embedded in the video from what the help text says, I would still like these. Guess I will live with the default. thanks for the help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it is an i7 built for laptops. With a good GPU and video card, the performance is great, so I am happy with the Asus machine. It replaced an low end I5 that couldn't handle two hd cameras. Direct to Disk wont keep the time stamps embedded in the video from what the help text says, I would still like these. Guess I will live with the default. thanks for the help.
The cameras have their own time stamp...that is how every nvr records video...also you can add the timestamp back at export if you wish (if you use the bvr format)..
run timesync tool tool on your pc for a local time server if you wish...
Blue iris utilizes intel HD video for hardware acceleration if you enable it. There is zero benefit to the nvidia card when using 6 720p cameras...