Lorex 2K doorbell

georgenox

n3wb
Reaction score
The bad news is that I confirmed that the Lorex 2K doorbell does not have port 80 open (and thus no integrations based on Amcrest HTTP SDK).
It also does not seem to support ONVIF so that it cannot be configured into Blue Iris and other 3rd party NVRs in an 'automated' way.

However: It supports RTSP with both a main stream and a substream. This means that the permanent video feed can be recorded in any NVR system. However: If doing this, it means that detection events generated by the camera will not be visible to the NVR (as far as I know, so far). However, certain NVRs can do their own detections based on the RTSP feed instead of relying on those done by the camera itself.

Lorex 2K (and all other rebranded dahua cameras) do have port 5000 and 35000 open; these ports are used by Dahua's propriatery protocols for NVR and configuration. The good news is that there are scripts and clients that can use these protocols, and with a little work, can be integrated into home assistant and similar. I have just managed to get all events from the doorbel (button click, motion detection, person detection) to MQTT and from there to Home Assistant and/or NodeRed, so that I can do further automations. I am using a docker container running this Elad Bar / DahuaVTO2MQTT to listen to the doorbell events and push them to my MQTT broker.

All in all, this took a full day to figure out, and if your goal is to do home assistant integrations you're probably better off with Amcrest AD410.
That said, Lorex 2K can be made to work but needs a bit more time and persistence.

Last edited:

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is/will port 80 open on the Dahua version, or is it just Amcrest that provides that port open for the SDK with those APIs?
I would have opted for the Amcrest version as well if it was available via Amazon.ca. I do like the white case rather than black though!

georgenox

n3wb
Reaction score
Is/will port 80 open on the Dahua version, or is it just Amcrest that provides that port open for the SDK with those APIs?
I would have opted for the Amcrest version as well if it was available via Amazon.ca. I do like the white case rather than black though!
I did a full configuration dump (using this tool: mcw0/DahuaConsole ) and there are things in there from dahua that point to port 80 existing, and also onvif. However, Lorex must have locked these down using some iptables rule or disabled those services. My guess is that all work on the dahua model (as well as amcrest). However, dont have it to test.

Jbach

n3wb
Reaction score
The bad news is that I confirmed that the Lorex 2K doorbell does not have port 80 open (and thus no integrations based on Amcrest HTTP SDK).
It also does not seem to support ONVIF so that it cannot be configured into Blue Iris and other 3rd party NVRs in an 'automated' way.

However: It supports RTSP with both a main stream and a substream. This means that the permanent video feed can be recorded in any NVR system. However: If doing this, it means that detection events generated by the camera will not be visible to the NVR (as far as I know, so far). However, certain NVRs can do their own detections based on the RTSP feed instead of relying on those done by the camera itself.

Lorex 2K (and all other rebranded dahua cameras) do have port 5000 and 35000 open; these ports are used by Dahua's propriatery protocols for NVR and configuration. The good news is that there are scripts and clients that can use these protocols, and with a little work, can be integrated into home assistant and similar. I have just managed to get all events from the doorbel (button click, motion detection, person detection) to MQTT and from there to Home Assistant and/or NodeRed, so that I can do further automations. I am using a docker container running this Elad Bar / DahuaVTO2MQTT to listen to the doorbell events and push them to my MQTT broker.

All in all, this took a full day to figure out, and if your goal is to do home assistant integrations you're probably better off with Amcrest AD410.
That said, Lorex 2K can be made to work but needs a bit more time and persistence.
Would you be willing to make a how-to guide? I'd be happy to compensate you for it. I just started playing around with Home Assistant and all I want is for my Lorex 2k to chime my Google Nest speakers when the button is pressed. It sounds like that would be an easy automation after getting the doorbell to push to MQTT. Thanks in advance.

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone get any background static noise on their Lorex 2k? I'm getting this non stop on mine, have had it replaced under warranty with a brand new unit and it's the same thing.
Mine is on 5Ghz band, I am wondering if it's due to the transformer that I'm using? Would that be possible? Other than the noise, it's rock solid and have no complaints (other than I can't remove the Lorex watermark). :)

Thanks

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone get any background static noise on their Lorex 2k? I'm getting this non stop on mine, have had it replaced under warranty with a brand new unit and it's the same thing.
Mine is on 5Ghz band, I am wondering if it's due to the transformer that I'm using? Would that be possible? Other than the noise, it's rock solid and have no complaints (other than I can't remove the Lorex watermark). :)

Thanks
I have heard that complaint before, but I don't remember where. I think it was on a doorbell comparison video on Youtube. I haven't noticed excess background noise on mine unless it's windy, but maybe that's just me. Does it sound better when there is actually someone talking? If so, it may just be a side effect of the noise cancellation.

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have heard that complaint before, but I don't remember where. I think it was on a doorbell comparison video on Youtube. I haven't noticed excess background noise on mine unless it's windy, but maybe that's just me. Does it sound better when there is actually someone talking? If so, it may just be a side effect of the noise cancellation.
Interesting, when it's windy it does pick it up (like an uncovered MIC) and when there is actual noise (voice, cars, etc) that noise goes away - but that noise white noise seems to be amplified otherwise. I'll sample a piece to post just so it's more clear what I'm talking about, maybe it will help (or maybe it won't). :)
Thanks!

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone tried using the amcrest smart home app to register/initialize the Lorex doorBell?

bigthrilla

n3wb
Reaction score

Any pointers you could share? I've tried using the DahuaVTO2MQTT and appending a port # to the IP, but no luck so far with 5000 or 35000. Any rough overview would be extremely helpful. Thank you for proving out that it works at the very least!

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any pointers you could share? I've tried using the DahuaVTO2MQTT and appending a port # to the IP, but no luck so far with 5000 or 35000. Any rough overview would be extremely helpful. Thank you for proving out that it works at the very least!
Ive used the SmartPSS windows dahua software to configure encoding and i frames on the lorex 2k - it works

bigthrilla

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive used the SmartPSS windows dahua software to configure encoding and i frames on the lorex 2k - it works
Same here (works great in frigate) . I should have been more clear about what I'm trying to do. I want to capture the button press so I can automate alerts in Home Assistant.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same here (works great in frigate) . I should have been more clear about what I'm trying to do. I want to capture the button press so I can automate alerts in Home Assistant.
Maybe you should get a camera that someone already wrote the python automation library for it. It looks like you have 7 different manufacturers already supported. Integrations

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Wondering how you keep the BI server safe from hacking if conencting this via wifi. Surely, if connected to your main home router, you're opening an non VPN tunnel straight from the router to the BI server. By the same token, if anyone can hack the doorbell's wifi interface, you have a route into your main home network. Are there additional precautions needed for conencting wifi devices to BI servers?

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since these doorbells are all Dahua rebranded, do they still try to TFTP at boot time in order to grab firmware, like the POE cameras, or do they have a different behaviour?
I'm tempted to try and load up Dahua firmware on it via SmarPSS, but I don't want to hose it... :)

bigthrilla

n3wb
Reaction score
Got it working last night. Since I don't have a user/pass on my mqtt broker I had to remove the variables from the docker config. Then it started working like a charm, no need for specifying ports. The error I had been getting looked like it was having issues connecting to the doorbell, but I guess that wasn't the case at all. Hope this helps someone.

droidkid

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking at this to replace my nest door bell (tired of not having video history) I currently have a 4 camera lorex DVR and a lorex indoor camera for the pup. I have a few nest hubs and a bunch of Google home minis. Fee things I would like to know for anyone who has nest hubs and/or Google home minis

I know the door bell can link up to Google home similar to my DVR.

When the door bell rings will it show up on my nest hubs and ring on my Google homes similar to how it works with my nest doorbell

Desta

n3wb
Reaction score
i just got the Lorex 2K QHD Video Doorbell working with BlueIris
Set it up in the Lorex Home App
entered the IP address in Blue Iris new camera
used admin for the username and the password i entered in the lorex home app
and it works:)
haven't tried the triggers yet but the video works
also they are on sale for $99 today so i'm going to order a few more