Lorex dvr loud fan fix - $5.59

LaurieO

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a friend going by my Mom's house today to take pictures/measurements....if I post them here, do you think you can tell me which fan I should order?

You guys are the BEST!!!!

LaurieO

n3wb
Reaction score
Fan1.JPG Fan2.JPG Fan3.JPG Fan4.JPG

Okay, my friend tried to take pictures of the fan inside the DVR....does this help to isolate which one I need to buy?

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Noctura fan ( )will work for both places. The smaller fan in the heat sink must be removed and the new fan screwed to the heatsink blowing down. Mine worked with 10 32 screws as shown in my last post and the first post in this thread. Use a washer if needed to afix fans.
The other fan is just bolted in. On my board both headers were 5V.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

LaurieO

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay excellent! At least I now know what to order....now another question and please, please forgive my ignorance but what are you referring to when you say that "the smaller fan in the heat sink".....what is the heat sink?

LaurieO

n3wb
Reaction score
Got it. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with this....like I said, you all are way smarter than me in this area and I greatly appreciate your knowledge and assistance!

rover888

n3wb
Reaction score
Just wanted to say Thanks for all your help. I added two Noctua 5v fans, one on the heat sink and using the second fan header as an exhaust (see pics)...It's running cool and smooth now, no more heat-related reboots every 10 minutes!100_6274.JPG 100_6270.JPG

anks329

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased a system with NR9082X base and I was thinking of replacing the fan for a more silent operation. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I recently purchased a system with NR9082X base and I was thinking of replacing the fan for a more silent operation. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
Same question. Very excessive amount fan noise coming from the Lorex NR9082X.

Suggestions on quieter fans?

TIA.

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a video of the NR9082X interior. He says the power supply fan is the noisy one for him. If you feel comfortable doing such things, then dive right in.
Check the size (?40 x 40 x 10 mm?) and voltage (?12V) . On Amazon look for one of the same size and voltage with ball bearings. If the size is 40mm x 40mm x 10mm and voltage 12v get the $6.79 fan below. Be sure it is works and is quieter before you install.

power supply video: fan: Amazon.com: CASE FAN, 40X40X10MM, BALL BEARING, 3-PIN: Computers & Accessories

Reaction score
I scanned the QR code on the case fan. This is the page that came up. It's 40x40x10 with a 4 pin connector. I ordered this Noctua NF-A4x10 4-pin fan to replace it. I agree with the above; I don't think the case fan is the nosier of the two fans, but every little bit will help.

These are the specs on the Delta EFB0412HHD 12V 2-Pin power supply fan. I am trying to find a quieter, suitable replacement. So far, I have only found this NF-A4x20-FLX 3-Pin Noctua, but it is only rated for an airflow of 9,4 m³/h vs. the stock fan's 16 m³/h.

Last edited:

moallen

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed a Lorex D841 DVR n my home office last week. The cooling fan is definitely overkill for my situation. I suppose if it was installed in a confined space a high-speed fan would be necessary but not on my desk. It's very distracting. Anyway, here's my fix.

My D841 came with a 12 volt fan running on 12 volts. I rewired it to run off the red/black 5 volt wires feeding the hard drive. It starts up just fine and runs very quiet. I've been checking the temperature of the case above the cpu heat sink with my IR Thermometer. It reads 81 F degrees. The temperature on the fan grill reads 86 degrees. That's with a room temperature of 70 degrees.

For what it's worth the temperature on the fan grill of my Windows computer runs around 95 F. Of course, the speed of my computer's fan is controlled by its cpu temperature. It's too bad Lorex doesn't automatically control the fan speed according to temperature. They could at least have a manual switch to control the speed. This is a long-running thread. I guess Lorex doesn't get it.

Louver16

n3wb
Reaction score
This is an informative topic, OP. Thanks for starting the thread!
I agree. The stock cooling fans sound like turbines.
Noctua for the win, when building PC's, why not here as well? Makes sense!!!
For what's paid for the higher end systems, get with it LOREX. No excuse!!