Lorex dvr loud fan fix - $5.59

Reaction score
Mine has a small fan on heatsink....making all kinds of noise.... has been running 24/7 for 2.5 years.... and i went to pc store amd got the smallest fan he had and untill i find a fan that will fix i used tooth picks to elevate the second fan over the factory one..... after cleaning and putting some oil on the factory fan this os what i did..... ordered this fan... so hope it fits............... p.s. called lorex they told me to go to sams clubs and order the fan..... the sams clubs said they dont order parts...20180112_140627.jpg 20180112_140636.jpg 20180112_140653.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
remember to clean that dust off with a nice air blower when you get a chance...

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried several fans of the original type and they were all noisy if they worked at all. The small fan is the source of the noise. Order the fan linked from amazon, shut off the machine, remove the (3 tiny screws under the blades) noisy fan, clean the dust away, and install new fan blowing down with two or more 10/32 screws per the picture. Plug the fan into the same place the old fan was plugged in. Test that fan starts up dependably every time. Fan is very quiet. Done.
That should do it
fan link: IMG_2419.JPG

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nevitte

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement heat sink for the lorex dvr's. I took out the fan that stopped working and removed the heat sink as well thinking that the dvr was shot because of another issue. Found out that my other problem most likely could be corrected by just replacing the power supply and now want to put the dvr back together but can't find the heat sink. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. I did order a new dvr from Lorex and am not happy with the new firmware which makes the playback on their dvr's much less user friendly and Lorex tech support is not what it used to be!

Sundaze

n3wb
Reaction score
Price now $4.93
If your Lorex dvr/ nvr fan matches the 5V first picture
View attachment 6864
you can replace it with this 12V fan. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OFL1J8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Remove the integral fan with the 3 tiny screws between the blades. Be sure to remove the old fan. Most people will need to buy a small enough philips screwdriver to remove these screws. For the wire connections (just black and red) either splice in the colors to the old connector or realign the pins in the new fan as shown which ever you desire. I used screws for my accessory box, I believe they are 1440 machine screws.
I did this in July 2015 for 2 of my son's systems and it cools well and is very quiet.
View attachment 6865View attachment 6863

Jim
Thank you for the info and pix.
Of course you can't get quieter than no fan at all. This fan can be installed without removing the board which some people might not want to do and I couldn't find a readily available heat sink replacement that fit.
Both fan plugs on the board are 5V. This fan (ball bearing) is 12V but still starts, runs slower, and is very quiet. There were several integrally mounted fans that I tried as cheap as 3.49, but they were all 12V fans that would not start reliably with the 5v. The Noctua (known for quiet) fans at 5V and 12V are about $14 on Amazon.

Jim
Thank you for the info and pictures. When I called Lorex complaining about the fan (noise started six months after getting it, but stuff comes up and I called one month after warrenty expired), they wanted me to but a whole new recorder for $250! I have been enduring the deafening sound, but no longer use the room, because of the noise! I want my living room back! Please tell me, the fan that you listed, is it as quiet as the Noctua you mentioned? And, if I get the Noctua, would I get the 5V or 12V? I don't mind spending a few extra dollars if it is quieter. It is because of posts like yours, that gives me the courage to tackle these kinds of fixes. Thanks again!

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the info and pix.

Thank you for the info and pictures. When I called Lorex complaining about the fan (noise started six months after getting it, but stuff comes up and I called one month after warrenty expired), they wanted me to but a whole new recorder for $250! I have been enduring the deafening sound, but no longer use the room, because of the noise! I want my living room back! Please tell me, the fan that you listed, is it as quiet as the Noctua you mentioned? And, if I get the Noctua, would I get the 5V or 12V? I don't mind spending a few extra dollars if it is quieter. It is because of posts like yours, that gives me the courage to tackle these kinds of fixes. Thanks again!
Either fan (my suggestion, and the 5v Noctua) are better in all respects than the stock one. They push more air, are more reliable, and are quieter. Be sure to remove the existing fan and have the airflow down so the heatsink gets properly cooled. If you get another 12V fan, test it well to be sure it starts dependably upon powerup.
My boy's system is still working and very effective.

Last edited:

Sundaze

n3wb
Reaction score
Either fan (my suggestion, and the 5v Noctua) are better in all respects than the stock one. They push more air, are more reliable, and are quieter. Be sure to remove the existing fan and have the airflow down so the heatsink gets properly cooled. If you get another 12V fan, test it well to be sure it starts dependably upon powerup.
My boy's system is still working and very effective.
Thank you for your help. May I ask another question, please? My system also stop recording, the alarm would not stop, so I replaced the power supply adaptor, someone recommeded. I plugged it in, but it is still screaming, and says No HDD. Can you help me with this please?

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If the no HDD is true, do the following. You ?could get going for under $100 if only the HDD is bad.

Pick a new purple Western Digital drive for your DVR/NVR at this link: wd purple hdd - Newegg.com
Make sure the size you pick is supported by your unit - or get the same size.
Here is a 2 TB purple drive on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Surveillance-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B00IMPO5MO/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1541374296&sr=1-12&keywords=sata+cable

Change per these general instructions:
Lorex changing instructions. Cover screws may be on the sides, be sure to reformat the new drive.

Last edited:

Sundaze

n3wb
Reaction score
If the no HDD is true, do the following. You ?could get going for under $100 if only the HDD is bad.

1. Thank you! it says the HDD is full. I didn't think that was possible, I thought it recorded over and over. I guess that's what's happens when it goes bad? I haven't saved anything, because I don't know how to! I also don't know how to put the alarm back on, once I replace the drive. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

LaurieO

n3wb
Reaction score
I posted this on the "introduction" thread but this thread might be more appropriate:

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I just lost my father and my mother is now alone at her house. Several years ago, I installed a Lorex security camera system at her house but the DVR is overheating, alarming and shutting down. Because she's alone, I really need to get this system working. Both of the DVR internal fans have stopped working, I'm hoping that I can just install new fans to get it functioning again but I can't seem to find out what replacement fans to buy. The model is a Lorex 16 channel LHV101600.

I've contacted Lorex just asking what type of fan is in the unit but they tell me that my system is out of warranty and they advise against replacing the fans.

Any help or referral to the correct forum would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this on the "introduction" thread but this thread might be more appropriate:

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I just lost my father and my mother is now alone at her house. Several years ago, I installed a Lorex security camera system at her house but the DVR is overheating, alarming and shutting down. Because she's alone, I really need to get this system working. Both of the DVR internal fans have stopped working, I'm hoping that I can just install new fans to get it functioning again but I can't seem to find out what replacement fans to buy. The model is a Lorex 16 channel LHV101600.

I've contacted Lorex just asking what type of fan is in the unit but they tell me that my system is out of warranty and they advise against replacing the fans.

Any help or referral to the correct forum would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Hi Laurie,

Open up the DVR - take a picture of the insides - measure the size of the fans - do a search for fans of that size online - compare the pictures - if looks good - order it and try them out.

Or take the DVR to a local computer repair shop and ask them to replace the fans.

update: see Completely Clueless but hoping for some help with a Lorex DVR

Last edited:

LaurieO

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't do that. I'm on the east coast and the DVR (mom) is on the West Coast. I was there for my dads funeral when I tried to get the system operating. Didn't think it would be so difficult to just get the part number of the fan from Lorex but they don't seem eager to help.....at all. I can get someone to replace the fans for me (for my mom) but I just have to know what kind to get. Frustrating.

LaurieO

n3wb
Reaction score
She's relatively disabled and in mourning right now....I'm just trying to do what I can to make sure her house is safe. I'm going to have a friend try and get measurements of the fan inside the unit. It's odd to me that I can't just google the spec sheet for that particular DVR to get the fan info but they must lock that info down tight! Thanks for the suggestion.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Buy a similar unit on eBay and cannibalize it for parts?...you might find that old model pretty cheap?

LaurieO

n3wb
Reaction score
Crazy as that sounds, that might be the easiest thing to do. Gosh, who knew it would be this difficult to find a tiny little fan!

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will need to know the size, the thickness, and the voltage they are wired to. Even if an exact replacement isn't feasible, a working fan afixed near vented holes will help.
If the unit is overheating it isn't doing any good there anyway, so sending it to you will not hurt. When most Lorex units overheat or have a power failure, the alarm goes off.

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Lorex 16 channel LHV101600 appears to be a 16 channel 720/ 1080p DVR with the same single fan in stock form as the 8 channel unit in the first post of this thread. IF that is correct, the replacement procedure would be the same as pictured in post #1. That fan was a 40mm X 40mm X 10mm at 12V. With the distance involved get the expensive 5V fan at $13.95 prime and install with 2 machine screws AFTER REMOVING the bad fan. https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Cooling-Bearing-NF-A4X10-FLX-5V/dp/B00NEMGCIA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1544851980&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=notura+fan+40mm+5v

LaurieO

n3wb
Reaction score
In my notes, I see that I wrote down the model number of the DVR which is the Lorex LHV101600 then I wrote Fan: 141201

Does that fan number mean anything?

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Last edited: