Lorex E892AB vs E891AB... Share your experience?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello learned people,

First post here. Sucker wireless camera user, working up the courage to lay the cat wire down next week and jump into the much more improved world of the PoE!

My journey is similar to all the new users. Reolink looked like a dream out of the box! But thanks to their production shortage, I'm reading and reading and reading . One day, I might go full Blue Iris, but for now, looking for a startup solution while I put down a better, not perfect PoE system down.

Picked up the Lorex E892AB 8 camera kit from Costco. Sadly, the E891AB cameras have been replaced for these smaller 1/2.8" vs. the bigger sensor 1/1.8" E891AB.

In theory, everyone says the bigger sensor is better, but is there anyone here who can share their actual usage experience with the two models? What feature loss have you seen for the E891AB, for the supposed better low light performance vs the E892AB?

If the E891AB performance is actually that much better, I'll opt for the long term solution of getting a Lorex NVR, but adding the individual cameras.

I should mention, I do value the Smart Home and Detection features as I've heard they could really be useful in filtering out valid footage vs. Nonsense.

Thanks all!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a thread to get you started...someone that bought the Costco and quickly realized it's shortcomings and took back and upgraded.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some reading material and anecdotal Costco kits my neighbors have.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Most 4k are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Next you need to worry about getting the right camera for the right location.

You would be shocked how close someone needs to be to a 2.8 lens in order to ID them. And how much additional light is needed at night (when it matters most).

Take a look at this chart - to identify someone with the 2.8mm lens that is popular, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1604638118196.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 4k 2.8mm fixed lens cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away.

When we had a thief come thru here and get into a lot of cars, the police couldn't use one video or photo from anyone's system that had fixed 2.8mm or 3.6mm cams - those cams sure looks nice and gives a great wide angle view, but you cannot identify anyone at 15 feet out. Especially my other neighbor that installed eight 2.8mm cameras on the 2nd floor soffit. At night you cannot even ID someone from 10 feet. Meanwhile, the perp didn't come to my house but walked past on the sidewalk at 80 feet from my house and my 2MP varifocal zoomed in to a point at the sidewalk was the money shot for the police that got my neighbors all there stolen stuff back.

In fact my system was the only one that gave them useful information. No wait, they could let the police know what time the door checker tried their car but nothing useful to ID the person. Not even my other neighbors $1,300 4k Lorex system from Costco provided useful info - the cams just didn't cut it at night. His system wasn't even a year old and after that event has started replacing with cameras purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY on this site based on my recommendation and seeing my results - fortunately those cams work with the Lorex NVR. He is still shocked a 2MP camera performs better than his 4k cameras... It is all about the amount of light needed and getting the right camera for the right location. Another neighbor just got the 4k Costco kit with the 1/1.8" sensor and it is certainly better than the previous model on the smaller sensor, but it struggles on anything other than auto settings.

My first few systems were the box units that were all 2.8mm lens and while the picture looked great in daytime, to identify someone you didn't know is impossible unless they are within 10 feet of the camera, and even then it is tough. You are getting the benefit coming to this site of hearing thoughts from people that have been there/done that.

We all hate to be that guy with a system and something happens and the event demonstrates how poor our system was and then we start the update process. My neighbor with his expensive arlos and monthly fees is that guy right now and is still fuming his system failed him. And my neighbor with his 4K Costco kit is as well LOL.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the 5442 Dahua OEM camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor works as well (Or equivalent HIK models).
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

Main keys are you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who. Also, do not chase marketing phrases like ColorVu and Full Color and the like - all cameras need light - simple physics...

The best advice we give is purchase one varifocal camera and test it at each location you want to install a camera and confirm the lens you need and do not install higher than 7-8 feet unless it is for an overview camera - otherwise you get top of heads and hoodies.

Since you mentioned Blue Iris, strong consider a Blue Iris/computer combo as an NVR. Keep in mind an NVR is a stripped down computer after all....and isn't true plug-n-play like people believe. You still have to dial the cameras into your setting. Once you do that, might as well go with something that has the best chance of working with many different camera brands. And I have found Blue Iris to be more robust and easier than an NVR. As always, YMMV...

When I was looking at replacing an existing NVR, once I realized that not all NVRs are created equal, and once I priced out a good one, it was cheaper to buy a refurbished computer than an NVR. You don't need to buy components and build one.

Many of these refurbished computers are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here just last month found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it.

Keep in mind that NVRs from the box units like a Amcrest and Lorex cap out incoming bandwidth (which impacts the resolution and FPS of the cameras). The Lorex and Amcrest NVR maxes out at 80Mbps and truly only one or a couple cameras that will display 4K. My neighbors was limited to that and he is all upset it isn't 4K for all eight channels and he was capped out at 4096 bitrate on each camera so it was a pixelated mess.

There is a big Blue Iris or NVR debate here LOL. Some people love Blue Iris and think NVRs are clunky and hard to use and others think Blue Iris is clunky and hard to use. I have done both and prefer Blue Iris. As with everything YMMV...

And you can disable Windows updates and set up the computer to automatically restart in a power failure. These also tend to be more secure as antivirus software is updated way more frequently than NVR firmware.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some reading material and anecdotal Costco kits my neighbors have.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Most 4k are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Next you need to worry about getting the right camera for the right location.

You would be shocked how close someone needs to be to a 2.8 lens in order to ID them. And how much additional light is needed at night (when it matters most).

Take a look at this chart - to identify someone with the 2.8mm lens that is popular, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1604638118196.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 4k 2.8mm fixed lens cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away.

When we had a thief come thru here and get into a lot of cars, the police couldn't use one video or photo from anyone's system that had fixed 2.8mm or 3.6mm cams - those cams sure looks nice and gives a great wide angle view, but you cannot identify anyone at 15 feet out. Especially my other neighbor that installed eight 2.8mm cameras on the 2nd floor soffit. At night you cannot even ID someone from 10 feet. Meanwhile, the perp didn't come to my house but walked past on the sidewalk at 80 feet from my house and my 2MP varifocal zoomed in to a point at the sidewalk was the money shot for the police that got my neighbors all there stolen stuff back.

In fact my system was the only one that gave them useful information. No wait, they could let the police know what time the door checker tried their car but nothing useful to ID the person. Not even my other neighbors $1,300 4k Lorex system from Costco provided useful info - the cams just didn't cut it at night. His system wasn't even a year old and after that event has started replacing with cameras purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY on this site based on my recommendation and seeing my results - fortunately those cams work with the Lorex NVR. He is still shocked a 2MP camera performs better than his 4k cameras... It is all about the amount of light needed and getting the right camera for the right location. Another neighbor just got the 4k Costco kit with the 1/1.8" sensor and it is certainly better than the previous model on the smaller sensor, but it struggles on anything other than auto settings.

My first few systems were the box units that were all 2.8mm lens and while the picture looked great in daytime, to identify someone you didn't know is impossible unless they are within 10 feet of the camera, and even then it is tough. You are getting the benefit coming to this site of hearing thoughts from people that have been there/done that.

We all hate to be that guy with a system and something happens and the event demonstrates how poor our system was and then we start the update process. My neighbor with his expensive arlos and monthly fees is that guy right now and is still fuming his system failed him. And my neighbor with his 4K Costco kit is as well LOL.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the 5442 Dahua OEM camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor works as well (Or equivalent HIK models).
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

Main keys are you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who. Also, do not chase marketing phrases like ColorVu and Full Color and the like - all cameras need light - simple physics...

The best advice we give is purchase one varifocal camera and test it at each location you want to install a camera and confirm the lens you need and do not install higher than 7-8 feet unless it is for an overview camera - otherwise you get top of heads and hoodies.

Since you mentioned Blue Iris, strong consider a Blue Iris/computer combo as an NVR. Keep in mind an NVR is a stripped down computer after all....and isn't true plug-n-play like people believe. You still have to dial the cameras into your setting. Once you do that, might as well go with something that has the best chance of working with many different camera brands. And I have found Blue Iris to be more robust and easier than an NVR. As always, YMMV...

When I was looking at replacing an existing NVR, once I realized that not all NVRs are created equal, and once I priced out a good one, it was cheaper to buy a refurbished computer than an NVR. You don't need to buy components and build one.

Many of these refurbished computers are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here just last month found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it.

Keep in mind that NVRs from the box units like a Amcrest and Lorex cap out incoming bandwidth (which impacts the resolution and FPS of the cameras). The Lorex and Amcrest NVR maxes out at 80Mbps and truly only one or a couple cameras that will display 4K. My neighbors was limited to that and he is all upset it isn't 4K for all eight channels and he was capped out at 4096 bitrate on each camera so it was a pixelated mess.

There is a big Blue Iris or NVR debate here LOL. Some people love Blue Iris and think NVRs are clunky and hard to use and others think Blue Iris is clunky and hard to use. I have done both and prefer Blue Iris. As with everything YMMV...

And you can disable Windows updates and set up the computer to automatically restart in a power failure. These also tend to be more secure as antivirus software is updated way more frequently than NVR firmware.
@wittaj - What a wonderful first reply to my very first post! I sincerely thank you for all of your thoughtfulness!

Between the thread you shared and your own knowledge sharing, I now understand very quickly, MP is not the thing to chase, and 2.8 1/2.8" sensor sizes are more or less useless for low light situations. Makes sense. I also kinda never thought about how important would identification of the culprit be, if things go bad. And then the difference between monitoring vs. security.

The bad news is, it makes me that much more paranoid and collecting the perfect system as individual pieces daunting and possibly expensive too.

I guess much like anyone coming to the world of PoE, I was spoiled by the ease and affordability of the likes or systems by Reolink. Even this Lorex is cheap for what they give. Then the convenience and the one stop shop for support, if things go wrong. Not to mention the features they're packing in one package! Reolink has a camera coming out with is 4K, 8MP, Spotlight, 2 way audio, AI and 5x optical zoom in one camera for $109!!! But of course, they've cut corners with the same 2.8mm sensor, making it somewhat useless at night... But you see the draw?

I'm surprised to leant the Lorex with the 1.8" sensor performed so poorly too? I guess the FoV is too high and that many more pixels to push with still a smallish sensor.

With all of this said, I have limitations, building my system per your advice and how to get there.

For one, if I'm collecting all these different cameras, I think Blue Iris on an older developer laptop I have might have to be the go to.

Then comes my physical constraints. My home is a new construction, with high ceilings wherever possible. Meaning without drilling into the stone of my home, which I don't want to do, I cannot mount any of these cameras lower 11 to 10 feet! So there is that.

Then the question of price. Some of these cameras you shared, including the one that Andy shared are over $200 per camera! Man... Hard to justify that cost... Especially knowing that maybe next year, they'll be much cheaper based on SoC supply.

Lastly, when I mix and match, do you know what happens to the smart AI and smart home features that are embedded in the likes of Lorex? I want to avoid phantom notifications using AI, for all of my cameras, integrate with my Smart Home to be able to use some other features.

So much now to think about. Do you think I can DM you some pictures around the areas I'd like to monitor? We generally live in a crime-free neighborhood, but you may never know, you know?

if you prefer 4K model, can check IPC-HDW5831R-ZE
Appreciate this share, Andy! Very expensive though haha!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, we hear you about the ease of use that many of the consumer grade products provide and there is a big price people pay for that ease of use. Millions of people around the world want the simplicity of Internet of Things (IoTs) to be easy to connect to their system and work. They do not want to deal with security. They wrongfully assume that because they bought it and all they have to do is scan a QR code, that all is good. A manufacturer also doesn't want to deal with endless phone calls from consumers asking how to set something up.

So these companies create these QR codes/P2P and magically the new device can be seen on the consumers app. Consumer is happy. But, this device has opened up the system to gain easy access to your entire network, usually through a port forward, opening a port, or something else. But regardless of the method, it opens up the system.

Do not assume that because it is a name brand that they actually have good security on these cameras or any device for that matter. Think about the typical end-user that just wants simplicity to connect. And then think how a company would go about that to provide that simplicity. End result is to provide that simplicity, it comes at a cost and that cost is security vulnerabilities, which is ironic for security cameras. But if it can happen to Amazon/Ring (which is a fairly large company), it can happen to anyone, especially all the no-name brands being sold on Amazon.

Keep in mind that Lorex is a rebranded Dahua camera, but usually with corners cut and stripped down capabilities in order to meet a price point that Lorex wants to sell at. So you are paying for brand name recognition and you can contact their support number for questions you have about setup. In the US, a lot of consumer grade junk costs more than a Dahua or Hikvision which is why you do not see those at the local Best Buy or Wal-Mart....

The Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and support and thus are on our own to figure it out. We are fortunate a forum like this exists to help with that. We do not exist in their world and that is their business model and they made the business decision to not compete with the Rings and Nests of the world and as such to do offer these cameras at box stores for consumers to purchase directly. They cater to the professional installers...and would tell you to contact the vendor you got them from...

Contrast that with consumer grade cameras. You can call a Night Owl or Arlo or Reolink or Lorex or Amcrest or DLink or Google Nest or Ring and speak to a representative (now whether they can help you or not is another story), but they will not tell you to talk to Best Buy where you purchased it...and several of these cost the same or more as Dahua or Hikvision...

Now most consumers are fascinated with MP more so than they are picture quality, so as long as Rings and Arlos and Reolinks and what not are sold in large quantities and people just accept the inferior night images, we will continue to see higher MP on smaller sensors to save costs.

Given the worldwide chip shortage, I do not think any camera you buy today will be cheaper a year from now. In fact, most are implementing an across the board increase of 15% this month!

The general public (and wives LOL) enjoy the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood", but in most cases that results in not being able to ID a perp. But that is why the Arlos and Rings and Amcrest and Lorex and Night Owl type kits sell the 2.8mm lens because the wide view is what people want...and they do not realize the limitations as a result of that.

One of my neighbors just bought a 4 cam Night Owl system and installed them all up on his 2nd story soffit and is like wow I can see my whole property....and then when an aggressive solicitor got in his face in his driveway in the middle of the day, the footage was useless to make out the person. Meanwhile my autotrack PTZ got great captures of the entire aggressive solicitor LOL.

Given the worldwide chip shortage, I do not think any camera you purchase today will be cheaper a year from now. In fact most have announced increases of 15% starting this month or next month!

Yeah, it may be more expensive, but do you want a system that can IDENTIFY or observe...nothing worse than your property being violated and your camera got zero usable footage to share with the police.

Since you have mentioned a certain camera brand, I will leave you with this...

This is an example from their marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy any system that you cannot change the shutter speed or control any other parameter. Could this provide anything useful for the police? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1613251115189.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello learned people,

First post here. Sucker wireless camera user, working up the courage to lay the cat wire down next week and jump into the much more improved world of the PoE!

My journey is similar to all the new users. Reolink looked like a dream out of the box! But thanks to their production shortage, I'm reading and reading and reading . One day, I might go full Blue Iris, but for now, looking for a startup solution while I put down a better, not perfect PoE system down.

Picked up the Lorex E892AB 8 camera kit from Costco. Sadly, the E891AB cameras have been replaced for these smaller 1/2.8" vs. the bigger sensor 1/1.8" E891AB.

In theory, everyone says the bigger sensor is better, but is there anyone here who can share their actual usage experience with the two models? What feature loss have you seen for the E891AB, for the supposed better low light performance vs the E892AB?

If the E891AB performance is actually that much better, I'll opt for the long term solution of getting a Lorex NVR, but adding the individual cameras.

I should mention, I do value the Smart Home and Detection features as I've heard they could really be useful in filtering out valid footage vs. Nonsense.

Thanks all!
Hi @ProTapper

If you can grab and include the pdfs from the Lorex Spec sheet links and include them here, that would be useful.

We should have some image captures from the 1/1.8" E891AB cameras from members iirc - so you can search for that.

The challenge is finding people who have both cameras and time to do a back to back review of those.

From the specs - I would recommend avoiding the smaller sensor models if you can afford to find better kits.

Good thing about Costco last I checked was the good return policies - so you can test your kit.

Perhaps pick up one 1/1.8" camera to compare the new models with..

One option always is to pick up a couple good 1/1.8" cameras and augment the kit with those ( i.e. replace the cameras if you have a full kit )

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, we hear you about the ease of use that many of the consumer grade products provide and there is a big price people pay for that ease of use. Millions of people around the world want the simplicity of Internet of Things (IoTs) to be easy to connect to their system and work. They do not want to deal with security. They wrongfully assume that because they bought it and all they have to do is scan a QR code, that all is good. A manufacturer also doesn't want to deal with endless phone calls from consumers asking how to set something up.

So these companies create these QR codes/P2P and magically the new device can be seen on the consumers app. Consumer is happy. But, this device has opened up the system to gain easy access to your entire network, usually through a port forward, opening a port, or something else. But regardless of the method, it opens up the system.

Do not assume that because it is a name brand that they actually have good security on these cameras or any device for that matter. Think about the typical end-user that just wants simplicity to connect. And then think how a company would go about that to provide that simplicity. End result is to provide that simplicity, it comes at a cost and that cost is security vulnerabilities, which is ironic for security cameras. But if it can happen to Amazon/Ring (which is a fairly large company), it can happen to anyone, especially all the no-name brands being sold on Amazon.

Keep in mind that Lorex is a rebranded Dahua camera, but usually with corners cut and stripped down capabilities in order to meet a price point that Lorex wants to sell at. So you are paying for brand name recognition and you can contact their support number for questions you have about setup. In the US, a lot of consumer grade junk costs more than a Dahua or Hikvision which is why you do not see those at the local Best Buy or Wal-Mart....

The Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and support and thus are on our own to figure it out. We are fortunate a forum like this exists to help with that. We do not exist in their world and that is their business model and they made the business decision to not compete with the Rings and Nests of the world and as such to do offer these cameras at box stores for consumers to purchase directly. They cater to the professional installers...and would tell you to contact the vendor you got them from...

Contrast that with consumer grade cameras. You can call a Night Owl or Arlo or Reolink or Lorex or Amcrest or DLink or Google Nest or Ring and speak to a representative (now whether they can help you or not is another story), but they will not tell you to talk to Best Buy where you purchased it...and several of these cost the same or more as Dahua or Hikvision...

Now most consumers are fascinated with MP more so than they are picture quality, so as long as Rings and Arlos and Reolinks and what not are sold in large quantities and people just accept the inferior night images, we will continue to see higher MP on smaller sensors to save costs.

Given the worldwide chip shortage, I do not think any camera you buy today will be cheaper a year from now. In fact, most are implementing an across the board increase of 15% this month!

The general public (and wives LOL) enjoy the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood", but in most cases that results in not being able to ID a perp. But that is why the Arlos and Rings and Amcrest and Lorex and Night Owl type kits sell the 2.8mm lens because the wide view is what people want...and they do not realize the limitations as a result of that.

One of my neighbors just bought a 4 cam Night Owl system and installed them all up on his 2nd story soffit and is like wow I can see my whole property....and then when an aggressive solicitor got in his face in his driveway in the middle of the day, the footage was useless to make out the person. Meanwhile my autotrack PTZ got great captures of the entire aggressive solicitor LOL.

Given the worldwide chip shortage, I do not think any camera you purchase today will be cheaper a year from now. In fact most have announced increases of 15% starting this month or next month!

Yeah, it may be more expensive, but do you want a system that can IDENTIFY or observe...nothing worse than your property being violated and your camera got zero usable footage to share with the police.

Since you have mentioned a certain camera brand, I will leave you with this...

This is an example from their marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy any system that you cannot change the shutter speed or control any other parameter. Could this provide anything useful for the police? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1613251115189.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you
Another wonderful response, my friend. I look forward to working with you via the DMs for my specific situation. The one word you used, "prosumers" is sinking in like a rock and makes 100% sense! Thanks!

Hi @ProTapper

If you can grab and include the pdfs from the Lorex Spec sheet links and include them here, that would be useful.

We should have some image captures from the 1/1.8" E891AB cameras from members iirc - so you can search for that.

The challenge is finding people who have both cameras and time to do a back to back review of those.

From the specs - I would recommend avoiding the smaller sensor models if you can afford to find better kits.

Good thing about Costco last I checked was the good return policies - so you can test your kit.

Perhaps pick up one 1/1.8" camera to compare the new models with..

One option always is to pick up a couple good 1/1.8" cameras and augment the kit with those ( i.e. replace the cameras if you have a full kit )

That was the plan @mat200, and I might still do it... But you can see by the thread that @wittaj shared as well as his detailed post, that even that option may not suffice ...

Still looking forward to y'all's input on how the AI and smart home features change if mixing and matching cameras?