Lorex LNB8005 compatible with Blue Iris

daveav

n3wb
Reaction score
they are likely rebranded dahuas and are onvif compatible..but avoid bullets and also avoid 4k cameras if low light performance is important...
Great. Will they work with BI? any further explanation for your second part of your comment?
I guess you know the system that I am talking about from Costco right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Great. Will they work with BI? any further explanation for your second part of your comment?
I guess you know the system that I am talking about from Costco right?
if it does support onvif or rtsp then yes...there are many thread discussing resolution vs low light performance and issues with bullets...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Costco has a good return policy, you should give it a try and see if it works well for you.

Remember there are 2 unused POE ports on the NVR which I would recommend considering the Dahua Starlights for to give you 2 cameras with good night time performance which I would use covering your darker areas at night around your place.

Also note, people are now beginning to flip those kits in whole or in part for a little extra $ - so you may want to check it out sooner if you are on the fence on it.

Last edited:

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am in the middle of returning a Lorex to Lorex, but to better understand the compromises...
The jury is still out on the 8MP 4K units, but reviewing the specs a couple of things stand out. Like most Lorex, they are Dahua rebrands so easy to cross compare stats. First, they are 4K only at 15 fps which can be jagged, where the more useable 25/30 fps it drops to 2K. It does have a large 1/2.5" sensor with minimum low light at 0.2Lux @ f1.6. The 4MP cameras, which I am returning, were 2K (2688x1520) across all framerates, including 25/30. It has the smallest sensor at 1/3" and a slightly darker lens with minimal low light at 0.3 Lux @f2.0. Now by contrast, the 2MP Starlights are 1080p across all framerates and I have had one IPC-HDW5231R-Z running with the 4MP's which the Lorex NVR and other software/apps recognized with no problem. Low light is where really stands out in a couple of ways. It has a sensor in the middle at 1/2.8" on Sony's Exmoor line, and minimum low light is ultra low with 0.009 Lux @f2! The other thing I have noticed on some videos is the evenness of the IR light where the facial features on the 4MP cameras were overexposed washing out features, where the Starlight was correctly exposed.

The way I am setting up a mixture of cameras is the Starlights near points of entry where with the closeness can get good ID without enlargement. Use the 4 (or 8)MP for wider broadcast of area where may have to crop (i.e. digital zoom) to identify features such as license plates.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
15 fps should be fine for most security camera applications, it saves 1/2 the space of a 30fps.

The 4K gives a really good day time detailed picture, and I really like the idea of mixing them with starlights.

daveav

n3wb
Reaction score
15 fps should be fine for most security camera applications, it saves 1/2 the space of a 30fps.

The 4K gives a really good day time detailed picture, and I really like the idea of mixing them with starlights.
Thanks for the videos.
I had bought that Lorex 4k system from Costco when I realized it was at Costco for that price. I have been too busy and haven't been able to have someone install it. Is it worth it to replace 8 3 mps with? I should have bought a Lorex 6-camera system from Costco months ago so I would just have to swap out the cameras. I currently have a Qsee sys. Samsclub wants everything back and no replacement ethernet cables. Lorex is 60 ft vs 100 ft. I ended up buying 8 q-see cables for $60 from ebay and have to unmount the cameras, repackage the Q-see model and ship back.

I've given up on Blue Iris and was told by BI reps to avoid Lorex.. I couldn't even get BI to recognize Q-see (Maybe a security, firewall issues?).
Will any POE cable work? and I do not have to take down the Qsee cables?

Qsee system I bought from Sam's Club was 16 chanel, 8 3mp cameras..I thought I would be able to use Blue Iris and save money by not buying a 6 4mp Lorex system from Costco a few months ago. Qsee image quality is not good. CNV seems like a difference maker with a light fixture as well.

Qsee Image quality is poor on my monitor. seeing finer details i.e. license plates, detailed faces are too low quality. It is not indistinguishable but disappointing. You think this should capture license plate numbers from 30 ft? Maybe compared to my Amcrest PTZ, it makes Qsee look even worse than I believe.

I have a Amcrest ProHD PTZ camera above my front porch. Model #IP2M-850E and the quality, zoom capabilities, focus are fantastic. All I need is to remote view, get quality pictures from a Lorex. My plan other than the obvious, what everyone wants in securing the home, access, walkways to our homes was also to get license plates and faces parked 30 ft away from the mounted camera. 16 cameras is too much and I need at least 7 to cover the access, driveway.

We had a professional electrician who set up cameras for prisons even to install the Q-See.

Could I just do have anyone use a ladder and replace the current cameras with Lorex's?
How do you store, save the storage if not using Blue Iris and the NVR?

Thanks

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Saw a recent purchaser confirm he was able to get the Lorex LNB8005 to work with Blue Iris. I am using a Dahua NVR, note a lot of people here really like Blue Iris.

Lorex, as a brand has carried numerous different types of products - some better some worse - the 6 4k camera kit you picked up is definitely Dahua OEM - which btw Qsee also uses for their 4K line of cameras. As such I believe this kit you picked up at Costco to be a very good deal, leaving you 2 more ports which you can custom select additional cameras.

I calculated that at 25ft with these 4K cameras you will have 100ppf - the spec for ID distance - of course this is during good lighting conditions, and thus positioned correctly you should be able to have enough pixels on target at 30ft to read license plates in the images. ( license plates need less pixels per foot vs facial ID )

I don't know the FOV of your 3MP cameras, if the FOV is similar to the 4K cameras in this kit ( 88 degrees ) you should see a significant jump in the ID distance. ( est for 3MP 88 degrees horizontal FOV = 15 feet for the ID distance at 100ppf - thus the 4K cameras gives you 10 more feet to get a potential ID - fairly significant imho for such a wide angle camera ) Of course if you need to extend your ID distance further you can get a varifocal and reduce the FOV.

If the other cameras are also POE you should be able to reuse the wiring and just unmount the old cameras and install the new ones.

If you have a darker spot around your house you can pick up 1-2 Dahua starlights to cover those and in the end have a fairly nice system imho.

Have Fun setting it up, and remember you can bench test the Lorex kit before unmounting your older cameras so you can see which you like better.

daveav

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Saw a recent purchaser confirm he was able to get the Lorex LNB8005 to work with Blue Iris. I am using a Dahua NVR, note a lot of people here really like Blue Iris.

Lorex, as a brand has carried numerous different types of products - some better some worse - the 6 4k camera kit you picked up is definitely Dahua OEM - which btw Qsee also uses for their 4K line of cameras. As such I believe this kit you picked up at Costco to be a very good deal, leaving you 2 more ports which you can custom select additional cameras.

I calculated that at 25ft with these 4K cameras you will have 100ppf - the spec for ID distance - of course this is during good lighting conditions, and thus positioned correctly you should be able to have enough pixels on target at 30ft to read license plates in the images. ( license plates need less pixels per foot vs facial ID )

I don't know the FOV of your 3MP cameras, if the FOV is similar to the 4K cameras in this kit ( 88 degrees ) you should see a significant jump in the ID distance. ( est for 3MP 88 degrees horizontal FOV = 15 feet for the ID distance at 100ppf - thus the 4K cameras gives you 10 more feet to get a potential ID - fairly significant imho for such a wide angle camera ) Of course if you need to extend your ID distance further you can get a varifocal and reduce the FOV.

If the other cameras are also POE you should be able to reuse the wiring and just unmount the old cameras and install the new ones.

If you have a darker spot around your house you can pick up 1-2 Dahua starlights to cover those and in the end have a fairly nice system imho.

Have Fun setting it up, and remember you can bench test the Lorex kit before unmounting your older cameras so you can see which you like better.
Thanks
Great that others have used this with BI..And 25ft ID distance is slightly short for cars parked on the street I assume (haven't measured) but I can ID plates as they drive up/parked.

This is my Q-See system.
FOV: 65° to 70°

Q-See 16 Channel 3MP HD IP NVR Security System with 2TB Hard Drive, 8 3MP Bullet Cameras, and 100' Night Vision - Sam's Club

Is there one specific model from Dahua Starlights you recommend? There are many from Aliexpress, Ebay. Do i need a US version?

I will read through the SD and other threads here when i have free time.
Question about locally remote NVR functionality

The images on the Lorex look clear.

thanks again

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks
Great that others have used this with BI..And 25ft ID distance is slightly short for cars parked on the street I assume (haven't measured) but I can ID plates as they drive up/parked.

This is my Q-See system.
FOV: 65° to 70°

Q-See 16 Channel 3MP HD IP NVR Security System with 2TB Hard Drive, 8 3MP Bullet Cameras, and 100' Night Vision - Sam's Club

Is there one specific model from Dahua Starlights you recommend? There are many from Aliexpress, Ebay. Do i need a US version?

I will read through the SD and other threads here when i have free time.
Question about locally remote NVR functionality

The images on the Lorex look clear.

thanks again
HI Dave,

The most popular starlight here is the Dahua Varifocal Starlight Turret, it is a very nice product.
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

All of the dahua starlight cameras are good, and picking the ideal one for you will depend on various factors such as what sort of zoom / FOV you need. The above model should cover most of your typical needs.

Note the 4K cameras typically do very well during the day light hours to capture plenty of details needed for ID purposes, during low light conditions the starlight series simply are exceptional for their price points and image quality.

Many of us have purchased the international models of the starlights from Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) and we've been very happy with the results. Those Dahua starlights will work with the 4K lorex kit you picked up at Costco.

Have fun setting it all up.

BTW - here is the calculation for the the Qsee vs Lorex 4K cameras, remember low light and noisy images will reduce the ID distance:

ID spec distance and associated area max covered calculations ( 100ppf+ ):
Qsee 3MP IP Bullet Camera (QTN8037B) 2048x1536 65°-70° ( using 70 degrees ): 16.77 feet { 171.7 sq feet covered }
Lorex LNB8005 / LNB8111B 4K camera 4mm lens 88 degrees: 25.0 feet { 479.7 sq feet covered max }

Last edited:

daveav

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Dave,

The most popular starlight here is the Dahua Varifocal Starlight Turret, it is a very nice product.
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

All of the dahua starlight cameras are good, and picking the ideal one for you will depend on various factors such as what sort of zoom / FOV you need. The above model should cover most of your typical needs.

Note the 4K cameras typically do very well during the day light hours to capture plenty of details needed for ID purposes, during low light conditions the starlight series simply are exceptional for their price points and image quality.

Many of us have purchased the international models of the starlights from Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) and we've been very happy with the results. Those Dahua starlights will work with the 4K lorex kit you picked up at Costco.

Have fun setting it all up.

BTW - here is the calculation for the the Qsee vs Lorex 4K cameras, remember low light and noisy images will reduce the ID distance:

ID spec distance and associated area max covered calculations ( 100ppf+ ):
Qsee 3MP IP Bullet Camera (QTN8037B) 2048x1536 65°-70° ( using 70 degrees ): 16.77 feet { 171.7 sq feet covered }
Lorex LNB8005 / LNB8111B 4K camera 4mm lens 88 degrees: 25.0 feet { 479.7 sq feet covered max }
thank you for calculating the coverage, will contact the user and see what he/she charges.

This is getting expensive to set this system up and makes it seem like i have a lot to protect or valuables. Do you ever get questions, from neighbors and different looks/behavior for having these cameras set up at a residential? Work is stationed from home but we are simply protecting our home.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thank you for calculating the coverage, will contact the user and see what he/she charges.

This is getting expensive to set this system up and makes it seem like i have a lot to protect or valuables. Do you ever get questions, from neighbors and different looks/behavior for having these cameras set up at a residential? Work is stationed from home but we are simply protecting our home.
Hi Dave, Thanks, we're all here happy to help out.

I try to do as much as I can by myself to help keep the costs down.

Questions to ask yourself:
If someone steals your packages at your front door, breaks into your house, vandalizes your garage, smashes your windows, WILL the neighbors help you out and do anything?
So why should we let them have the power to stop us from protecting our loved ones and our safety as well as property?

When installing your cameras, respect your neighbors privacy and make certain your cameras can not clearly see in their back yards, or into their houses.
If they ask, let them know that you're only focus is your property and that you wish to respect their privacy while doing so.

Have fun with the project, and remember if the cameras deter just ONE person it is worth it. IF you can give police a good image of a package thief is it worth it.

daveav

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Dave, Thanks, we're all here happy to help out.

I try to do as much as I can by myself to help keep the costs down.

Questions to ask yourself:
If someone steals your packages at your front door, breaks into your house, vandalizes your garage, smashes your windows, WILL the neighbors help you out and do anything?
So why should we let them have the power to stop us from protecting our loved ones and our safety as well as property?

When installing your cameras, respect your neighbors privacy and make certain your cameras can not clearly see in their back yards, or into their houses.
If they ask, let them know that you're only focus is your property and that you wish to respect their privacy while doing so.

Have fun with the project, and remember if the cameras deter just ONE person it is worth it. IF you can give police a good image of a package thief is it worth it.
lol, likely not. I don't film anything but the vincinity of the house but the walkways/sideways may count as public property (?). Just trying to be friendly with them as I don't know them. we just moved here so did not want first impressions to scare them or think i am hiding something. We run a small business.
my location or dad's home is unique, it is a corner lot but next to a mexican bakery, Subway's, Walgreens, tacqueria and mechanic shop.
The PTZ camera point partly to the driveway but extends past to the bakery and mechanics even.
How do you store you videos and do you use BI?

Last edited: