Lorex N842-set number of days of recordings to keep?

Terranq

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a client that has a Lorex N842 system. They wanted to have minimum 60 days of recordings, so I upgraded the hard drive to a 6 TB WD purple and lowered the recording resolution to 720p on each camera. This should (according to the recording estimator in the storage menu) give them about 89 days of recordings before it begins overwriting. But all they can pull up is 30 days.
How do I make it so they can view at least 60 days of recordings?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a client that has a Lorex N842 system. They wanted to have minimum 60 days of recordings, so I upgraded the hard drive to a 6 TB WD purple and lowered the recording resolution to 720p on each camera. This should (according to the recording estimator in the storage menu) give them about 89 days of recordings before it begins overwriting. But all they can pull up is 30 days.

FYI - adding more info.. Lorex N842 system

1666492956137.png

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember the resolution does not dictate the storage used. Its the bitrate.

Terranq

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 6 TB drive. And the playback option shows exactly 30 days, when it's own estimation shows I should have 89.

Are you certain that this isn't a software limitation of some sort that it only shows 30 days of playback?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 6 TB drive. And the playback option shows exactly 30 days, when it's own estimation shows I should have 89.

Are you certain that this isn't a software limitation of some sort that it only shows 30 days of playback?
Have you looked at all the settings available in the NVR?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @Terranq

Did you get any results from Lorex support on this?

It could be a firmware issue ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, I haven't gotten an answer from anybody, unfortunately. I did check the firmware and it's up to date.
Quick look at the manual, and it states in one location it can handle a 10TB HDD, in another section a 6TB HDD ..

( looks like @Flintstone61 found the key section .. remember also to set the recording to overwrite .. )

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
if the thing has only been online for a month or so, it's not gonna have 89 days of video compiled yet....how long has the 6TB drive been running?

Terranq

n3wb
Reaction score
if the thing has only been online for a month or so, it's not gonna have 89 days of video compiled yet....how long has the 6TB drive been running?

You might have to enable the " Stupid owner" check box under Maintenance tab.
The 6 TB drive has been present since June 30th.

Oh, and very helpful.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"Yes, as I stated in my opening post, it says I have 89 days of recording space "
"The 6 TB drive has been present since June 30th "

hmmm .. @Terranq

what else can it be ??

Terranq

n3wb
Reaction score
"Yes, as I stated in my opening post, it says I have 89 days of recording space "
"The 6 TB drive has been present since June 30th "

hmmm .. @Terranq

what else can it be ??
If you're being sarcastic, I'm not amused.

If you're not, sorry, reading @Flintstone61 comments first thing this morning put me in a sour mood.

Bit rate is at 768 (lowered it to 500 this morning to see if that makes a difference). Storage estimator now says 100 days instead of 89. So why only 30 days available if you look at past recordings? Is it a software limitation? But I don't see anything in the documentation to indicate that.

Despite what some people on here seem to think, I'm not a complete moron and covered all the basic steps. I'm wondering if there's a limitation I'm not aware of, or if there is a weirdly placed/labelled setting that I need to tweak/enable to get more that 30 days of recordings stored.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a screen on that NVR that shows status of HDD - like can you see if it is full and is writing over or half used?