Lorex?

Varun12

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Am new to this forum and cctv systems, looking for some advice ...

Which of the below would you recommend or any other package you may suggest? I've got a budget of £400, looking for 8 cams ideally.

1) Costco: Swann DVR8-4980 8 Channel Digital Video Recorder with 4 x 5MP PRO-5MPMSB PIR Cameras - £360
Swann DVR8-4980 8 Channel Digital Video Recorder with 4 x 5MP PRO-5MPMSB PIR Cameras

2) Reolink direct - RLK8-410B4 8 channel 4MP PoE - £340
Reolink RLK8-410B4 - 8 Channels 4 Cameras PoE System

3) Maplin - lorex LHA21162TC8P - £288
HD Security Camera System with 1080p Bullet Cameras & Lorex Secure Connectivity

4) Maplin - lorex LHA42162TC8P - £422
4MP Super HD 16 Channel, 8 Camera Security System

Thanks Guys.

Varun12

n3wb
Reaction score
avoid reolink like the plague...start reading the forum...there are much better option than all those...
Thank you, am guessing Hikvision is somewhere at the top of your list - only problem is that the only decent prices are from AliExpress and that takes for ever to be delivered.
I read on here that some Lorex are rebranded Dahuas, and Dahua is meant to be good?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, am guessing Hikvision is somewhere at the top of your list - only problem is that the only decent prices are from AliExpress and that takes for ever to be delivered.
I read on here that some Lorex are rebranded Dahuas, and Dahua is meant to be good?
dahua is good...and has some better option than hikvision...start reading.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Varun12, on the blue bar at the top of the site, click in Wiki, then look at the bottom for the link to the Cliff Notes document. It's a summary of the brand/models of cameras most folks here are using, where to get from, etc.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Am new to this forum and cctv systems, looking for some advice ...

Thanks Guys.
Welcome Varun12,

Definitely avoid the Reolink, numerous members have tried it and found it to not be as good of a value as they were hoping for.

Aristobrat has an excellent recommendation, do take some time to determine your needs and take a look at the notes
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Chances are those systems you noted may not fully meet your needs, so if you're not in a rush take a little time to determine what will work best for you.

Varun12

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome Varun12,

Definitely avoid the Reolink, numerous members have tried it and found it to not be as good of a value as they were hoping for.

Aristobrat has an excellent recommendation, do take some time to determine your needs and take a look at the notes
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Chances are those systems you noted may not fully meet your needs, so if you're not in a rush take a little time to determine what will work best for you.
Tbh, I am sort of in a rush. Am flying in a week and have limited time to take up some of the deals in op. That's why I posted on here.
But I appreciate the links. Checking them out now.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tbh, I am sort of in a rush. Am flying in a week and have limited time to take up some of the deals in op. That's why I posted on here.
But I appreciate the links. Checking them out now.
Do you think you actually would have time to install them? I would think you'd be better off waiting until you return to complete this.

Varun12

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you think you actually would have time to install them? I would think you'd be better off waiting until you return to complete this.
Am not buying the system for myself but to take with me to the country that am flying to. It was requested by someone over there.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ugh, you're in a no-win situation. If you're limited to the choices in your first post, I'd think either the Lorex or Swann would be more stable/supported than Reolink. Stinks you don’t have time to research and order better stuff, but no real way to do that in a week.