Lost a BI hard drive

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pretty bummed it only lasted three years. With all the computers that I've had this one had the shortest life.
When I built my BI machine I put in one of those Seagate Skyhawk surveillance hard drives. I guess with cameras the wear and tear is that significant?. The one headache this did cause was my BI became unusable. Instead of restarting the PC and loading the OS Windows 10 wanted to repair it. I have this PC set up headless and couldn't connect or view any recordings for a couple days.

In all fairness I was itching to upgrade to get more capacity so I didn't lose any sleep over it. I ended up going with WD purple drive this time.

What kind of life span have you seen out of your BI hard drives?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
WD purple 6TB >>> 3.25 years

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty bummed it only lasted three years. With all the computers that I've had this one had the shortest life.
When I built my BI machine I put in one of those Seagate Skyhawk surveillance hard drives. I guess with cameras the wear and tear is that significant?. The one headache this did cause was my BI became unusable. Instead of restarting the PC and loading the OS Windows 10 wanted to repair it. I have this PC set up headless and couldn't connect or view any recordings for a couple days.

In all fairness I was itching to upgrade to get more capacity so I didn't lose any sleep over it. I ended up going with WD purple drive this time.

I have had great luck with HGST drives, not one failure, and lately with Toshiba Enterprise drives. I have them both in my BI PC and my QNAP NAS. I was told by QNAP and Drobo Techs, the Toshiba NAS drives are good too.

Maxtor Drives were my go to in the past. I have about a dozen dead Seagate drives. There was a time, over a decade ago, that Seagate was good but you are lucky now a days to get 3-4 years out of them.

I have WD drives still running that are over 10 years old...I think two are Black Drives...Got sick of losing Data from the Seagates so spent more money for the Blacks but they lasted like my Maxtors back in the day...I think I still have a few Maxtors that still run, they are under a TB though.

Five 4TB HGST (Still running from 2015) 3 in BI PC, 2 in Son's PCs (Originally in Drobo 5N)
1692969154470.png
Five 8TB HGST (Still running from 2017) In Drobo 5N
1692969557536.png
Six 16TB Toshiba Enterprise in TS-x73A QNAP NAS
1692969661053.png

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

As with every hard drive this is simply the luck of the draw... I have drives that have been in systems for 10 years.... Almost all of them are the original OEM drives that came with the system and I added an SSD for the OS.... I have a few purples in service for 4 years with no issues....
Thousands of hard drives fail every single year that are used in home systems that get very little use...

You should be using an SSD for the OS blue iris and database.... Aside from significant performance benefits, if your stories drive ever fails you just simply swap it out...

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As with every hard drive this is simply the luck of the draw... I have drives that have been in systems for 10 years.... Almost all of them are the original OEM drives that came with the system and I added an SSD for the OS.... I have a few purples in service for 4 years with no issues....
Thousands of hard drives fail every single year that are used in home systems that get very little use...

You should be using an SSD for the OS blue iris and database.... Aside from significant performance benefits, if your stories drive ever fails you just simply swap it out...
yeah the OS on my BI machine is on a ssd. I do that with all my computers now.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To add, I am big on UPS's, they have helped save many Electronics over the years.

Also heat is always a factor on longevity, IMO I make sure I have plenty of air flow in my cases...

1692977634683.png

With a NAS, they are small cases, I try to make sure they are placed in an open area with plenty of cool air...

I use Samsung Magician for my SSDs, that can get real hot, it also gives info on HDDs...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a bit of crapshoot......my experience with drives had me starting out buying Maxtor, and Western Digital, then Hitachi Deskstars, then Seagate, and now I prefer WD, after 28 years of Personal computers.....and Samsung SSD's are good,

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As mentioned already, OS and software on a solid state drive, video on spinning disks, important data backed up elsewhere.

I've got my OS/apps on an SSD, media on a RAID 1 array, and BI recordings on a single spinning disk.

Priority

n3wb
Reaction score
I realize this is thread is a bit stale, but rather than start yet another thread on HDD failures...in my case, just experienced an intermittent HDD failure....

Just after the new year, my BI server stopped responding. Ultimately did a power cycle to get it back running. Worked fine for a few days, then froze again (no remote access from app). Attached a monitor to the BI machine. BI was running, but was showing an error about one of the video storage drives. Tried rebooting and the BI machine shut down, but did not boot--it never even showed the BIOS splash screen. Next day machine booted up and BI was back up and running for a few hours before becoming non-responsive again.

Tested and ran diagnostics on each hard drive in a different machine. All drives tested good with no SMART errors. Put BI machine back together and it would not boot. Argh. At least the failure happened every time now. Finally managed to replicate the failure of the trouble drive on another machine. A 4 year old WD Purple 4TB would occasionally reset, Windows would remove the drive, HDD would successfully restart, and Windows would add drive back. Only place I could find a error logged was a Warning in the Windows Event Viewer "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR8 during a paging operation."

Replaced the drive and system is stable.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I realize this is thread is a bit stale, but rather than start yet another thread on HDD failures...in my case, just experienced an intermittent HDD failure....

Just after the new year, my BI server stopped responding. Ultimately did a power cycle to get it back running. Worked fine for a few days, then froze again (no remote access from app). Attached a monitor to the BI machine. BI was running, but was showing an error about one of the video storage drives. Tried rebooting and the BI machine shut down, but did not boot--it never even showed the BIOS splash screen. Next day machine booted up and BI was back up and running for a few hours before becoming non-responsive again.

Tested and ran diagnostics on each hard drive in a different machine. All drives tested good with no SMART errors. Put BI machine back together and it would not boot. Argh. At least the failure happened every time now. Finally managed to replicate the failure of the trouble drive on another machine. A 4 year old WD Purple 4TB would occasionally reset, Windows would remove the drive, HDD would successfully restart, and Windows would add drive back. Only place I could find a error logged was a Warning in the Windows Event Viewer "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR8 during a paging operation."

Replaced the drive and system is stable.
Yeah, apparently as they go out you start to see inconsistent weirdness. They don't go out completely just enough to make you think it's haunted; makes it hard to diagnose.

Priority

n3wb
Reaction score
Was there a page file configured on the drive? I keep my page file only on the main boot HDD.
Nope. I have OS/BI/BI-database on a NVME and that is where the paging file is as well. The only use of the failing HDD was video storage.

I hadn't thought about the wording of the error until reading your comment; I just noted the time stamps coincided with the HDD dropping and returning & assumed the error was related to my issue. Strange.