Lost and confused

Reaction score
Someone please straighten me out. I had openvpn installed on my router, pc, and iphone X. Finally got things running! Then figured why not use Nordvpn. Could not get it to run. I now have openvpn running again. Is it worth it? I have an open port, wright? This has been for the blue iris app iphone.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone please straighten me out. I had openvpn installed on my router, pc, and iphone X. Finally got things running! Then figured why not use Nordvpn. Could not get it to run. I now have openvpn running again. Is it worth it? I have an open port, wright? This has been for the blue iris app iphone.

Thanks
You don't want nordvpn it's useless and will prevent you from using openvpn...if you have a port forwarded on your router you are not using openvpn

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nordvpn is the wrong type of vpn, shouldnt being opening ports at all.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Need more detail on your exact configuration.
1) router brand and model ?
2) does the router have openvpn installed and operational ?
3) do you have the openvpn client installed on your Iphone ?

From the iphone at home use your wifi network how do you connect to BI ?
With openvpn connected via the cell network or a different wifi network that is the exact way you connect no difference, same IP

Reaction score
I have a Nighthawk X10 R9000 router, openvpn is enabled. I believe it's operational. I have openvpn installed on my iphone, it is running and I am on the cell network.
The port is open as per the Bi remote access setup.

Thanks for the reply's

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Nighthawk X10 R9000 router, openvpn is enabled. I believe it's operational. I have openvpn installed on my iphone, it is running and I am on the cell network.
The port is open as per the Bi remote access setup.

Thanks for the reply's
If a port is open you have circumvented open VPN ... close the port and start over

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there some wiki or something to help? I just disabled the port..lost connection with blue iris iso iphone x . I have followed the setup in Bi. It said to open the port, even shows you how to see if it's open.

Lost and confused
Of course it won't work. You don't have open VPN set up correctly.
See VPN primer for noobs thread

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you follow my directions?

You do not understand VPN. When you connect via open VPN you are on your home network. No ports open. Only use local IP addresses.

Who is the ddns provider ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I definitely don't understand VPN. DDNS is No-Ip. I am having two vpn problems, I'll have to focus on one. I can't get my Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 setup correctly for vpn, and can't get BI setup wright.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I definitely don't understand VPN. DDNS is No-Ip. I am having two vpn problems, I'll have to focus on one. I can't get my Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 setup correctly for vpn, and can't get BI setup wright.
You are wasting your time. Start reading the threads you were directed to. You don't have 2 VPN problems. You have one problem. You are not taking the advice given to you.

Reaction score
Thanks much for your time! I finally got it running on the router, just before the last post. I'll keep hitting on it! Iphone connected local, can't connect cell. I can always back to amcrest P2P

thanks again

Dauv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only time you do NOT have to have port 1194 opened/forwarded is if the OpenVPN server resides on your internet facing router. If you are using the (2nd router) VPN server behind your primary modem/router/gateway, then you will definitely have to have port 1194 forwarded on the primary router to the VPN enabled router.