Lost contact from app to server

Diver4242

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running the latest version of blue iris on my windows 10 laptop, and v2.0.34 of the app on my samsung android phone. It was all working great, until recently. When the camera is tripped, I get the texts from blue iris, so that part is OK. But when I try to use the app, I get "Unable to connect. Please try again. Reason: Unable to reach server." I double checked that my IP address doesn't work, canyouseeme.org reports the IP/port are visible, redid the port forwarding/remote access wizard in BI, checked the userid/password are correct, even turned off windows firewall briefly to eliminate that possibility. What else can I check? It would be great if the app would give something more specific than "Unable to reach server." It doesn't work from my LAN (local network) or remote (WAN).
Update: now it seems to work fine via WAN, but not when I have my phone wifi turned on (LAN/local network).

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running the latest version of blue iris on my windows 10 laptop, and v2.0.34 of the app on my samsung android phone. It was all working great, until recently. When the camera is tripped, I get the texts from blue iris, so that part is OK. But when I try to use the app, I get "Unable to connect. Please try again. Reason: Unable to reach server." I double checked that my IP address doesn't work, canyouseeme.org reports the IP/port are visible, redid the port forwarding/remote access wizard in BI, checked the userid/password are correct, even turned off windows firewall briefly to eliminate that possibility. What else can I check? It would be great if the app would give something more specific than "Unable to reach server." It doesn't work from my LAN (local network) or remote (WAN).
Update: now it seems to work fine via WAN, but not when I have my phone wifi turned on (LAN/local network).
Are you using a modem router combo? if so did you enter the local LAN ip into the blue iris app?

Diver4242

n3wb
Reaction score
I do have a Netgear C6300 modem router combo, and re-checked the local (LAN 192.168.x.x) IP for the laptop running blue iris and made sure that the BI app uses that, both are correct. Works on WAN, but not on LAN. Thanks for your help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do have a Netgear C6300 modem router combo, and re-checked the local (LAN 192.168.x.x) IP for the laptop running blue iris and made sure that the BI app uses that, both are correct. Works on WAN, but not on LAN. Thanks for your help.
Triple check it, with port..

hmb

n3wb
Reaction score
I run into this same problem on rare occasion. With your phone connected to your WiFi network, try accessing your Blue Iris web server at its local IP address from your phone's web browser. Likely it won't be able to establish a connection either. If so, try restarting your Netgear modem/router.

Diver4242

n3wb
Reaction score
Still having this problem, it's driving me nuts. Checked and double checked everything, now I can't connect from LAN or WAN. No IP addresses changed for LAN or WAN. I can't be rebooting my cable modem all the time to get this working. Is there any kind of troubleshooting log I can check on the Blue Iris app or on the server side to figure out why connecting from the app to the server is so sporadic?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Still having this problem, it's driving me nuts. Checked and double checked everything, now I can't connect from LAN or WAN. No IP addresses changed for LAN or WAN. I can't be rebooting my cable modem all the time to get this working. Is there any kind of troubleshooting log I can check on the Blue Iris app or on the server side to figure out why connecting from the app to the server is so sporadic?
Check the pc firewall.

Diver4242

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried it with the PC firewall and antivirus off, still no dice. I think I'll go back through the wizard thing again. UPDATE: OK, did that, and it looks like the uPnP rule for port 81 was removed somehow from the router config. That part of the wizard is a bit confusing, you have to remember to hit the button on the bottom that says "Add Blue Iris" and then it works. Not sure how it went away! LAN still doesn't work, but I can get along without that, since it's mostly remote start/stop that I need.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried it with the PC firewall and antivirus off, still no dice. I think I'll go back through the wizard thing again. UPDATE: OK, did that, and it looks like the uPnP rule for port 81 was removed somehow from the router config. That part of the wizard is a bit confusing, you have to remember to hit the button on the bottom that says "Add Blue Iris" and then it works. Not sure how it went away! LAN still doesn't work, but I can get along without that, since it's mostly remote start/stop that I need.
If lan doesnt work then you are entering something incorrectly or did not properly allow it through the firewall.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try entering the remote IP for both the local and remote servers. The local used to work but within the last year I had to change them both to the remote otherwise it won't connect to either.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Try entering the remote IP for both the local and remote servers. The local used to work but within the last year I had to change them both to the remote otherwise it won't connect to either.
Do you have the correct local address? Check the firewall as well.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you ever get this resolved? I just started having this problem with a brand new system. Was working fine for a week and now it usually fails to connect on WiFi but works fine on LTE. All software is latest version

BI 4.4.5.2
Windows 10
i7-6700
iPhone 6s

bignose2

n3wb
Reaction score
Same problem here, as of today, 4th Oct 16. Last night BI did an update but also I think Windows 10 so not sure which.
Won't connect on LAN via windows 10 PC or android devices.
Can't easily check WAN as have to drive out.

Network fine restarted routers etc anyway but can access PC all over my network fine & the camera's direct also.

I have 2 BI PC servers, on the same lan (With different ports) both the same problem but both Win 10 PC's.

Tried BI as a service & direct.

isbrodie1

n3wb
Reaction score
Same problem here, as of today, 4th Oct 16. Last night BI did an update but also I think Windows 10 so not sure which.
Won't connect on LAN via windows 10 PC or android devices.
Can't easily check WAN as have to drive out.

Network fine restarted routers etc anyway but can access PC all over my network fine & the camera's direct also.

I have 2 BI PC servers, on the same lan (With different ports) both the same problem but both Win 10 PC's.

Tried BI as a service & direct.
I'm having the exact same issue, the lastest update to BlueIris stuffed something up with the app connection on Android.
Really hope this is resolved soon as I can't access my cameras

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad to hear its not just me. I spent a few hours last night trying to solve the issue but it sounds like its related to a Windows 10 update or the recent BI update. Does the developer monitor these forums or should we contact them directly to make them aware?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to email support... check firewalls

djstev1e

n3wb
Reaction score
Ditto! Issue after recent BI update. Lesson learned, don't apply updates when working. Issue on both my Android (phone) and iOS (phone, ipad). Bi client app connection only works when I'm on my mobile network (4g). No issues using web front end.

bignose2

n3wb
Reaction score
I had reply from BI support, said they are working on it.

Just looked and already have an update that seems to have fixed the problem, I can remote locally fine on PC's & Android.

Have to say that is very impressive, I know it should not have failed in the first place (& in quite a big way) but all software I have ever come gets bugs with some updates and this is First for me & BI.
And it all usually goes so well, never a hint of a problem so can easily forgive this especially the speed at it was fixed.

Just such good software all round, it is a pleasure to use and it is a demanding platform I would think.