Lost Signal After Whole House Fan Install

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok,

So time to go back to the basics:

Test with a known working port in the switch. ( remove other camera when doing this, to reduce the power load on the switch )
Test with a known working cable.

I've had switches go out - in unpredictable ways. ( smart green switch really did die in odd ways... power cycling brought it back to life... for awhile, then ports went off line randomly ).
I've had switch ports die.
cables die.
ethernet ports on PCs/ hosts die... rebooting helped sometimes, sometimes it was hardware.

others have seen rodents eat cables..

I've seen contractors cut cables... stuff them back pretending they're ok.

Numerous odd things do happen, so isolate it as best as possible ( another big reason why I always recomend N+1 cable pulls .. )

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Given what you just said about the switch and plugging in a camera, locally, to one of the ports, it does look more like the switch has bit the bullet for some reason. I seriously doubt you have a spare PoE switch hanging around, but if you run a known good cable to a known good camera and get zero results then the switch is the most likely culprit. Like mat says, try rebooting the switch, it might have "lost its' mind". If it's a managed switch, log in and see what those ports show.

Coolio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’ve only had the switch for 2 months. I’ll call BV tomorrow.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the wires weren't cut they could have simply been stepped on. Damaging the wires without cutting / obviously damaging the outer jacket.

Download the utilities for your NIC, there's often a cable test in there that can identify the distance to a fault.

Coolio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I pulled one of my cameras down and wired it directly into the switch via a different cat5e cable. The switch will still not power the camera. I’m thinking my switch has crapped out. All it can do is non-powered networking.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just moving your PC to one of the ports was not a real test because the PC does not need POE. Sound like the switch is bad.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reading thru this thread it does seem like a bad switch. I hope you can get this squared away.

Where did you buy the switch? Amazon or directly from BV?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Great thought, Yankee. Something probably happened when the whole house fan or insulation were done. It still seems very, very coincidental to me that the failure happened at, basically, the same time.

If you don't mind me asking, what model BV switch are you using, Coolio?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Good news, Coolio. Crawling around in an attic, pulling cables, isn't much fun this time of year!