Low FPS Issue - 28 Camera Demo Setup.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm running a demo of BlueIris right now to see if it will work for our application. I was wondering if the demo version has any FPS limitations with multiple cameras?

The cameras are all Hikvision ds-2cd2132-i. Everything is wired in all POE.

I'm trying to run all the cameras at 10FPS but I seem to be struggling to get more than 2-3FPS once I have all the cameras running. The video is also very choppy in the recordings and pixelated, probably due to the FPS issue.

I don't believe the computer is the issue as I don't seem to be going over 65% CPU Power when recording.
The specs are:
Core I7 3770
8GB Ram
Direct 2 Disk Enabled
Hardware Acceleration enabled

So far I've tried the following
Lowering the Bitrate to 2048Kbps
Changing the Iframe interval to match the FPS of 10
Changing BlueIris to having the max frame rate as 12fps.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm running a demo of BlueIris right now to see if it will work for our application. I was wondering if the demo version has any FPS limitations with multiple cameras?

The cameras are all Hikvision ds-2cd2132-i. Everything is wired in all POE.

I'm trying to run all the cameras at 10FPS but I seem to be struggling to get more than 2-3FPS once I have all the cameras running. The video is also very choppy in the recordings and pixelated, probably due to the FPS issue.

I don't believe the computer is the issue as I don't seem to be going over 65% CPU Power when recording.
The specs are:
Core I7 3770
8GB Ram
Direct 2 Disk Enabled
Hardware Acceleration enabled

So far I've tried the following
Lowering the Bitrate to 2048Kbps
Changing the Iframe interval to match the FPS of 10
Changing BlueIris to having the max frame rate as 12fps.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
This is directly related to the demo..direct to disk does not work in demo mode..there are several threads with the exact same issue that is resolved when entering the license key..

Frank Ecker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't get why marketing would put out a demo product that is performance crippled. Not really what I would normally think you want to have out there as your calling card. But that decision isn't really anything we have control over.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't get why marketing would put out a demo product that is performance crippled. Not really what I would normally think you want to have out there as your calling card. But that decision isn't really anything we have control over.
There is no "marketing"...blue iris is developed by a single person....
most likely because folks would reset the demo and keep using it for free...yes there are many cheapo thieves..with direct to disk the software cannot leave a watermark..

Frank Ecker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no "marketing"...blue iris is developed by a single person....
most likely because folks would reset the demo and keep using it for free...yes there are many cheapo thieves..with direct to disk the software cannot leave a watermark..
Engineer led company explains it. Market research I just saw related to video services shows that serial trialing is actually a very small percentage of users. Don't have the link handy. This decision seems to me to be preventing users from being able to appreciate and comprehend the full value of the product just to prevent a minimal likelihood of a bad actor. How many paying customers are lost due to crippled performance of the product and don't realize that the terrible performance they are seeing is by design. For every person you inform/correct on this forum, how many do you think just give up and don't purchase?

Really don't need to get into hit here because I don't have skin in the game. Just bringing an alternative view.

Edit - found the quote - Not exactly apples to apples but in the same ballpark About A Third of Free OTT Trials Convert to Paid: Study | Multichannel
“Free OTT trials are effective in converting a sizeable portion of trial users into subscribers,” Glenn Hower, senior analyst at Parks Associates, said, in a statement. “There is a potential for free trial abuse, but only roughly 1% of consumers are ‘serial trialers’ who abuse free trials to avoid paying for services. Most consumers use trials for their intended purpose of trying out a service before deciding whether or not to continue as a paid subscriber.”

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Engineer led company explains it. Market research I just saw related to video services shows that serial trialing is actually a very small percentage of users. Don't have the link handy. This decision seems to me to be preventing users from being able to appreciate and comprehend the full value of the product just to prevent a minimal likelihood of a bad actor. How many paying customers are lost due to crippled performance of the product and don't realize that the terrible performance they are seeing is by design. For every person you inform/correct on this forum, how many do you think just give up and don't purchase?

Really don't need to get into hit here because I don't have skin in the game. Just bringing an alternative view.

Edit - found the quote - Not exactly apples to apples but in the same ballpark About A Third of Free OTT Trials Convert to Paid: Study | Multichannel
“Free OTT trials are effective in converting a sizeable portion of trial users into subscribers,” Glenn Hower, senior analyst at Parks Associates, said, in a statement. “There is a potential for free trial abuse, but only roughly 1% of consumers are ‘serial trialers’ who abuse free trials to avoid paying for services. Most consumers use trials for their intended purpose of trying out a service before deciding whether or not to continue as a paid subscriber.”
He knows what he's doing.....this is not his first rodeo...

Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman; that fixed the issue. Do note that I actually e-mailed Blue Iris support about whether direct to disk works properly on the demo version after seeing some older forum posts like you mentioned. Blue Iris told me the demo version is complete and there are no limitations.

I think it would be helpful if they're a bit more clear about this issue on their trial download page.

Reaction score
On another note; is it normal for BlueIris to be using 6,000MB of RAM for 22 cameras running or is it possibly a memory leak?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman; that fixed the issue. Do note that I actually e-mailed Blue Iris support about whether direct to disk works properly on the demo version after seeing some older forum posts like you mentioned. Blue Iris told me the demo version is complete and there are no limitations.

I think it would be helpful if they're a bit more clear about this issue on their trial download page.
Yeah he told me that as well...you should reply and let him know....

Reaction score
Yeah he told me that as well...you should reply and let him know....
I e-mailed them to let them know the problem was solved once the full key was entered.

It's likely normal..with a leak you would see a constant increase followed by crashing...
Thank you; I'll pop in another 8gb of ram.

Thank you again for all of the help; so far Blue Iris seems like a great system with excellent value.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Around 60% on average but only 22 cameras are running right now; it spikes up to closer to 90% if I open the Blue Iris console to playback video. The memory is completely saturated at 96%. I'll report back tomorrow if I have a chance to pop in some more RAM and let you know the results.

Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Around 60% on average but only 22 cameras are running right now; it spikes up to closer to 90% if I open the Blue Iris console to playback video. The memory is completely saturated at 96%. I'll report back tomorrow if I have a chance to pop in some more RAM and let you know the results.

Thank you.
Yeah, ill bet youll see a huge drop in cpu...

Reaction score
I added the RAM in and saw a small drop in CPU processing and it made a large difference in the stability of Blue Iris.
I saw in some of your other postings that RDP results in a large CPU spike so I added in a time delay in the settings and I'm down to around 55% CPU processing.

I also wonder if adding a video card instead of onboard graphics will reduce the cpu spike when I open the console with RDP.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I added the RAM in and saw a small drop in CPU processing and it made a large difference in the stability of Blue Iris.
I saw in some of your other postings that RDP results in a large CPU spike so I added in a time delay in the settings and I'm down to around 55% CPU processing.

I also wonder if adding a video card instead of onboard graphics will reduce the cpu spike when I open the console with RDP.
No it will go up..you need to use quicksync...your numbers are likely much lower, rdp or any remote login uses lots of cycles...try checking the cpu consumption using the BI app while not logged via rdp...

Reaction score
I'll check it out in a few weeks since our server room is in the process of being reorganized. I ran in to an interesting issue to day where recorded video completely disappeared. The video is just from this morning and I can't seem to figure out why. Any idea what could cause this? I checked the Stored folder to see if it's in there but no such luck.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll check it out in a few weeks since our server room is in the process of being reorganized. I ran in to an interesting issue to day where recorded video completely disappeared. The video is just from this morning and I can't seem to figure out why. Any idea what could cause this? I checked the Stored folder to see if it's in there but no such luck.
what are your storage allocation settings