LPR in a state with no front plates

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
My state doesnt do front plates. So from my posted pics how would I get a LPR to work in this situation if possible at all?

Attachments

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very doable using BlueIris with the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E cam, just need to fine tune it. You could set up zones so that it only triggers when a car is exiting the circle.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Very doable using BlueIris with the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E cam, just need to fine tune it. You could set up zones so that it only triggers when a car is exiting the circle.
Thanks.. it's on my to do list haha

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a very doable situation. and an almost ideal situation. Would be nice if they had front plates, but that is an easy workaround in BI

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Realize that a camera for LPR should not have multiple duties. You will find that to get good LPR, once you have it set, you will not want to change it and then try and get it back for LPR.
True. I still want the 49225xa tho haha

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Loryta is the newer version with some AI features like heat map.

But yeah you want a dedicated camera for LPR.

@djernie has a PTZ for LPR and he said he is looking to get a dedicated one. Now you don't have as much traffic as he does, so you might be able to get away with it at your location, just keep in mind at night it could be a little problematic with focus issues, but for an occasional look around during the day or something but be 99% LPR, it could work.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
is that your only possible location for an LPR cam? if so, then yes, you'll only get them on the way out...

then again, if you put something on that pole to the left of the circle entrance in your shots, or even further down the street, you could get 'em coming as well...

As for tuning BI to send the right shot to an external LPR processor, that's quite hit-or-miss still, afiac...

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Obviously but how ? Doesnt it grab plate on first trigger?
If you can use OpenALPR aka Watchman, it would attempt to read the plate in every frame that it can, then report the most confident reading from the group. It would work well in your location if you deem it worth $5/month and some CPU power. The 49225xa is an option, I set up a buddy with LPR on one of those a couple weeks ago. I set it to semi-auto focus in daytime and Manual focus for nighttime, and naturally I had to dial in a bunch of settings. Dialing down the iris to prevent "bloom" and tweaking the Chroma Sharpness to soften out noise at night were a couple of the key settings for the night mode.