LPR - Night time

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can get it without adding extra then all the better. The issue with plates is they reflect back to the source, so yes external will work best if right next to it.

Someone did a test here and it didn't take being offset too much before the plates were not visible to the camera.

I suspect the smooth stream is another noise reduction type feature, so you would have to see if the default or lower works better.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can get it without adding extra then all the better. The issue with plates is they reflect back to the source, so yes external will work best if right next to it.

Someone did a test here and it didn't take being offset too much before the plates were not visible to the camera.

I suspect the smooth stream is another noise reduction type feature, so you would have to see if the default or lower works better.
If I have a Speed Limit sign that is getting lit up by IR, do you think rotating it a little would help with the bounce back at my PTZ? The culprit is likely my LPR.

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've created another thread for the next piece of this puzzle that I'm trying to figure out... which AI Plate Recognizer for ALPR is best... I've included a bunch of captured images and zone setup's and since it's more or less a new topic, I figured it would be best to start a new thread... but I would LOVE your guys input (because you've been VERY helpful thus far) - if you have some time to help again... New thread is at: LPR Software

Thanks!

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Still tweaking my new Z12. Not using any alpr ai, just reviewing flagged alerts. One big issue I've come across is at night it constantly loses connection to BI. Basically, doesn't work at night. I've tried lowing the bit rate, turning off ir, lowering my other camera's bit rate, still nothing. Come morning, no problems, with 0 disconnects all day. My dahua nvr shows constant connection and recording though. Seems like when the camera goes to total black screen is when the disconnects happen, 500+.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Still tweaking my new Z12. Not using any alpr ai, just reviewing flagged alerts. One big issue I've come across is at night it constantly loses connection to BI. Basically, doesn't work at night. I've tried lowing the bit rate, turning off ir, lowering my other camera's bit rate, still nothing. Come morning, no problems, with 0 disconnects all day. My dahua nvr shows constant connection and recording though. Seems like when the camera goes to total black screen is when the disconnects happen, 500+.
It just thinks it is. Due to the black screen it thinks it has lost signal.

Go into watchdog and uncheck the monochrome as loss of signal and all will be good.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Go into watchdog and uncheck the monochrome as loss of signal and all will be good.
I'll try it, but I get a yellow triangle and, on the "status-cameras" it shows red.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Bingo!! Once again, the man with a plan :thumb:

Zero disconnects last night. Now I need to just get the nighttime plates readable. :banghead:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The biggest thing for night is the 1/2000 shutter and park a car in the center of the field of view to get the focus number. You have to manual set the focus for night or run B/W 24/7.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The biggest thing for night is the 1/2000 shutter and park a car in the center of the field of view to get the focus number. You have to manual set the focus for night or run B/W 24/7.
Speaking on the centerfield of view, what's up with the center being out of focus. Cam13.20230809.jpgCam13.20230809 (2).jpgCam13.20230809 (3).jpg

And is the lens distortion normal? I know these cars have damage, lol, but the warping on the wheels I see on all shots.

Cam13.20230808_.jpgCam13.20230808.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The more you zoom, the more shallow the depth of focus. Depending on amount of zoom it could add some distortion as well.

It is very common for us to see people on either side of the street blurry with the car in focus or vice versa.

It is why most of us do a manual focus for day and night with a car in the ideal spot so we get the good focus where we want it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the distortion (warped wheels) you're seeing is really just a bit of optical illusion from the shadows and the angle because the camera is so low to the ground.

Last edited: