LPR with a pair of IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

Chicken

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had them unplugged the last two days as I added these LPR cameras and a few new of the IPC-T5442TM-AS. I have been running all of the permanent network cables the last few days. I should have everything plugged back in later this afternoon and can post some updates late tonight or tomorrow morning.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have had them unplugged the last two days as I added these LPR cameras and a few new of the IPC-T5442TM-AS. I have been running all of the permanent network cables the last few days. I should have everything plugged back in later this afternoon and can post some updates late tonight or tomorrow morning.
Thanks.

Chicken

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still working great. Here is a day shot and a night cropped shot. I want to keep playing with the settings when I have more time in a few weeks but so far every plate I have seen except a front plate that was bent backwards really bad I have been able to read just fine.
1966406D-3832-477E-A9E5-A3BD31194D5F.jpeg 723E8F98-50E1-47A9-B100-2DB343392EB6.jpeg

Chicken

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a video of the other camera during the day. While this camera is facing straight onto the street a lot of people cut my corner tight so they start turning early. So far day and night I can read the plates fine but I am tempted to try zooming down the street a little further for a better angle. I am just not sure if I’ll have enough IR reach as I am zoomed about 75% so far on the camera. I would prefer to not to have to add supplemental IR if I can avoid it. Thanks for the continued feedback.

Attachments

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I received my camera today and initially set mine up pretty much like Chicken did. Only I went with 25 FPS and 1/1000 night time shutter speed. To get the coverage I need I zoomed the camera out maybe 80%. I will have more information tonight.

Chicken

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good luck Parley.
I received my camera today and initially set mine up pretty much like Chicken did. Only I went with 25 FPS and 1/1000 night time shutter speed. To get the coverage I need I zoomed the camera out maybe 80%. I will have more information tonight.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Right now the camera is still hooked up to my LAN because I am still using the Dahua Config Tool to fine tune the camera. Eventually it will be hooked up to a Hikvision NVR which has limited tuning capabilities with Dahua cameras.

I kept the camera in color during the day as that was the best picture versus the B/W. As it turned out I have the same problem with everyone else in that when it gets dark and the change to night B/W the camera loses focus. So today I will have the camera in B/W during the day and night and I will fine tune everything and see what happens.

I tried color at night and it was not too bad but not good enough. By the way I have got used to my cameras with the 1/1.8" sensors. :)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, I have the daytime B/W pretty well dialed in. Here is a picture with the focus between the two parked cars left and right. Also shown is my Hikvion PTZ covering the same area.

LPR Cam 2.jpg

Camera 6 Front.jpg

Last edited:

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera shots look good, but I'm unclear what use they will be when all the neighborhood plates are all dirty and smudged. :wow:

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Parley: Being on a corner facing a dead end street isn't ideal when it would be much better to see who is coming into the neighborhood rather than out, no?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Parley: Being on a corner facing a dead end street isn't ideal when it would be much better to see who is coming into the neighborhood rather than out, no?
There is a street the you can make a right turn on that goes into a good portion of the track as seen in the photo and it gets a lot of traffic. I live on a 4 way intersection and will be installing 2 more cameras. Here are the other streets looking West and then East. I have since made some improvements to the daytime B/W picture. It is looking pretty good now. We shall see what tonight brings. :)

LPR 1 West.jpg

LPR 3 East.jpg

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Big steps forward today. One error I made was on the installation. I was trying to hide the camera up in the eave of the house but a beam is reflecting some of the IR light. I will need to lower the camera maybe 1/2". Even with that error I am reading license plates. :) Should be even better tomorrow. Right now I am at 1/1000 shutter speed at night.

Edit: It looks like keeping the camera in B/W for both day and night solved the problem of losing focus during the switch.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I am still fighting this thing. The camera was not switching from the day to night mode. So under Conditions/ Profile Management I just checked the Day/Night box. However I cannot select B/W for the daytime. We shall see what happens when the camera switches over tonight. My camera build is 2.800.0000005.0.R, Build Date: 2019-03-25.

Edit: The daytime mode is working very well in color.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
The night update. Things are a lot better. I am getting most of the plates now and I may have to order an IR light in order to get close to 100%. I am feeling a lot better about this tonight. :)

Next step is when it switches from dark to light in the morning. My other cameras may cover some of that transition period.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Everything worked great overnight. I was running it with the Dahua Config tool incase I needed to make some changes. When daylight came it did not go into color but stayed in B/W mode. I then hooked the camera up to my Hikvision NVR and it came up in color. So far so good. We shall see what the night brings. My fingers are crossed. :)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a still photo from tonight. A close in plate and one further away. I am still playing with it and making progress. I might have to add a small external IR light. I would say I am getting 80% of the plates at night. Also a picture of the same area with my Hikvision PTZ a few minutes later. The Hikvision has a 1/1.8" sensor.

LPR2.jpg

front_IP Camera6_front_20190719212944_6567898.jpg

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I made an adjustment to my NVR and it seems to have improved things a lot. The picture is much clearer and I will have to see what tonight brings. Maybe I am there and I do not need an external IR. Still 2000fps daytime shutter and 1000fps at night. The adjustments are pretty much as Chicken's. By the way the NVR is switching between day and night without a problem. B/W at night and color during the day. Now I can just about make out the furthest license plate in the distance. I had no hope for that before. :)

LPR NVR_IP Camera2_LPR NVR_20190720070607_816002.jpg

Last edited: