LPR with a pair of IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

bike_rider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In Night mode, under Backlighting, turn on HLC. Highlight compensation should tame the headlights.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I run 5231-Z12s & 5241-Z12s at almost max zoom. Agree with @bigredfish that height, angle, distance to target, choke points available or not + speed of target all play a big role. In my case I have no choke points near the cam zones (5231/5241) so pull plates at 30+ mph.
If you go with 1/2000 you shouldn’t need backlight but dropping to 1/1000 and 1/500 then HLC at 65-75 can be a big help, for me I run 1 cam at 1/2000 and the other at 1/1000. Tweak contrast a little, may also want to drop gamma a little. 30fps for me due to speed and small window for frames and works well. Can also play with compensation as well around 65. Lastly can tweak IR for me I go with manual and dial it in. Just remember 5241 has a little less reach on IR than the 5231s so just bear in mind when dialing in.
HTH

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In all these cases when you run the LPR software, you're still saving out the video capture of the event right? That way you can eyeball the plate if need be. At least that's what I've assumed you'd do...

Golfer

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry Im pretty new to this but how do you get to all of these advanced settings? I accessed mine through the phone app, computer app and the NVR itself and I dont have all of these config options.

Golfer

n3wb
Reaction score
Darn. So if I'm using a poe nvr I'll have to power the camera using a wall wart then plug the camera ethernet cable into my laptop? Then punch in the ip address into web browser?

You have to access the camera interface itself

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming you have a Dahua NVR, you go to the Registration page, at the bottom of which will be your cameras. Each one will have a little blue IE icon. Click it and it will open the web interface of your camera. Login and pass same as your NVR. Both NVR firmware versions below

NewNVRUI-CameraAccess2.jpg POE-NVR-AccessCameras.jpg

Golfer

n3wb
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I have same camera and have dialed in my LPR for day and night with all the great advice on this forum! So thanks for that!

So now I am thinking of adding an NVR to the mix so that I have longer storage than what the SD card has.

Will the settings in the camera interface remain the same or will they change when I get an NVR - in other words would the NVR default settings take precedent over what was set up in the camera itself and screw everything up, or will the NVR simply start recording that channel with the setting set in the camera interface?

Next question is which NVR? I would like a non-POE version as I already have POE injectors, so I just need one dataport. Plus this will allow me to move the NVR to wherever a network connection is.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as you don’t try and change any of the settings of the camera via the NVR they will retain their settings.

emde2

n3wb
Reaction score
A lot of great info in this thread. I'm about to purchase an IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E for use with Blue Iris. Working on a path for POE first though. Looking forward to this project!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As long as you don’t try and change any of the settings of the camera via the NVR they will retain their settings.
Thanks! Another question for you. I am looking to get an EmpireTech NVR and I noticed in a screenshot above in post #67 that you have an equivalent one also and your cameras are on the 10.x ip address - did you let the NVR assign those and then you use the IE icon to access the camera interface? You mention the user and password are the same - did the NVR do that or did you go into each camera and assign them the same user/PW? Did you have a user/PW on the camera prior and the NVR overwrites them?

Sorry for the crazy questions LOL - I finally have my cams dialed in and I want to make sure connecting a NVR to them doesn't screw up the settings and access!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. Let the NVR assign the IP and pass on a built in PoE NVR. It will by default assign the NVR pass to each camera. Don’t mess with the camera until connected and then via the blue IE icon.

Rednick69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought one of these and I have it setup. It works for a few days then gets out of focus. I know focus has been mentioned on here but could someone explain to me what I need to do to keep this thing focused?

Chicken

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought one of these and I have it setup. It works for a few days then gets out of focus. I know focus has been mentioned on here but could someone explain to me what I need to do to keep this thing focused?
I started with the dahua sunrise sunset utility someone built and is discussed heavily on this forum. I have it change to black and white an hour before sunset and change back to color an hour after sunrise. With that I used the sunrise/sunset app to see what the focus on the camera during the day and then when it changes each sunrise/sunset I have it manually set the focus. The problem is at night with the camera zoomed in to mostly just the street there is nothing for the camera to focus on so it change go out of focus like you are seeing. Setup the app and you should be in set.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^
this

leave it in B&W 24/7 and you’ll rarely lose focus. I don’t use the utility. I simply use the schedule profile to change exposure from day to night along with image changes like add contrast and HLC if you need it.

Rednick69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^^^^^
this

leave it in B&W 24/7 and you’ll rarely lose focus. I don’t use the utility. I simply use the schedule profile to change exposure from day to night along with image changes like add contrast and HLC if you need it.
I see what you're doing. I'm going to do this as well. I know our times will be different but is there a preferred time to have the schedule change it from day/night? 1 hour before, 1 hour after, spot on, etc.

Also as I'm typing this my camera swapped back to color on its on even though I have B/W set under the Day & Night settings.
1584736368730.png