Machine for BI and a few other things...

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Currently I've got an aging and under powered machine I leave next to my equipment rack to be available for programming of my control system and a few other things.

I've decided to move forward with Blue Iris for our 9 (will likely bump up to 11) camera setup. I've been running the Blue Iris Trial on this machine, and it feels a bit underpowered. I was looking at a local classified and was thinking this machine could work great.

Any thoughts or opinions? Ideally I'd find something that is rack mountable, but those seem to cost a lot for what they are and it certainly isn't a big deal. Would love any feedback on if that will be adequate and performant.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i7-4790 @4.0GHz NEW 256GB SSD 2TB 16GB
Everyone got an opinion and mine is that the i7-4790 (even @ 3.xGhz) is a fine processor to run your setup, with plenty of room for camera expansion, although you'll probably want to dump the 2GB drive for a larger drive which will give you more room for archival video. You may want to look for an i7-4790 Optiplex MT (Mini Tower for more internal drive bays) on eBay and add a WD 10GB Purple for video. twocents.gif

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently I've got an aging and under powered machine I leave next to my equipment rack to be available for programming of my control system and a few other things.

I've decided to move forward with Blue Iris for our 9 (will likely bump up to 11) camera setup. I've been running the Blue Iris Trial on this machine, and it feels a bit underpowered. I was looking at a local classified and was thinking this machine could work great.

Any thoughts or opinions? Ideally I'd find something that is rack mountable, but those seem to cost a lot for what they are and it certainly isn't a big deal. Would love any feedback on if that will be adequate and performant.
That price is an insane rip off for a machine that is many years old. For that kind of money you can buy an eighth generation elite desk

Last edited:

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That price is it an insane rip off for a machine that is many years old. For that kind of money you can buy an eighth generation elite desk
Thanks for the feedback. I may be missing something, but all the 8th generation elite desks that I can find are in the $1,000 range....

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't be the one to personally do it, but my help desk would. I don't know what they use, but they've done it before.
Ok...I use Clonezilla but I often have to resize the new drive's partition after cloning...it's free, but it's a tad clunky.

Reaction score
I gots the i7-4770i (USFF cpu...slightly less powerful than the full fledged i7-4770 in mid towers) with 16 gig ram running 16 cameras very fine and dandy. Gots it for $200 on ebay with 500mb HD and windows10. Unsure why your ebay listing is for $300, unless the i7-4790 is better. But $100 better? naw :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I may be missing something, but all the 8th generation elite desks that I can find are in the $1,000 range....
See the threads on this form you can buy an I five 8500 elite desk or pro desk for about 400 bucks on eBay the eighth generation five series is much powerful than your fourth generation I seven

Reaction score
and I thought that you can't clone windows nowadays, because the Windows 10 license is hard coded to your motherboard MAC address (or maybe NIC address?). I moved my HD from one PC to another, and Windows 10 would not activate. Had to have Windows live chat straighten things out.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a HP elitedesk i7-4790 tower with 16GB memory and a 1TB drive for under $200 off of ebay about 2 months ago. You need to wait and study to fined a good deal. I added an 240 GB SSD and a 4 TB wd purple drive. I did a Windows 10 clean install using the "microsoft media creation tool" .

Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and I thought that you can't clone windows nowadays, because the Windows 10 license is hard coded to your motherboard MAC address (or maybe NIC address?). I moved my HD from one PC to another, and Windows 10 would not activate. Had to have Windows live chat straighten things out.
You're confusing how System Locked Pre-installation (SLP) functions. You may clone a Windows 10 system drive without issue, although lack of SLP embedded in one's BIOS may create a problem with Windows activation.

Reaction score
I guess I have some CPU research to do. I thought any i7 would beat out any i5. I see now, I'm wrong. I see lots of i5's at auctions. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the i5-8's.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I have some CPU research to do. I thought any i7 would beat out any i5. I see now, I'm wrong. I see lots of i5's at auctions. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the i5-8's.
Keep in mind that -- for your present requirements application -- an i7-4790 will be fine. But it certainly make sense to get the most bang for your buck that is possible, eh?

Reaction score
I was unsure if my i7-4770 would power 16 cameras... so bought a 2u server rack mount case at local auction for $5, just in case :) Luckily, is not a problem. And I do not think I'll go above 16 camera's. Unless I look into...PTZ's! So always an option down the road to swap this from my USFF to server case (and then, can locally do the clips to WD purple instead of NAS).