Machine for BI and a few other things...

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I were to buy this exact machine, how would BI do with 16 4K cameras? What else should I add besides spinning disk for storage? I was reading the other Ryzan thread that indicated more and faster memory might be required.

What about a video card? Thanks!
Can’t handle it unless you use limit decoding. See choosing hardware and optimizing bi in wiki.

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
Can’t handle it unless you use limit decoding. See choosing hardware and optimizing bi in wiki.
Yeah I calculated out to around 1700 MP/sec. But then I look at those systems w/32 GB RAM and they are more expensive than my Alienware for Gaming!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I calculated out to around 1700 MP/sec. But then I look at those systems w/32 GB RAM and they are more expensive than my Alienware for Gaming!
You can add memory yourself. It’s the processor you need to figure out.

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
You can add memory yourself. It’s the processor you need to figure out.
Yeah the chart in the wiki said I should get a high end ryzen. But, the testing showed that the CPU was fairly idle in comparison. So it wasn't clear what the exact requirements are.

Reaction score
16 x 4K camera's? I hope this would be all inside an office setup or such, not at home with outside night vision needs.

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't worry, I did my research and chose appropriately for my application and trade offs. Here's a great review that goes into a lot of the details. There are some use cases where the camera is the best choice and some where a 2MP would be better. I obviously bought hardware based on my use cases.

All purchased through Andy after a couple of conversations with him too :)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How did you calculate the 1700 MP/Sec for 16 4K (8 MP) cameras.

Some of the numbers may be a little off, because they are not doing motion detection, or they are direct to disk,clone cameras.... the load can be tuned
Look at the BI CPU stats from what other people are doing.

Reaction score
probably, motion detection recording only? I'm at 16 camera's, most are 2MP and I'm continuous recording around 1600 MP/S myself. 16 x 4k camera's doing continuous would make my calculator blow up :) I have 2 8MP cams. They run 700-800k but they are only on motion, not continuous (my inside garage cameras). 16 x 800k = 12,800 range. Yep, that would blow up my i7-4770 cpu :)

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
I used this formula from the hardware wiki:

Add up the total megapixels per second (MP/s) you intend to run. Example: For two 8MP cameras each at 15 FPS you have 2 (cameras) * 8 (MP) * 15 (FPS) = 240 MP/s

Technically I did the math with the current 14 that I have.

14 * 8 * 15 = 1680

Since bringing everything online last night, I decided I want to add 2 more for some blind spots I'm not comfortable with. So I quickly rounded up to 1700 for the post. Based on your guys' posts it seems the formula on the wiki isn't what I should have been using?

I like to design for absolute worst case. So let's assume 24/7/365 recording. Seems like my HW is going to be expensive!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at other systems in the link I provided. The CPU processor load can be tuned, by changing in the camera, the frame rate, changing the quality setting, using vbr in, changes in BI can be adjusted by the motion detection, limit decoding, and a number of other settings.

see

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I read that too. I still need a ballpark proc and memory size/speed to start with =)

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
Well that's not too bad. My gaming machine has 16 i9-9900k cores w/ 16 GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 2080 Super. It's safely overclocked. I'll test BI recording all cameras at max res while viewing over a web browser or two on that with your i7-7800 spec in mind.