mail theft video - license plate possible?

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've attached a video of my mail being stolen this morning and obviously I'd like to catch these hoodlums. How can I get the best quality from a bvr file? Is it possible to get a license plate from this? Thanks in advanced.
How the camera was configured;
cam config Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 6.56.40 AM.png
How it was recorded;
recorded dir2disk Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 6.46.43 AM.png
How it was converted;
convert no re-encode Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 6.35.31 AM.png

The video:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need a dedicated license plate cam...that camera will never read a plate

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No, you can't get a license plate from this. Since you are using direct to disk you are already getting the best quality into your BVR files. If you want to read plates, you need another camera with much (much) tighter zoom and a fixed exposure of about 1/500th second or faster. Your camera there was probably running 1/30 or 1/60th at best and so the bright spots (car lights and plate) were totally washed out.

No non-fictional image enhancement can turn that into a readable plate. Here is the best you'll get:

->

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You need a dedicated license plate cam...that camera will never read a plate
That's what I thought. Mail theft was my intended use for that camera, it was to keep an eye on the front and the cars in the driveway. Thanks for taking a look.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, you can't get a license plate from this. Since you are using direct to disk you are already getting the best quality into your BVR files. If you want to read plates, you need another camera with much (much) tighter zoom and a fixed exposure of about 1/500th second or faster. Your camera there was probably running 1/30 or 1/60th at best and so the bright spots (car lights and plate) were totally washed out.
No non-fictional image enhancement can turn that into a readable plate. Here is the best you'll get:
/QUOTE]

Darn...I guess I've watched too many movies. The girls face came in pretty good.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Aw c'mon. They do it on tv all the time, and with much lower quality video. :)

Reactions: jrf

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's what I thought. Mail theft was my intended use for that camera, it was to keep an eye on the front and the cars in the driveway. Thanks for taking a look.
I had meant to say that Mail theft was NOT my intention for that camera though I may still look at LPR. I checked my "Informed Delivery" and they only got away with some junk mail. Time for me to get a locking mail box.

Thanks everyone for your help,

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had meant to say that Mail theft was NOT my intention for that camera though I may still look at LPR. I checked my "Informed Delivery" and they only got away with some junk mail. Time for me to get a locking mail box.

Thanks everyone for your help,
Even though it was junk mail, it's still worth reporting to USPS.

Also consider OptOutPrescreen.com to stop most credit card offers in the mail.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Even though it was junk mail, it's still worth reporting to USPS.

Also consider OptOutPrescreen.com to stop most credit card offers in the mail.
I had opted out of credit card offers a few years ago along with Penny saver and a couple others.

I forgot to mention that I did report it to the postmaster and provided a link to the video.

In October of last year I had some free UPS shipping supplies stolen off the front porch. Since it was UPS and not USPS I reported it to Riverside police dept and provided them the following video;

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
why is there mail in your mailbox at 4:31am?
Yea, kind of stupid of me, I'm usually pretty good getting my mail and I know better. I think I'm becoming forgetful in my old age...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
You need two more cams. One zoomed in on the mailbox to get faces and another on the road to get plates.