Memory creeping on Intel Graphics 530

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Did you see my post from 8:50 am today? I didn't even remember setting some of the cameras for H264+ or H265 but when I set them all for H264 it was the end of the problems.

Yes, saw that. Mine are all set to h.264. I found one that I'd accidentally left on 265 on the substream and fixed that last night - so who knows... maybe that's all it took? I'm on a 4th gen i7, which apparently can't take advantage of the h265 protocol - so I tried to get them all to 264.

For the record, everything was great up until about 10 days ago (give or take a week). Nothing changed on my dedicated machine.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine will go with bouts like that as well - all Windows updates are disabled, BI only updates when I tell it. Runs flawlessly for weeks on end, then it will crash/restart for a few days and then go back to no crashing.

I figure it was some junk in Windows causing it, so I have been rebooting the machine when it happens and that took care of it. But recently I tried to manually run maintenance (mine is disabled from doing it daily) when it happened and that stopped it.

Maybe something similar or completely different. YMMV.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Mine will go with bouts like that as well - all Windows updates are disabled, BI only updates when I tell it. Runs flawlessly for weeks on end, then it will crash/restart for a few days and then go back to no crashing.

I figure it was some junk in Windows causing it, so I have been rebooting the machine when it happens and that took care of it. But recently I tried to manually run maintenance (mine is disabled from doing it daily) when it happened and that stopped it.

Maybe something similar or completely different. YMMV.
I try to keep as much MS influence out of my PC as I can. But tell me, what's the manual maintenance?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By default, BI is set to run compact/repair/maintenance every day at 2am (BI Settings under clips and archiving). But when this is ran, BI is not recording. Depending on how active your cameras are on triggers and how many cameras, this could take a few moments or several minutes. But at 2am, that is prime time for a perp to be out and about.

So many here disable the auto run and do it manually when they are in the system and can be watching their cameras to see what is happening. Or some change it to like noon or some other time when hopefully something doesn't happen.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
By default, BI is set to run compact/repair/maintenance every day at 2am (BI Settings under clips and archiving). But when this is ran, BI is not recording. Depending on how active your cameras are on triggers and how many cameras, this could take a few moments or several minutes. But at 2am, that is prime time for a perp to be out and about.

So many here disable the auto run and do it manually when they are in the system and can be watching their cameras to see what is happening. Or some change it to like noon or some other time when hopefully something doesn't happen.

Oh, I thought you meant Windows maintenance. I actually have BI doing the database maintenance using the default automatic settings. In fact, during the peak of instability, I've even renamed the db folder and had it completely regenerate it. Sometimes that seems to help. Other times, not so much.

I just wish there was a better set of debugging tools or documentation to help nail down these gremlins. Such a stellar product that's evolved so well, and yet, it seems plagued by stability caused by phantom things.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I googled and found "Services.msc" was where a guy could disable Windows update. Not sure if thats the tried and true method but I'm always down for a bit of fuckery when I want my way with these computational motherfuckers called Personal Computers.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
In other news..... C:\ on the home workstation was gone upon boot up. Samsung EVO 860. Musta been that last Cat video dancing with Putin. luckily i'm writing daily incrementals to J:\ drive been doing it on its own daily for 2 years now.
was so glad to have a spare Pc laying around to copy the image to a different SSD. back up and running after a 3 hour tour of my closets looking for my USB SSD drive hookerupper and other crap.ssd.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, if anyone is still following along, I will update this saga.
Finally got my grubby hands on this machine.
Fresh install of Win10, with the Media Creation Tool.
Let WIn update install needed drivers.
Fresh install of BI, set back up from scratch.
Installed the latest Intel Video driver. (I've lost track of how many different versions I've tried of that driver.)
I also installed a Display Port Dongle.

It's better, but no cigar, it will still creep up memory over a period of 4-8 days, and if I don't catch it and reboot before it climbs above 60% memory, it will lockup and need a power cycle.

BI support has not had any suggestions, Ken did a remote session on it and found nothing of interest. He never even mentioned the video driver problem.

My daughter lives on a canal in Florida, and that computer doesn't understand how close it has came to being chucked off the deck into said canal. ;)

I'd really appreciate it if @fenderman or @bp2008 could chime in if they have the chance.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, if anyone is still following along, I will update this saga.
Finally got my grubby hands on this machine.
Fresh install of Win10, with the Media Creation Tool.
Let WIn update install needed drivers.
Fresh install of BI, set back up from scratch.
Installed the latest Intel Video driver. (I've lost track of how many different versions I've tried of that driver.)

It's better, but no cigar, it will still creep up memory over a period of 4-8 days, and if I don't catch it and reboot before it climbs above 60% memory, it will lockup and need a power cycle.

BI support has not had any suggestions, Ken did a remote session on it and found nothing of interest. He never even mentioned the video driver problem.

My daughter lives on a canal in Florida, and that computer doesn't understand how close it has came to being chucked off the deck into said canal. ;)

I'd really appreciate it if @fenderman or @bp2008 could chime in if they have the chance.
Are you using the latest DCH drivers?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using the latest DCH drivers?
Yes sir. but, The version match's, but the date doesn't.
Forgot to mention, I also installed a Display port dongle about a month ago.

1625078530640.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I take it this is a headless install?

If not, since you are installing Intel HD Graphics 530 drivers, I take it that there is no graphics card installed? Have you considered installing a cheep Nvidia card and disabling the on board graphics?
Yes, headless. No graphic card.
I'd rather not go that route, but if so, what would you suggest for an HP EliteDesk G2, i7-6700

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah EVGA is good. I have the EVGA GTX1060 6GB card in the 9020 Opti. But I had to scrounge up an Ebay PSU from a Dell Precision Tower with the higher wattage output to meet the min req. ...I wonder if they have a something that doesnt require a Power supply upgrade and is low profile.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
heres something in Florida. these are work horses. Does not require additional power connector to run, max power consumption 40W. it's a low profile card. You'll find Quadro in SFF corporate machines from Dell, HP, etc...Of course also in Workstations for CAD.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
this one is buy it now. The P1000 card is 2017 tech. the Quadro K1200 card is 2015 tech. Pretty close to the era of your Elitedesk. 45 watt max power draw.

Ok ill stop. This is had the Low Profile bracket already installed. Having said that, he'll surely ship you one with a full height bracket.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I googled and found "Services.msc" was where a guy could disable Windows update. Not sure if thats the tried and true method but I'm always down for a bit of fuckery when I want my way with these computational motherfuckers called Personal Computers.
You can disable it. I have a tool written by someone I know that does just that. Unfortunately, I can't hand it out as he doesn't want it going beyond a tight group he shared it to. It basically gives you options to enable and disable it at will with full disablement plus the delay options MS subsequently put in Windows anyway.

However, you can achieve the same outcome manually with a reg edit. There are instructions on the web but I can't verify any of them.

One issue with turning update off is I believe MS has sought to punish those who do it by making updates expire, so that after a certain length of time, you cannot install an update, even if you want or need to, if you failed to install it after release. Not sure how that works as when you reinstall you can update your pc, so maybe it puts some marker in the registry? Unsure.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, resurrecting this thread.

I never did solve this. I'm going to replace the computer, as I don't know what else to do at this point.
It's been a huge pain in the ass for me and my daughter. She is gone from home for work sometimes weeks at a time, so it's not doing her a lick of good.
I limped it along for a time by using a program I found that would clear memory on a schedule which I had it doing twice a day. But still had issues from time to time with the computer becoming un-responsive to the point I couldn't access it with Teamviewer.
I will be on site in a few weeks, and intend to replace it with a G4 or G5 Elitedesk of some flavor.
If anyone has any suggestions about making sure this new sucker is stable, I'm all ears.
Or I may just commit heresy, and throw the BI pc in the canal and replace it with a Dahua NVR. :smash:

Blue Iris has been total bust for this location so far.