Mini PTZ: brick after firmware wrong

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where is the reset button on the mini ptz? I can't find it.
@vasycara
It's the same firmware for both i think, MiniPTZ and SpeedDome works with the same firmware for me. I've tried IPNC_Amba_V1.0.2_build201511191322 which I got from Monica after I asked for a newer fw for my Speed PTZ dome and I tried same fw for MiniPTZ from this forum, but I went back to IPNC_Amba_V1.0.2_build201509241743 which I got also from the MiniPTZ thread. All MiniPTZ firmwares seems to be working for my SpeedDome without any problems. Motion detection etc. is working just fine. I sugest you tp check the correct IP of the camera after you press and hold that reset button, it wont reset it to default ip as *.*.*.99, it might be different. Try it with Look@LAN or similar soft.

vasycara

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@vasycara
It's the same firmware for both i think, MiniPTZ and SpeedDome works with the same firmware for me. I've tried IPNC_Amba_V1.0.2_build201511191322 which I got from Monica after I asked for a newer fw for my Speed PTZ dome and I tried same fw for MiniPTZ from this forum, but I went back to IPNC_Amba_V1.0.2_build201509241743 which I got also from the MiniPTZ thread. All MiniPTZ firmwares seems to be working for my SpeedDome without any problems. Motion detection etc. is working just fine. I sugest you tp check the correct IP of the camera after you press and hold that reset button, it wont reset it to default ip as *.*.*.99, it might be different. Try it with Look@LAN or similar soft.
Mini PTZ does not have button reset.Firmware for SpeedDome brick mini ptz.
LAN ip checked, he is not Mini PTZ Ip
Mini PTZ is brick, not answering ping.
Any ideas for TFTP?

Jeffi

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry didn't know that it does not have the reset button, im plannin to get 2gen miniptz in a few weeks for testing. I still don't think its a brick as the Huisun firmwares should be compatible with both, dome and mini. I think that its a ip issue, try to search with Look@LAN app or similar one, but before that set your router ip range to 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254 and submask to 255.255.255.0 and reboot both.I dont think TFTP will help you much and the Ambarella bootloader shell at port 3232 is protected with password which even Monica didnt know or their engineers. There is a one way to bypass the Ambarella login but you will need to locate the uart pins on the PCB and connect to the cam with TTL to USB adapter. Ambarella login bypass is similar to the GoPro cams, you need to reboot the cam, connect to the uart with Amba bootloader output (baudrate 115200) and keep pressing the Enter on your keyboard while starting up your cam. This should give you access to Ambarella without the password and there you can do all the magic to the firmware. Hopefully you get it solved.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a one way to bypass the Ambarella login but you will need to locate the uart pins on the PCB and connect to the cam with TTL to USB adapter. Ambarella login bypass is similar to the GoPro cams, you need to reboot the cam, connect to the uart with Amba bootloader output (baudrate 115200) and keep pressing the Enter on your keyboard while starting up your cam. This should give you access to Ambarella without the password and there you can do all the magic to the firmware. Hopefully you get it solved.
Found a nice blog that outlines this procedure (hacking a Dropcam):
http://blog.includesecurity.com/2014/04/reverse-engineering-dropcam-rooting-the-device.html

Last edited by a moderator:

vasycara

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I set me router ip range to 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254 and submask to 255.255.255.0 and reboot both.
I tried to search with ipscan24 but nothing.
The camera does not appear in LAN.
Camera is brick. I asked Monica ,did not give a solution.

korakora

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just contributed an idea, if I was you I would do
1. Create a router dhcp (who knows IPCam need ip dhcp from router)
2. if point 1 doesnt solve then install network analyzer (like http://www.colasoft.com/capsa) who knows you will get trap an IP from the IPCam
3. Okay I'm done may indeed need to expert level :)

vasycara

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
from Monica.JPGThis is answer from Monica:
Monica Wen2016-01-26 23:19:51
Dear maier,how are you,nowcamera' main board is broken,so you need send board to me,we help you fix, but the shipping fee is high,
my advise that if you buy two pcs camera again,i try my best to apply one new board to you .
you know how to excrete camera??
Monica wen

tjobbie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
this is bullshit, this is no service. why don't they just send another main unit only then for a small fee?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 7957This is answer from Monica:
Monica Wen2016-01-26 23:19:51
Dear maier,how are you,nowcamera' main board is broken,so you need send board to me,we help you fix, but the shipping fee is high,
my advise that if you buy two pcs camera again,i try my best to apply one new board to you .
you know how to excrete camera??
Monica wen

Unfortunately, it's a risk we all take buying anything directly from Aliexpress or any Chinese retailer (except some that have US hubs such as DX.com). Shipping back to China is expensive and not worth the $$. Last time I checked to ship entire camera with USPS priority w/ tracking is ~$70, so you might as well buy another one if she can offer you some discount.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
this is bullshit, this is no service. why don't they just send another main unit only then for a small fee?
You would think that it would be fair thing to pay a fee for a replacement part if possible, but that part might be the most expensive out of the entire camera and might not be easy to replace which makes not feasible for either them or the user.

tjobbie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But it is when he decides to buy 2 new camera's? If I'm not mistaken she tries to ad a new main board with the shipment of 2 new Camera's so in other words it could be done by a end user. But she will only try when he decides to buy 2 additional Camera's? No.. Not ok..

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
True, but shipping just the main board back wouldn't be quite as extreme. In fact, if you've got a 3rd party shipping account (such as stamps.com), you could probably send the board First Class International with insurance for under $20.

You've at least got to give them credit for offering to fix it if you pay the shipping. That's more than Hikvision will do with a Chinese import. Brick one of those with the wrong firmware and they'll tell you "sorry, your cam has no warranty"...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I reached out to Monica and she said the same thing about dome firmware "breaking camera"...

korakora

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hi vasycara

since the warranty has no option, can we focus just how to recovery

can you set your pc ip to 192.168.0.128 (dont use another ip)
then load tftp, then try turning ipcam, if ipcam appear in the tftp means you are lucky :)

this method is same way like i did when my hikvision cam upgrade with wrong firmware

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
can you set your pc ip to 192.168.0.128 (dont use another ip)
If trying the standard Hikvision method, the PC IP address should be 192.0.0.128 for use with the Hikvision-specific tftp server.

As the network protocols are closely following those of Hikvision (which they do publish for 3rd party use) I'd be surprised if the Huisin engineers (who have been mentioned as ex-Hikvision engineers) have not built in a robust recovery facility.
Usually - but not always - a firmware update does not touch the bootloader, which itself has recovery facilities built in.
So it's a bit surprising that the dialogue with Huisin has suggested that the main board is no longer usable just because of a wrong version firmware update.
So @vasycara if you do decide to test if there is any attempted access to the tftp server - are you familiar with how to capture network traffic with something like wireshark?
If so - it may be interesting to see what happens on the network when the camera is powered on.

Last edited by a moderator: