Mini PTZ camera impressions! 2015 PTZ camera of the year? AVOID THIS CAMERA

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone hooked a mic up? Will it support a passive mic?
yes, I have used a passive mic (mic arm snapped of an old headset) I've also connected a powered mic.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Gain-Wide-Range-Extremely-Sensitive-CCTV-Microphone-Free-UK-Postage-/361373379778?var=&hash=item5423882cc2:m:mb26yDyYtWWs6p6rvGhVZ-w

Both worked reasonably well. The huisun lacks the in built environmental noise reduction of my hikvision so background noise is a little loud though. I have been better able to adjust the volume and gain in both the camera and also blue iris to get better results from the powered one.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just finished reading through the whole thread (phew!) and so tempted. Have a baby on the way next month so I have to be frugal at the moment but I'm so tempted! I currently have some Dahua bullets which largely do the job. But for the price of some of these I'm thinking why not! Has anyone tried the Mini Bullet pan and tilt model (no zoom but appears to be PoE).

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-New-Model-1-3MP-IP-4mm-Lens-Sony-CMOS-Fixed-Zoom-Bullet-PTZ-Camera/1248007_32445396120.html

I don't really need the zoom but sometimes it would be nice to see what's happening up and down the street. $46 is half the price of the Dahua Bullets (although the Dahuas are 3mp and this is 1.3).

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just finished reading through the whole thread (phew!) and so tempted. Have a baby on the way next month so I have to be frugal at the moment but I'm so tempted! I currently have some Dahua bullets which largely do the job. But for the price of some of these I'm thinking why not! Has anyone tried the Mini Bullet pan and tilt model (no zoom but appears to be PoE).

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-New-Model-1-3MP-IP-4mm-Lens-Sony-CMOS-Fixed-Zoom-Bullet-PTZ-Camera/1248007_32445396120.html

I don't really need the zoom but sometimes it would be nice to see what's happening up and down the street. $46 is half the price of the Dahua Bullets (although the Dahuas are 3mp and this is 1.3).
Welcome to the forums Dene!

I haven't tried any of the fixed lens models, but I do have a 1.3mp 4x version. The image quality is really dissapointing, significantly worse than any other camera I have running in 720p (natively, or set to 720 to save bandwidth). I don't know if the fixed uses the same sensor as the 4x, but just thought I'd warn you in case. (Apparently the 2mp 3x model has a great image though)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Dene!

I haven't tried any of the fixed lens models, but I do have a 1.3mp 4x version. The image quality is really dissapointing, significantly worse than any other camera I have running in 720p (natively, or set to 720 to save bandwidth). I don't know if the fixed uses the same sensor as the 4x, but just thought I'd warn you in case. (Apparently the 2mp 3x model has a great image though)
and did you try at full bit rate and fps? It probably has the same issue where if run it low fps and bitrate you are not getting full quality.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and did you try at full bit rate and fps? It probably has the same issue where if run it low fps and bitrate you are not getting full quality.
Yes, I tried everything. Similar settings to the 2mp 10x with their great pic too.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there! Do at your own risk! I always open up my cams that don't have auto anything and manually adjust the lens to my liking.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there! Do at your own risk! I always open up my cams that don't have auto anything and manually adjust the lens to my liking.
May work for the fixed version, who knows, but no go for the 4x I have. :)

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got a new one few days ago. Software feels different compared to the one I bought in the fall, though I can't directly compare cause I sold it to a friend.

Maybe someone can help me with this. I set preset 1 on a certain area, zoomed. I look at something else. I now attempt to CALL preset 1. The camera goes out of focus, moves to preset 1, unzoomed, refocuses. Why didn't the preset save the zoom function?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
That's because your new cam came with latest firmware which has a bug with presets. Simply load previous firmware from the other thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried searching the thread but came up empty--can someone confirm my understanding of the zoom range on this camera?

If I am looking at the right thing, the specs list the focal length range as 5.1 mm - 51 mm. If the sensor is about 0.25" that makes the focal length in 35 mm camera terms something like 55 mm - 550 mm... Right? (I'm using this chart as a guide.)

It's important that I figure out the zoom specs so that I can look through a real camera and plan where to put this sucker.

Thanks for the help!

dmanindfw

n3wb
Reaction score
Can this camera be inverted easily or is that a no-no? I purchased one and finally got in. In preparation I already ran cable but then realized my mistake when the camera came in. The mount prohibits me from mounting it where I wanted to...above my garage door and under the roof overhang. I don't have enough of a vertical wall to mount it as the camera hits my overhang. I suppose I could find or make a drop bracket but then aesthetics comes into play as it may be lower than the top of my garage door. Wife and likely HOA wouldn't appreciate that much. Any thoughts? Anyone know of an appropriate bracket that may work? Another thought is to use some type of extension to move the camera horizontally further from roof and front of house. Last resort is to relocate camera to either side of garage door and lower. Sigh...measure twice, cut once comes to mind.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can this camera be inverted easily or is that a no-no? I purchased one and finally got in. In preparation I already ran cable but then realized my mistake when the camera came in. The mount prohibits me from mounting it where I wanted to...above my garage door and under the roof overhang. I don't have enough of a vertical wall to mount it as the camera hits my overhang. I suppose I could find or make a drop bracket but then aesthetics comes into play as it may be lower than the top of my garage door. Wife and likely HOA wouldn't appreciate that much. Any thoughts? Anyone know of an appropriate bracket that may work? Another thought is to use some type of extension to move the camera horizontally further from roof and front of house. Last resort is to relocate camera to either side of garage door and lower. Sigh...measure twice, cut once comes to mind.
There is the option in the web interface to mirror the image up/down, so technically I guess it would work. However you would only have 5° downward tilt, and personally I'd question the ability of the pan/tilt joints/construction to last long with the weight hanging down off them that way.

When these first came out I asked Monica is there was a bracket available for mounting them under the eaves and she said no, and nothing was in the works. I think you may need to come up with your own custom bracket or extension, or as you say, find a different spot.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had similar issue where I wanted to mount it on my fascia under the gutter but found when it pans right around it hits the gutter. My solution was to mount a junction box and attach the camera to the lid of the box.

dmanindfw

n3wb
Reaction score
I had similar issue where I wanted to mount it on my fascia under the gutter but found when it pans right around it hits the gutter. My solution was to mount a junction box and attach the camera to the lid of the box.
Yep, I made a visit to the depot last night, purchased a weather proof junction box, some EMT conduit, some J-loop brackets, and masonry and stainless screws and bolts. Will relocate my Cat6 cable drop to the left of the garage and mount everything up. It actually will work out better as I have direct line of sight down both ends of the road that way without trees getting in the way. The wife sort of approved...she does but doesn't want cameras if that makes sense. She's already complaining about the NVR in the closet making too much noise...although it is quite quiet.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is a huge camera to mount that low. I understand you want ptz, but a turret cam would be much better suited in that location or a mini dome / recessed ptz if you must have ptz.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The wife sort of approved...she does but doesn't want cameras if that makes sense.
My minister for war and finance was the same way but now she loves the cameras. She likes that when she is at home by herself and hears something outside that a quick glance is all she needs to know that there is nothing to worry about.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
My minister for war and finance was the same way but now she loves the cameras. She likes that when she is at home by herself and hears something outside that a quick glance is all she needs to know that there is nothing to worry about.
Funniest thing I bet I'll read today! Haha!