Mini PTZ camera impressions! 2015 PTZ camera of the year? AVOID THIS CAMERA

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The Huisun I put up two days ago has been inaccessible since ... two days ago ... because the cellular internet connection it is on is unreliable. :(

It is on the edge of a mountain and has a very nice scenic view in most directions. This isn't going to be its usual view, but it is just about all I have until the internet comes back up there.

dmanindfw

n3wb
Reaction score
So I'm confused, mainly because of my ignorance as I don't have any equipment as of yet, just thinking of ordering one of these to start with. So I will mainly be viewing recorded video likely stored on a Hik NVR. Will the quality of recorded video be disappointing if I'm only doing 10 or 15 FPS recorded with this camera? I understand that live quality is outstanding but if I read correctly, recorded video may not be great if not using 30 FPS or am I missing something? I will likely have 1 of these and then 2-3 more cameras (Hik fixed?). Also can this camera be set to constantly scan back and forth (patrol?) or is that not recommended for reliability or quality reasons?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Recorded video will be fine, I have used these settings too, just put higher bitrate.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmanindfw

n3wb
Reaction score
Recorded video will be fine, I have used these settings too.
Where do you think I'm stealing all of my info from? Haha. So the low bit rates you are seeing at 10 FPS aren't affecting the video quality? That is where I am getting confused. It sounds like live view is great but recorded is subpar or am I misunderstanding. You have yours constantly patrolling or did you find an ideal spot and it's not acting more or less like a fixed camera?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Just use higher bitrate to compensate for dependency with low fps.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Where do you think I'm stealing all of my info from? Haha. So the low bit rates you are seeing at 10 FPS aren't affecting the video quality? That is where I am getting confused. It sounds like live view is great but recorded is subpar or am I misunderstanding. You have yours constantly patrolling or did you find an ideal spot and it's not acting more or less like a fixed camera?
For my 2 mini ptz cameras, I find 10 FPS not being good enough (live view) so I now run my cameras at 12 FPS and 10240 Bitrate. I had been running 15 FPS with 8192 Bitrate, but I wanted to reduce my frame rate to as low as possible with still having a good live view and recorded videos that are as good as my Hikvision cameras.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For my 2 mini ptz cameras, I find 10 FPS not being good enough (live view) so I now run my cameras at 12 FPS and 10240 Bitrate. I had been running 15 FPS with 8192 Bitrate, but I wanted to reduce my frame rate to as low as possible with still having a good live view and recorded videos that are as good as my Hikvision cameras.
I'm going to try this! Thanks!

fcanete

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, after two tests with an Ubiquiti POE switch, and a power source with 5A output, still no luck...

Captura.PNG

As you can see, the voltage supplied by the adjustable power source is 12.3V. Also, the camera becomes warm when POE powered. The settings in the image to see the fluorescent tubes are brightness 76, and contrast 20. None of PTZ controls runs, but in the start, the stepper motor moves.

Time to ask to Monica...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You said "The image in the browser it's totally black" but this is a gray image. Also if you had black screen time stamp and menu wouldn't be visible. This is a different issue and I don't think anyone reported this yet.

fcanete

n3wb
Reaction score
You said "The image in the browser it's totally black" but this is a gray image. Also if you had black screen time stamp and menu wouldn't be visible. This is a different issue and I don't think anyone reported this yet.
The image obtained in the browser is black with the default image settings, but with the brightness=76 and contrast=20, the image is grey, and you can see the three tubes in the ceiling. In both cases, the time stamp is visible. This is not a power issue, but before contact with Monica, I can try some tests, after that I've reset the camera to the defaults, but again no luck. Tomorrow I'll open the case...
Best regards,

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Hoog23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a deal today? Prices looked the same (when I used the link in 1st post).

Thanks

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Just curious, why is it disappointing? Was there a significantly better deal in the past? The total cost seems very reasonable for what you get.
We expected bigger discount then $3. Even just free shipping would've been nice.

Icarus

n3wb
Reaction score
We expected bigger discount then $3. Even just free shipping would've been nice.
Oh, well, I took the three dollars after begging for more and not getting it. If it works half as good as these posts say, I'll be happy enough. :peaceful:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The Huisun I put up two days ago has been inaccessible since ... two days ago ... because the cellular internet connection it is on is unreliable. :(

It is on the edge of a mountain and has a very nice scenic view in most directions. This isn't going to be its usual view, but it is just about all I have until the internet comes back up there.

Semi-permanent position here:

Obviously this is being used as a weather cam.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Semi-permanent position here:

Obviously this is being used as a weather cam.
Looks great for a day weather cam...Unfortunately, with a slowest shutter speed of only 1/25, it's very unlikely you'll get to do any nighttime cloud monitoring. This is the biggest thing holding me back on upgrading my weather/nature cams to one of these PTZs...Along with the limited "upward" tilt that would prevent you from being able to zoom in on clouds to get a close, detailed look at their structure.