Mini-Review - 5442-Z4E-S3 AKA B54IR-Z4E S3 - Replacement to the 5442-Z4E

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
That cam looks delicious! Wonder how much it costs? 10-50mm.
I did a quick search and saw one for sale on Ebay at $999. Others were up to $1499. A little pricey. Hopefully with all the good information I got this morning from the people on this forum I can get this camera to work like it should tonight. I think using the Customize Scene was a big step in the right direction and the use of the Exposure section.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
@Parley - my image is complete black at night with a 1/10,000 shutter.

So I am thinking SSA or some other backlight is on in yours, maybe something wonky with the firmware.

Try the ole factory reset 3 times and see if it clears it up.

View attachment 179450
Now that is an interesting picture and does give me great hope for this camera. SSA is off, but I will double check. I went to download the 2nd firmware update this morning from Andy and it had been deleted. I sent him another private message to let him know what happened. If he resends it, I will download it tonight and not wait. By the way the 1/10000 shutter speed was under Day/Night and Self Adaptive. Let's see how Customized Scene works tonight. Daytime looks good so far.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can see how backlight would come on with self-adaptive. In my testing I was calling it the "reolink version" LOL in that I think the self-adaptive is trying to produce the brightest image possible within the settings defined by the user, so it would do some behind the scenes things that I think was causing your issue.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I was looking at those. Andy said price is around 800$. I need an upgrade from the ITC437 which has a slower shutter speed and cant capture vehicles faster that around 35 mph. I have speeders going up to 60 on my road.
Let us know if you decide to purchase one.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Let us know if you decide to purchase one.
Will do, but it's probably going to be a while.

My capture distance is about 90 feet, upper limit of IR range for this camera. I'll have to look into external IR source.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the real world intel. It looks to be a real winner.
Hear, Hear!

As I said in the beginning of this thread, the night time imaging of this camera is leaps and bounds better than what was already the king of the hill predecessor with the previous chipset.

Personally, I think it is very close in quality to the 4K cameras on the 1/1.2" sensor. And while the 4K camera still has a place, the Z4E is far more versatile with its optical zoom and ability to see infrared, both features that the 4K cameras do not have.

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As I said in the beginning of this thread, the night time imaging of this camera is leaps and bounds better than what was already the king of the hill predecessor with the previous chipset.

Personally, I think it is very close in quality to the 4K cameras on the 1/1.2" sensor. And while the 4K camera still has a place, the Z4E is far more versatile with its optical zoom and ability to see infrared, both features that the 4K cameras do not have.
Can you expand a bit more on this ... particularly WRT to low-light quality?
I.e. if you put the Z4E against a 4k-1/1.2" sensor camera, how would they compare WITHOUT illumination ... and NOT putting the Z4E into infrared mode?

I certainly agree that a BIG WIN for the Z4E is using the optical zoom to "frame" the field-of-view exactly as you want it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you expand a bit more on this ... particularly WRT to low-light quality?
I.e. if you put the Z4E against a 4k-1/1.2" sensor camera, how would they compare WITHOUT illumination ... and NOT putting the Z4E into infrared mode?

I certainly agree that a BIG WIN for the Z4E is using the optical zoom to "frame" the field-of-view exactly as you want it.
WITHOUT illumination of any kind both cameras will suck. The 4K still needs light and looks like crap without any.

That is the biggest mistake people make is buying a full color camera expecting it to be magic and work with no light and then complaining or returning it because they don't have enough light and don't want to use the built in white light.

But with the same amount of illumination, the Z4E comes close to the 4K. Not enough difference to me to warrant the 4K over this, but at the same time I wouldn't use the Z4E for 15 feet away either - I would go with the 4K/T or 4K/X in that situation.

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep - you gotta have SOME light! ;-)

Just to be clear, when you say "But with the same amount of illumination, the Z4E comes close to the 4K", you are referring to visible light comparison - not B&W infrared on the Z4E- right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep - you gotta have SOME light! ;-)

Just to be clear, when you say "But with the same amount of illumination, the Z4E comes close to the 4K", you are referring to visible light comparison - not B&W infrared on the Z4E- right?
That is correct - running the Z4E in color.

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj for your expert comments.

Per my earlier post, really impressive that the F/1.8 and 1/1.8" sensor Z4E camera has comparable (visible) low light capability as the the IPC-Color4K-T ... which is F/1.0 and 1/1.2" sensor.

I think I know what to ask Santa for ... ;-)